Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Newbie here. Just bought a Street Triple R and barely have 200 miles on it and I had the engine stalled on me on four different riding occasions. What occurred in order (to the best of my recollection):

-Clutch lever was pulled
-Downshifting from 3rd to 2nd
-Brakes (front and rear) were used while decelerating and shifting
-Engine cut out and red indicator lit up
-I quickly restarted during coasting

sidenote:
The use of the quick shifter is clunky at times. Upshift is generally okay. Downshift is sticky with 3rd and 2nd gear.
Installed a Denali sound bomb mini using existing wires from the OEM horn.
RPM indicator is set to 5k (for break-in period)
Was missing SPORT and RIDER modes upon purchase and they spent about 30 minutes updating software before I agreed to buy it.

I plan on taking the bike in this week to figure out what's going on with the bike. Very concerning.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Newbie here. Just bought a Street Triple R and barely have 200 miles on it and I had the engine stalled on me on four different riding occasions. What occurred in order (to the best of my recollection):

-Clutch lever was pulled

sidenote:
The use of the quick shifter is clunky at times. Upshift is generally okay. Downshift is sticky with 3rd and 2nd gear.
Was missing SPORT and RIDER modes upon purchase and they spent about 30 minutes updating software before I agreed to buy it.

I plan on taking the bike in this week to figure out what's going on with the bike. Very concerning.
Hi, since I had the map tune update , I've had no stalling and have now 15000 kilometres on the bike. It's a great bike once these issues are fixed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same here - happened once at 500 ish miles during run in. Dealers weren't aware of an issue at the time but I persisted with them and Triumph detailed a fix was imminent. Once it had the new calibration update it's not happened again (I'm at 1835 miles now)

·
Registered
4 Posts

-Clutch lever was pulled

sidenote:

I had the same issue with my 2020 street triple R that I purchased new in October. I mentioned it when I took it back for the 600 mile service in November. They said their was an ECU update that they loaded onto the bike. I know have 3000 miles on the bike and have had no issues. It seems to have solved the problem.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just completed my 600 miles, it never stalled on me due to the bikes fault.. i stalled it taking off from a stoplight because I'm not used to the clutch yet, my old bike you could almost not even give it throttle and it would pull away, this triple seems to need a bit of slipping to get going.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Great thread. ST3 is in my top 3 bikes I'm looking at currently. Having this knowledge will be nice when going into the dealer today. I'm going to ask them about it and see how they play it.. if they are aware, how they explain it, and what fix they recommend. If I'm buying and servicing with them, I want to know their character and knowledge base is strong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah I'm hoping that once I explain to them @ Triumph of Seattle, they'll be quick to point out a fix!

Did they help you figure out the problem? I bought my RS from them about a month ago and have my first service scheduled for next week. I've had mine stall on me a handful of times already and I'm only at 460 miles...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did they help you figure out the problem? I bought my RS from them about a month ago and have my first service scheduled for next week. I've had mine stall on me a handful of times already and I'm only at 460 miles...
UPDATE: Took the bike in and had them take a look into it. The diagnosis (most up-to-date version) came back with nothing. Had a tech and the service manager both ride to try and duplicate the problem after explaining when it happens. No luck (which is good, but concerning). The 2nd guy managed to get it to putter while downshifting but he said upon clutch release it spun back up. They suspect it's a conflict with me pulling in the clutch, blipping the throttle, and shifting. Being as it's a quickshifter, I've adjusted and haven't had any stalls since. Currently sitting at 550 miles and have break-in service next week, where they'll follow up under warranty if it's still an issue. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
This issue is presenting itself with a number of bikes fitted with quickshifters. It seems to be especially prevalent on the 765 ST3. I've had occasion to try a couple of bikes and they worked perfectly for me. The whole point of a quickshifter is so you can shift fast, real fast, especially when accelerating hard. Downshifting quickly is also available. This is, in many peoples view, a good thing and they are bedazzled by the device's availability to the point it can influence their decision to buy a particular bike or not. Having ridden alongside the owners who have complained about this I believe I know what's happening. They are using the quickshifter in an astonishingly lazy manner even when they are just dawdling along, the complete opposite of a quickshifters design intent. It's clear they have no concept of just how a quickshifter works and how it involves an ignition or a fuel cut or a combination thereof. When I encourage them to slam it through the gears with the throttle pinned or screaming into a turn that requires them to downshift a couple of times they balk at the very idea. It's clear these kind of riders should be kept apart from quickshifters because this overly relaxed approach to changing gears is not what they're for.

I mean, just read the previous post: They suspect it's a conflict with me pulling in the clutch, blipping the throttle, and shifting. Being as it's a quickshifter,.....

Bang it through the gears with no input adjustment to throttle position or any other control and they work just fine. Many of the owners who complain should really just buy a DCT Honda or one of the many excellent automatic scooters such as Yamaha's T-Max or Suzuki's Burgman if they can't see themselves on a Vespa.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I think this is where super duper light weight low inertia internals has a downfall. Cut power for 100ms, and bam it can insta-stall on the first attempt to compress the intake with no power. Can't the 765 qs be disabled from the menu? Does the problem go away when disabled?

·
Registered
602 Posts
My experience with the stalling issue would only happen under certain circumstances and was difficult to reproduce. It would happen as soon as the clutch lever was pulled in while slowing down. Zero throttle input, as in slowing down coming to a stop. Engine rpm would need to be low, either when coasting or using the brakes. Engine would stall before I had the chance to downshift, so no input from the shift sensor was necessary.

After getting the ecu software update that was released last summer, I never had the problem again. A few pages back I showed what was changed in the update. The electronic throttle valve inputs were increased at zero percent throttle position, in the 2000 to 5000 rpm range. So basically they let the throttle body valve stay open a bit longer while the engine is slowing down. It would stall when the clutch was pulled because the engine would go from high load in gear to no load.

Unfortunately the software update was released quietly without any fanfare. There was no recall or even a tech bulletin. Chances are your Triumph dealer's service department won't know about this particular problem unless they had another 2020 765 owner bring it to their attention. What the dealers are expected to do however is update all your bike's software when it is brought in for regular services.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So has this been seen on only 2020 models or earlier models? Would the new 2021 have this update that resolves this issue? Can the dealer tell you the settings for the electronic throttle to verify the proper update has be done?

" The electronic throttle valve inputs were increased at zero percent throttle position, in the 2000 to 5000 rpm range. "

·
Registered
602 Posts
I believe this specific issue started with the 2020 models and the euro 5 modifications. Now that's not to say some one with an older 765 never had an engine stall, it's a problem that could have many different causes.

2021 models should have the newer software already installed from the factory or are updated at time of setup.

The dealer can't see that kind of info with their software. They can see what version software you have and if it needs to be updated. I found out what changes were made by using an aftermarket program called TuneECU that lets you make changes to the ecu map.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm glad I came across this thread and happy (but not happy) to see others experiencing the same issue with stalling while riding.

I purchased my 2020 Striple RS back in March of last year and have put on over 6500 miles. Similar to many of you, my bike has stalled several times, mainly under harder braking conditions, downshifting with clutch lever from 3rd to 2nd. I would have to restart my bike while coasting. When I brought my bike in for the front brake recall, I mentioned to the Triumph service techs it had done it twice, randomly, and I was initially told it tends to happen with new bikes (I'm a first time Triumph owner but this not my first bike) and should stop after I put some more miles on it. I don't rev-match or blip my throttle every single time when downshifting but I have been more conscious of doing it, especially when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. I found it has helped some and I went a few months without any issues, but last week, my bike stalled as I was coming off the freeway on the off-ramp and downshifting to come to a stop at the light.

Good to read about the ECU update. I will take my bike in to have it updated and hope that resolves the issue for mine. Looks like it has for some of you, so that sounds promising!

Thanks for everyone's input!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm only after first 200 miles in rather cold conditions, did not observe any issue with stalling (yet). Mine is 2021 January.
In fact I am still in break in, but using QS very often during braking (no blipping, just closed throttle), or even braking with engine without brake. I will try to use clutch more often, to see if my bike is also affected. Seems to be quite dangeorus during normal bike usage...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is there actually an ECU update for this? I had my bike in for second service and they said they haven't heard of an ECU update - Street 2020 RS.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts