Tank Swap? - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Thunderbird Cruiser Chat Cruiser chat for the the Thunderbird twin

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: British
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 42
Tank Swap?

I've seen the t-bird with the custom tank...I'd like to know if anyone has swapped out the modern t-bird tank with one from a bonneville/thruxton, older America/Speedmaster, or even an older
Thunderbird. Can it be done? People are putting bonnie tanks on the
America.
Keithl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-18-2012, 08:50 PM
Commentator
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: L.A., Ca.
Posts: 9,598
I seriously doubt it, because the Tbird has the fuel pump in the tank. Even if you were able to put another tank from another injected model with a in tank pump, the ECU isn't likely going to be compatible with it.
dazco is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 02:44 AM
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: Thunderbird SE A1
Senior Member
 
MickeyBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Temecula, California
Posts: 377
Garage
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazco View Post
I seriously doubt it, because the Tbird has the fuel pump in the tank. Even if you were able to put another tank from another injected model with a in tank pump, the ECU isn't likely going to be compatible with it.
Welcome back Dazco.

Dude Extraordinaire
MickeyBoy is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 01:20 PM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Triumph Thunderbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Posts: 684
That custom Thunderbird (done by AlainP, or AlanP...something like that) is pretty awesome, but keep in mind that he made the tank to fit the dimensions of the bike. Even if you could somehow connect a Bonneville tank on a Thunderbird it wouldn't look right. It is just way to small and skinny to fit the bike.
Lantesh is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: British
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantesh View Post
That custom Thunderbird (done by AlainP, or AlanP...something like that) is pretty awesome, but keep in mind that he made the tank to fit the dimensions of the bike. Even if you could somehow connect a Bonneville tank on a Thunderbird it wouldn't look right. It is just way to small and skinny to fit the bike.
I think you are right, but i thought an older tbird tank might fit.
Keithl is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Commentator
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: L.A., Ca.
Posts: 9,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithl View Post
I think you are right, but i thought an older tbird tank might fit.
yeah, but again, you can't do that especially with the older tbird, by which i assume you mean the triple, because those weren't even injected. So even if it were possible yo use a different tank from a injected bike of a completely different model, the old tbird has NO fuel pump. So it's impossible. As i said about thos even if you tried a bonnie or speedmaster tank, sure they have fuel pumps in them, but they are likely a totally different one that even if it mounted the same (VERY unlikely) they likely would not work with the Tbird's ECU

In short, you're barking up a tree thats not even there. It just ain't gonna happen, at least not without major modification and major $.
dazco is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: British
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazco View Post
yeah, but again, you can't do that especially with the older tbird, by which i assume you mean the triple, because those weren't even injected. So even if it were possible yo use a different tank from a injected bike of a completely different model, the old tbird has NO fuel pump. So it's impossible. As i said about thos even if you tried a bonnie or speedmaster tank, sure they have fuel pumps in them, but they are likely a totally different one that even if it mounted the same (VERY unlikely) they likely would not work with the Tbird's ECU

In short, you're barking up a tree thats not even there. It just ain't gonna happen, at least not without major modification and major $.
I understand what you are saying, but if you owned a FI tbird, you would have the
correct fuel pump to potentially put in the "other" tank. I doesnt seem that far fetched to me, if it would actually fit.

Last edited by Keithl; 05-20-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Keithl is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Commentator
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: L.A., Ca.
Posts: 9,598
I don't understand what you are saying. There are 2 tbirds triumph has made since John Bloor restarted the company in the late 80's....the 900 triple and the 1600-1700 cruiser. If you are simply talking about replacing your tank with a different color from another 1600 or 1700 cruiser, then of course you can. But if you are talking about the 900 triple you would have to put the punmp in the 900's tank. You say it doesn't seem far fetched....well, have you seen your bike's fuel pump? Because i can tell you that if you have you would not be saying that it doesn't seem far fetched ! Take your tank off and look. And if that doesn't make you realize what i'm saying, remove the pump. That WILL convince you. I have removed mine, i know what i'm saying.
dazco is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 12:37 PM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Triumph Thunderbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Posts: 684
I personally don't see how you are going to get around building a custom tank. Any other route is going to produce something that either doesn't work, or doesn't look right.
Lantesh is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Site Supporter
Commentator
Main Motorcycle: '04 Thunderbird Sport
Senior Member
 
Wombat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Ex-pat Aussie in Honolulu, Hawaii
Posts: 9,798
Other Motorcycle: I wish!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithl View Post
I understand what you are saying, but if you owned a FI tbird, you would have the
correct fuel pump to potentially put in the "other" tank. I doesnt seem that far fetched to me, if it would actually fit.
Then why don't you go get another tank and try it and come back and tell us the results instead of talking lot of hypothetical BS.

Bob
:AustralianFlag
Click to see My Photo Album

Age is of no importance, unless you are a cheese.
Wombat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tank swap: Compatibility? UJMrider Air Cooled Twins Technical Talk 3 11-05-2010 10:12 AM
How to swap gas tank? kletus Speed Triple Forum 6 07-26-2008 06:01 PM
Tank swap possible? tba-golfer Air Cooled Twins Talk 3 09-26-2006 10:53 AM
TBA Tank swap? Brit26 Air Cooled Twins Technical Talk 0 07-22-2006 06:42 PM
Tank swap Maintenance & Workshop Talk 8 01-23-2003 04:38 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome