Have not posted in this forum before, but I would like to get some advice from people who know.
Currently own a '05 955i Tiger. I love it. Been very reliable and the wife and I do a lot of 2-Up riding out in AZ where we winter, getting out of the Michigan winters. The bike is tall, but not an issue. However, it is heavy. I tipped it over up in the mountains last year and it was very difficult to get it back up on it's wheels. So I have been thinking of upgrading to an 800 tiger, which is about 55lb or so lighter than my 955i. Love the power of the 955, which I hate to lose. I am primarily a road rider, 80/20. I do quite a bit of dirt roads and some two tracks, but I do not really get out in the rough.
My question is which Tiger, XCA or XRT. XCX or XRX? I see the following pros and cons.
- XCA - Better and longer suspension - this seems to be a major advantage over the XRT
- XRT - Cast wheels with 17" front - to me a big advantage with more precise steering and no spokes to clean
- XCA - taller - I think this is an advantage since the 955i fits me really well
- XCA - Bash Plate is more substantial - I really don't go off road - so just added weight
- XCA - Engine guards - a plus for any terrain
- Cosmetics - I really don't like the beak
I believe the seats are the same on both models, correct? The wife likes a comfy seat. Any difference in the comfort of the standard seat and the heated seat? The mountains are cold in February and March and she is small and gets cold easily.
Any other major differences?
Coming from my 955i, which model is more like it, XR or XC? Since I will most likely buy a used bike, 2016 or later, are there any changes in these years that have an advantage? A feature that became standard rather than an option?
The picture is typical of what I like to ride. We were up about 9000' on AZ-191 which is just a great road.
Thanks for any advice.