Avon Tyres on T120 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Water Cooled Twins Talk Discussion of water cooled Triumph Twin related matters and topics.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: Bonneville T120

Garage
Avon Tyres on T120

After 9000 miles and a flat on my original Pirelli tires I replaced them with the Avon Storm tires. My first impression is they're better around turns, just seem more sure footed. The ride doesn't seem any different. We'll see how much mileage I can get. Just an FYI. I looked for different tires then the originals, wasn't impressed with handling. The only alternative I could find that one brand had both front and backs was Avon.
saddlebag likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 05:20 PM
Pole Position
Main Motorcycle: 2016 THRUXTON S/GREEN

Other Motorcycle: FZ 09
Extra Motorcycle: 2016 FZ07
Tyres are very sunjective what suits some are a fail for others. I like Avons all around. If these suit your riding stay with them. Also you don't have to fit the exact sizes as the stock tyres, but you knew that.

PS.. out of curiosity I just checked with Bike Bandit and found over 20 tyre options F/R for the T120.

Last edited by vitesse; 10-23-2016 at 05:24 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 05:33 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: BonnieNewchurch, Tiger800

new T120 Bobber has Avons, don't know sizes as specs aren't published yet.

Davy

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 12:58 PM
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: triumph bonneville t120

Other Motorcycle: royal enfield cl 500
Extra Motorcycle: kawasaki 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Tyres are very sunjective what suits some are a fail for others. I like Avons all around. If these suit your riding stay with them. Also you don't have to fit the exact sizes as the stock tyres, but you knew that.

PS.. out of curiosity I just checked with Bike Bandit and found over 20 tyre options F/R for the T120.
Bike bandit it is difficult to find both the front and rear tyre in stock size of a single brand

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 01:22 PM
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: 2015 Street Triple R

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmooring View Post
After 9000 miles and a flat on my original Pirelli tires I replaced them with the Avon Storm tires. My first impression is they're better around turns, just seem more sure footed. The ride doesn't seem any different. We'll see how much mileage I can get. Just an FYI. I looked for different tires then the originals, wasn't impressed with handling. The only alternative I could find that one brand had both front and backs was Avon.
You really got 9000 miles out of your Pirellis? I'm at 3600 miles on my Street Twin and I'm at the wear bars on the center. I'm thinking pretty strongly about the Avons since they're more of a modern sport touring tire and should get much better mileage.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 250

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striplewebb View Post
You really got 9000 miles out of your Pirellis? I'm at 3600 miles on my Street Twin and I'm at the wear bars on the center. I'm thinking pretty strongly about the Avons since they're more of a modern sport touring tire and should get much better mileage.
Yes, it had about 1000 miles remaining on the tread but had a 2 inch sheet rock screw shorten the life.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 11:14 AM
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: '03 R1150RT

Garage
hmooring // dare I ask for an update on the Avons ? I'm really disappointed in the wet handling of the Pirellis.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 250

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceOne View Post
hmooring // dare I ask for an update on the Avons ? I'm really disappointed in the wet handling of the Pirellis.
I placed the new Avons on my bike at the end of last year. I only have a couple hundred miles on them and what I can say is they handle a ton better than the stock Pirelli's. How long they last well only time will tell.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:57 AM
Minitwins
Main Motorcycle: '03 R1150RT

Garage
Thanks a lot ! At least there's a model to look forward to. I've seen positive reviews of the Avon Storms, but only for bigger sport-touring bikes soooo... well we'll see =)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:14 AM
Supersport 600
Main Motorcycle: 2016 T120

Other Motorcycle: 2012 Tiger 800
Extra Motorcycle: 2002 Speed Triple
Good to hear about the Avon's. I put some Avon's on my 99 Legend and they were the best. I have about 6k miles on my T120 and will probably go that route when the stock tires are done. I've also had good luck with the Continental Road Attack tires. If anyone has tried those, I'd like to hear about them too. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode