Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 243 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
TT600 will be the same - 4 magnets. One magnet in 4 locations is what is required.

It depends on where/how you want to mount them - 1/4" or 3/8" is plenty big enough to trigger the sender.

If you search 'Neodymium magnet' on EBay you will come up with no end of shapes & sizes!

Note that on the S3/Daytona rotor it has 10 mounting 'buttons' - not conducive to symmetrical spacing for 4 magnets using those locations.

doodledog suggested that it does not matter if they are symmetrical - in his case he reported that the assymetrical layout still works.

Edit - the asymmetric spacing may cause an instability of the speedo at higher road speeds
I would advise to keep the spacing symmetric at 90 degree intervals to eliminate this from being a problem

·
Registered
11 Posts
sweet! I'm very visual so thanks for the pics! I'm about to order those magnets and have my eye on a few speed sensors on ebay. Doing so, I came across this speed sensor......In trying to stay within the "family", do you think it'll work?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Got the sensor on Saturday and I'm still waiting on the magnets. They are coming from hong kong...so that'll take another week or so.

In the mean time, I decided to work on the electrical aspect of the mod since both pieces are triumph, they used the same color coding for wires. Pretty straight forward.

I then decided to test it, to see if it would work, by using any magnet laying around the house (Magnet on the back of a speaker, a magnet used to remove security locks and even the original broken sensor magnet) and It just wouldn't work. I was able to determine which side of the sensor to use but still no cigar. However, whenever I would tap the sensor on the magnet, the speedo would begin to work. going as high as 22mph!

Is it because I'm using some cheapo magnet or that maybe the sensor itself is defective?

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Don't know what to tell you - it might have been better to stick with tried/tested sender
I would say that you shouldn't necessarily assume wires are same just because colours are same - you would need to check the wiring diagram to be sure.
Any magnet should work, so something wrong with sender or wiring I would have to assume

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello guy's..

This is a great topic. I think mine sensor/magnetic is also broken Last week i bought a 02 955i and the speedo meter looks likes faulty. low readings (15 Km/h at high speed). I wanna try this mod, im searching at: speedo sensor susuki/gsxr but cant find any sensor on ebay?.. Further what kind of bracked are u using?

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
..what did u use to mount the sensor to the fender??
..... Further what kind of bracked are u using?
Simple piece of angle aluminum will work

You can see it in this pic of doodledog's:

Long enough to mount to both fender bolts and extending just far enough below the fender to align with the magnet fixing locations (the rotor buttons in this case)

You can see similar mounting piece of hardware - angle bracket - in my pic but in this case the angled bracket is orientated 90 different.

Both are essentially the same even though slightly different fender mount.

·
Registered
11 Posts
tried/tested and still nothing

Don't know what to tell you - it might have been better to stick with tried/tested sender
I would say that you shouldn't necessarily assume wires are same just because colours are same - you would need to check the wiring diagram to be sure.
Any magnet should work, so something wrong with sender or wiring I would have to assume
Alright, I tried it differently originally for sakes of using triumph parts and also because the bolt opening is located at a 90 degree difference from the GSXR. On a TT600 the stantions are located way higher than other bikes. Check this pic out. So I was trying to see if using the two bolts at the bottom of the fork was an option. Anywho that didn't work....for reasons which I explained previously.

So I then decided to do it the tried/tested way. Acquired a 2003 GSXR sensor and unfortunately, I get the EXACT same results!! The sensor does nothing when the rare earth magnet is passed by the flat surface yet if I tap the sensor.....say on my chest, it then does. This is the same thing the 675 sensor was doing!

I checked the wiring connection a dozen times and they are as you posted it. I have no idea what else to check. Keep in the mind that my speedo was perfectly ok until the magnet cracked. Any other ideas? thanks!

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Fair enough trying something new - I would have expected the 675 one to work actually, there are all pretty much same principle.

Since the GSXR one doesn't work either, there must be common denominator

Wiring between original and GSXR is

From the GSXR sender to the donor Triumph sender cable:

Connect Black/Red to Red/Orange
Connect Black/white to Black/White
Connect Black to Pink

The Pink Wire is actually the signal wire.
Red/Orange is the power, originating from the cluster back out to the sensor - you could check that wire wrt the black/white to see that you hav epower with ignition on

I downloaded a manual for TT600 but the scan is poor and hard to make out the colour code - looks to be same though I believe.

There is a subtle difference between the TT600 and Daytona wiring systems - the TT600 has the input directly off the speed sender to the cluster; the Daytona is buffered by the ECM.
But should make no difference - the OEM sender is still just a Hall Effect sender - same as the GSXR - and most likely the 675 sensor too. So should have an adequate input buffer amplifier in the cluster to process the signal directly.

Is it perhaps how you are sweeping the magnet by the sensor?
This is going to appear condescending but not my intent at all ....
not like a piston going towards a cylinder-head & back - oscillate it back & forth across the face (simulating the magnets on the rotors scanning past it) - clear the magnet completely off the sensor on either side as you sweep across its face - not short strokes maintaining proximity of sensor.

On mounting on those forks - yes, that one is tough unfortunately - you may be able to do something with the caliper mounts?
Not the most atractive solution, but at least for validation purposes, you could also zip-tie it directly to the fork leg.
But of course need to get some basic functionality first ....

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
...The magnetic of mine is broken in 4 pieces, I thought maybe the magnetic can be glued or something?
Some people have had success with this - you can try it, nothing to lose really.
You need to be sure there is no epoxy interfering the free rotation. You may need to 'dress' it after it's cured.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The Pink Wire is actually the signal wire.
Red/Orange is the power, originating from the cluster back out to the sensor - you could check that wire wrt the black/white to see that you hav epower with ignition on
What should I look for? When all the wires are connected the speedo will give me a reading. Just not an accurate one.

Is it perhaps how you are sweeping the magnet by the sensor?
This is going to appear condescending but not my intent at all ....
not like a piston going towards a cylinder-head & back - oscillate it back & forth across the face (simulating the magnets on the rotors scanning past it) - clear the magnet completely off the sensor on either side as you sweep across its face - not short strokes maintaining proximity of sensor.
Yes, I was sweeping it correctly but just to make sure, I ran to home depot, made a custom bracket (to mimic yours) and installed it all on the bike as it should. The sensor is less than 1'' from the magnets and still no go!

When I stop the bike and keep the engine running, the speedo gives me all these crazy readings from zero to 88mph. Just from the vibrations of the bike!!

I'm really starting to think that it has something to do with the wiring! :(

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
What should I look for? ...
Three wires - power, ground and signal
Just check first of all that you have power on the correct wire:
Check the black/red to black/white and look for battery volts (and must be positive) Should see about 10.5V or so.

The sensor is less than 1'' from the magnets
Magnets need to be more like 1/4" away.

When I stop the bike and keep the engine running, the speedo gives me all these crazy readings from zero to 88mph. Just from the vibrations of the bike!! I'm really starting to think that it has something to do with the wiring!
It really does just sound like you don't have it wired correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ok well, since your last post, I've decided to switch back to the 675 sensor (since I'm getting the same result no matter which sensor I use) and I closed the gap between the sensor and magnets to less than 1/4''.

I also re-checked the wiring (see pics) and still nothing.

I used my multimeter (with setting on 9v Batt) and connected the black prong to the black/white wires and connected the red prong to the orange/pink wire and the reading (with the bike on) fluctuates between .90 and 1.05.....not sure if I'm doing this right though!?!?

Here's the bracket I created.....

Here is one of the many crazy readings I'm getting (Bike is NOT moving!)

Here's the gap between the sensor and magnets....has been reduced to less than 1/4''.

And lastly, here's the wiring (I removed the electrical tape for illustration purposes)

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
21,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The Red/Orange (it's not Orange/Pink but know what you mean) should have at least 10V on it wrt the black/white
Disconnect the sender and measure it again, just the cable without sensor attached
Measure both the Red/Orange to Black/White and also the Pink to black/white.

Check fuses - particularly #4 - does horn work? Does the clock in the cluster retain its memory if you set correct time then turn ignition off & on again?

·
Registered
11 Posts
alright....checked the horn and it works along with turn signals and yes it does record the time (see pic above).

I disconnected the sender and measured the Red/Orange to Black/White and when I first connected it, it read 12.35 but it started to drop....FAST!....I measured it a few more times and the last one was 10.8. I did this with the bike completely off though. Does it matter?

When I measured the Pink to black/white, I get NOTHING! :(

This was done with my multimeter set to 9v BATT. Is this the correct setting?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did this with the bike completely off though. Does it matter?

When I measured the Pink to black/white, I get NOTHING! :(

Update:
I measured all the wires again, this time with the bike off but with key in "On" position and then again with the bike's engine running.

Bike off (key on "ON" position)
Red/Orange to Black/White = 10.35 but begins to drop
Pink to black/white = 4.65

Engine running
Red/Orange to Black/White = 11.38 and steady
Pink to black/white = 4.65

21 - 40 of 243 Posts