Help with 2017 T100 - Page 2 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Water Cooled Twins Talk Discussion of water cooled Triumph Twin related matters and topics.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:06 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2016 Thruxton 1200

Other Motorcycle: 2018 Street Scrambler
Extra Motorcycle: 2016 Tiger 800 XCX
Garage
If the bike’s been sitting for while the contacts in the starter button could be dirty or damp. Try flicking the switch through all 3 positions several times. When you put it in “kill” position does it shut down some of the lights? Also, check the magnet in your side stand hasn’t fallen out, although I think T100s and ‘17 onwards should be OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:53 AM
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Bonneville T120

Other Motorcycle: 2016 Speedmaster
Extra Motorcycle: 2016 America
Can you hear the fuel pump when the key is switched on? Does the headlight dim when you try to start it? Can you load test the battery? Have you checked the battery connections?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: 2017 Blue/White T100

So I finally got my hands on a multimeter to check the battery voltage. Looks like it's just a dead battery. When I disconnect from the battery tender and try to start the bike, it gives a half hearted attempt to crank and then nothing. I'm surprised that the battery on a two year old bike is already dead. It seems fast to me. I went 5 years before changing the battery on my old 07 Speedmaster, never used a battery charger and it always started right up every spring. I'll get a new battery to see if that solves the problem. Are there any good long lasting batteries out there?

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:36 PM
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: Triumph T120 2018

Extra Motorcycle: Vespa et4-2004
Is the kill switch in the off position?
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:06 PM
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: 2016 Thruxton R

Extra Motorcycle: 1968 Honda Z50 Mini Trail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobachik View Post
Yes bike is in neutral, battery is fully charged and clutch seems to be working just fine. I'm not sure what else to check.
How do you know the battery is fully charged? You stated you charged it up last night. That does not mean it will carry a load. Running lights might take 2 amps. To crank the motor, takes a lot more than that. Have you checked to make sure the battery leads are dry and clean. Use a small metal brush used for cleaning battery leads. Any slight oxidation or residue could lead to resistance in the circuit and failure to crank. It ran when you put it away. You took the battery out. If the battery sat in a cold or damp area over the winter, it could have run down to the point it will not hold a charge or has a dead cell. I suggest you take the battery to your local Auto Store and have them run a load test on it. I bet it is the battery or dirty battery leads.

Current Motorcycle: 2016 Triumph Thruxton R Silver Ice, Gone but not forgotten: 2013 Honda CB1100 ABS, 2011 Triumph Bonneville SE
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:13 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2016 Thruxton 1200

Other Motorcycle: 2018 Street Scrambler
Extra Motorcycle: 2016 Tiger 800 XCX
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnjyoung View Post
Is the kill switch in the off position?
The kill switch is also the starter button, so no longer a potential issue.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:41 AM
Site Supporter
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2018 Bonneville T120
Lifetime Premium

Other Motorcycle: 2018 Speedmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobachik View Post
So I finally got my hands on a multimeter to check the battery voltage. Looks like it's just a dead battery. When I disconnect from the battery tender and try to start the bike, it gives a half hearted attempt to crank and then nothing. I'm surprised that the battery on a two year old bike is already dead. It seems fast to me. I went 5 years before changing the battery on my old 07 Speedmaster, never used a battery charger and it always started right up every spring. I'll get a new battery to see if that solves the problem. Are there any good long lasting batteries out there?
Sounds like you found the problem.

I always figure a battery will only last 2 years and anything over that is a bonus. Some last longer than others.

Keep us informed.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:45 AM
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: 2014 Bonneville T100 Blac

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blusideupp View Post
Check the obvious....Kill switch in the right position? (guilty of this one) Clutch in? Kickstand up? Neutral?
I'll have to admit the first spring after I bought my T100 I couldn't start my bike and then remembered you need to pull the clutch lever. A lot of other bikes don't require that and it can be easy to miss if your previous bike was something like a Honda.

"Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul."
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:06 AM
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: 2017 T100 Black

There has to be a more economical solution than replacing the battery every year or two. Is there any upgrades available that prolong life?
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:18 AM
Site Supporter
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: '17 T120 Black
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickeco View Post
There has to be a more economical solution than replacing the battery every year or two. Is there any upgrades available that prolong life?
A good battery tender.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Pudge likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode