Feedback requested. - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Thunderbird Cruiser Chat Cruiser chat for the the Thunderbird twin

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: 2012 Thunderbird SE
Senior Member
 
Dartgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Decatur, Illinois
Posts: 100
Garage
Feedback requested.

Like many, I am considering moving up from my beloved Speedmaster to a Thunderbird. I have located a coupled used 2010 models that seem reasonably priced appear in very good shape and have low miles (3,000-4,000). My wife likes the idea of getting a new bike simply because she loves the Red Marble Haze paint (as do I). Here's my dilemma: I am 2 hours from the nearest Triumph dealer. Do I get the new bike and risk hauling it for warranty work or save the money, get a used model and fix it myself should anything go wrong?
What I am looking for is experiences with your 'Birds. I've read about antifreeze leaks, premature drive belt failures and mysterious engine noise. I'm thinking that if these failures tend to occur early in the operating hours of the bike, I may actually benefit from buying a used machiine. On the other hand, getting the bike I want is more important than saving a little $.
You thoughts?
Dartgod is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: THUNDERBIRD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: groveland,FL.
Posts: 704
Other Motorcycle: HONDA VT750DC
Well you've been reading up on the T Birds, Yes they do make some noises but after almost 18,000 mi. no problems. the coolant leak, mine took a few turns on the hose clamps thats all but others needed a thermostat gasket. for me , no drive belt failures, just keep it adjusted properly. If you havent yet take one for a test drive and decide. You can always keep the speedmaster for the wife to ride if she fancies the idea.
linkdog is offline  
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: Thunderbird Storm (MY11)
Member
 
Aussie Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 31
Other Motorcycle: Yamaha SVX 650.
Extra Motorcycle: Yamaha SVX 250
The problems you've noted are insamountable when compared with the bike overall..

The engine coolant leak, I had as well, If its a hose? tighten the clamp.

If its from the rear of the motor directly underneith the cylinders at the manifold (as mine was) Im assured By the mechanics (at BikeBiz) that its only the silicone lubricant that is put on the gasket on manufacture. It gets hot and seaps. It can be ridden with no problems till the 1st service, then they'll tighten it... Mine has never re-leaked since.

What engine doesn't make some noises?? I used to have a Yamaha SVX650A and it sounded like an asthmatic, whining child with a tick..... My Storm makes a "deep low ticking sound" but im sitting on 1700CC...... Otherwise shes glorious...

The belt ware is a new one to me, but the belt has a 100,000k rating. Not even Harley boast that....

Life's a gamble....

Give one a ride, I'm STILL SMILING.

Al'
Aussie Al is offline  
 
post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Thunderbird SE
New Member
 
Monte's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 24
Like the the others so far have stated.....

tightened the hose clamps, no belt issues, no unusual engine noises and just a real pleasure to ride.....18,767 miles and not afraid to take off and go anywhere on it. California bound this year from North Carolina and next year will be Alaska bound. I have a lot of confidence in the bike.

Monte
Monte is offline  
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 08:43 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 1700 Thunderbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: pine grove, PA
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartgod View Post
Like many, I am considering moving up from my beloved Speedmaster to a Thunderbird. I have located a coupled used 2010 models that seem reasonably priced appear in very good shape and have low miles (3,000-4,000). My wife likes the idea of getting a new bike simply because she loves the Red Marble Haze paint (as do I). Here's my dilemma: I am 2 hours from the nearest Triumph dealer. Do I get the new bike and risk hauling it for warranty work or save the money, get a used model and fix it myself should anything go wrong?
What I am looking for is experiences with your 'Birds. I've read about antifreeze leaks, premature drive belt failures and mysterious engine noise. I'm thinking that if these failures tend to occur early in the operating hours of the bike, I may actually benefit from buying a used machiine. On the other hand, getting the bike I want is more important than saving a little $.
You thoughts?
keep the wife happy!! Letting her pick the color is a small price to pay for having your other half support the purchase of a new toy!
besides 2 hours is actually an enjoyable ride, and it seems many dealerships will give you a loaner bike if yours is in for service.
paulfun is offline  
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:07 AM
World SuperBike
Main Motorcycle: Triumph America
Senior Member
 
BobKreyole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Queens, NYC
Posts: 2,127
You can upgrade with silicone hoses. Looks great in the color of your choice.
BobKreyole is offline  
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: Triumph/Victory/H-D
Senior Member
 
JasonSonofEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 104
I would buy use the saved money to get it painted better then Triumph will do and maybe the used bike will have the bugs worked out! But then any a new bike would have a two year warranty (IMO that sucks where you can get more from almost every other bike makers) but then again if then newer model is what the wife wants well there is your answer

08 Triumph SpeedMASTER
JasonSonofEd is offline  
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: Thunderbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSonofEd View Post
I would buy use the saved money to get it painted better then Triumph will do and maybe the used bike will have the bugs worked out! But then any a new bike would have a two year warranty (IMO that sucks where you can get more from almost every other bike makers) but then again if then newer model is what the wife wants well there is your answer
Which bike makers offer a standard warranty longer than two years?
Tallboy67 is offline  
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:38 PM
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: Triumph/Victory/H-D
Senior Member
 
JasonSonofEd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 104
Standard two year yes but Victory ,Harley ,Honda offer an Extended warranty! Are they worth it?. Idk but what if you need it and don't have it?? But in my mind the piece of mind I would have like to have it! But that just me I have an 08 Speedmaster which has it own little bugs

http://powersports.honda.com/protect...threeyear.aspx

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...-Provider.aspx

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...d-service.html

08 Triumph SpeedMASTER

Last edited by JasonSonofEd; 04-15-2012 at 09:49 PM.
JasonSonofEd is offline  
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-15-2012, 09:47 PM
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: Thunderbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Venice, FL
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSonofEd View Post
Standard two year yes but Victory ,Harley ,Honda offer an Extended warranty! Are they worth it?. Idk but what if you need it and don't have it?? But in my mind the piece of mind I would have like to have it! But that just me I have an 08 Speedmaster which has it own little bugs

http://powersports.honda.com/protect...threeyear.aspx

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-...-Provider.aspx
Extended warrantys [service contracts] are available on Triumphs, and just about everything else.
Tallboy67 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help requested smac Air Cooled Cruisers - America, Speedmaster 9 08-23-2010 12:21 PM
Links requested KneeSlider Sprint Forum 9 02-04-2008 01:27 AM
Requested Pics jparris Speed Triple Forum 3 07-02-2007 08:58 AM
Some pics that were requested........ Butcher Air Cooled Twins Technical Talk 19 06-01-2007 11:03 AM
Feedback requested - Tank Cover and Saddlebags JRMOTO Air Cooled Twins Talk 1 02-28-2006 02:40 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome