Just read the Motorcycle.Com 4 bike review - Page 2 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Thunderbird Cruiser Chat Cruiser chat for the the Thunderbird twin

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 1700 Thunderbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: pine grove, PA
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesyRider View Post
maybe the Diavel, while not everyones cup of tea, might raise the bar

I have said it before in an other post
The Diavel is not simply a cruiser, it can only be classified in with the bikes the japaneese introduced in the 80,s wich would be considered "power cruisers".
The yamaha V-max,Kawasaki Eliminator Honda sabre/magna to name a few. All built to have an overabundance of get up and go but yet be able to be civil and cruise a bit. All of these bikes fit right into line with the new diavel but the duc just dosnt fit into the cruiser segment compleetely no matter what its intended market or what some people at a mag say it is.
I also firmly belive the v-rod is also in the power cruiser sement and shouldnt be counted as a cruiser.
paulfun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 06:57 PM
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: T-Bird
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 247
The Diavel or as some put it Drivel, is something else and I agree with the defination of power crusier just like the old Kawaski 900 LTD, V-Max etc. It's not in the same class as the crusiers tested. I had the opportunity to examine and sit on one. Looks cheap by Ducati standards. Egronomics are designed for shorter individuals an really don't accomodate taller. It's lighter no doubt but a what expense, overall quality is a big question. Sure it runs a 127 RWHP hp but if I want to go this direction, then why do it in a quasi-crusier? Of course there's the point of manintenance cost. It's no cheaper than maintenance on a 1098, which isn't inexpensive. Market wise, it's not really going to compete in the same class as the T-Bird.

I talked to the dealership owner about the bike. It had 1700 miles on it. I questioned him regarding the trade in and for what reason? He stated the owner just didn't like the ergonomics of the bike and was looking for a crusier with good all-round performance. What's ironic, he traded it in for a new T-Bird.

Last edited by TBRider; 10-25-2011 at 07:03 PM.
TBRider is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Commentator
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: L.A., Ca.
Posts: 9,598
Quote:
What was ironic is; he traded it in for a new T-Bird.
Thing is, it may be a powerhouse. But it IS after all a non cruiser engine, and they are very different animals that feel very different and satisfy different desires. Ergos and all that aside, it has a lot less torque than the 1700. I think i read 90 Lbs at 6000 RPMs or something along those lines, where the 1700 has around [email protected] So yeah, it's faster, but i prefer low end torque any day because it's useful and fun all the time even when riding sedately. That is what makes the Tbird a cruiser IMO even moreso than the ergos and look. I don't wind my bikes out every other stop light. If that was so important i'd be riding a speed triple.....it's a triumph and a lot cheaper than the daivel and probably a better bike. I don't get the guy who bought a diavel then traded it for a Tbird.....did he not understand they are apples and oranges? Kinda like going out looking for a 4WD and buying a porsche instead then deciding to get the 4WD after all because the porsche was no good in the woods.
dazco is offline  
 
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-25-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Grand Prix 500
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Thunderbird SE
Senior Member
 
56Renegade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 104
The responses here are why I love coming to this place so much. I work with a guy that used to race motorcycles. He swears that he has taken turns to the edge of the tread and the sidewalls. I believe him 'cuz he has the scars and healed fractures to prove it. The very first you tube review of the 'Bird I saw was in Spain. You could hear the pegs scrape on the drive bys. What I was commenting on was that the riders doing the reviews were not full time cruiser riders. They ride anything that is classified as a motorcycle from dirt bikes to the big touring rigs. Every cruiser review I've read invariably mentions dragging the pegs in the twisties.

Riding at the posted speed limits, I have yet to scrape a footboard (knock on wood) on the local winding roads. There are supposed to be some good ones about 85 miles from my home that are on my to do list. The fact that I can ride winding roads at the posted limit is a testament to the 'Bird's overall design. How firmly she's planted on the pavement in any turn is why the Thunderbird is such a good bargain. For me at least it's just looking down the road and my 'Bird follows my gaze. I don't have to think about it. It just happens. Which is great so I can watch out for deer and other assorted goof balls.

The funny thing is when I come up behind bikes riding slower than the posted limit on winding roads they have all been cruisers. Not just Soft Tails and Road Kings, but Stars and Vulcans as well. I have yet to come upon a Gold Wing that I've had to wait for it to get out of the way. They might be out there. I just ain't seen one yet.

Happy Trails,
56R
56Renegade is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 02:21 AM
Site Supporter
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2014 Scram "The Crow"
Premium Member
 
Draeger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 599
Other Motorcycle: 98 Honda Valkyrie
Garage
I've had a number of riders I've met comment on my Thunderbird 'sportbike tires' and they ask how it corners.

Honestly, I never really thought about the tires much when I bought it. It just fit me, had gobs of power, and it handled well ... and that's what mattered to me.

But the obvious fact to any astute observer is that this bike just reeks of more than just a boulevard cruiser ... because it is. Them Metzler tires are stock for a reason.

I bought a 'performance cruiser', and this particular cruiser because I was looking for a bike that wasn't just about the cool, laid back stance. I would have bought the Yamaha Stryker if I wanted pure cool and mediocre everything else.

The Thunderbird is about cool, but also about potential in corners, wicked brakes and neck snapping power when you demand it. Its not a track bike, and never will be; Its a cruiser with potential, and I will probably never test its performance to the max.

I'm getting used to my pegs clicking the ground from time to time. It no longer freaks me out when it happens, because I know this bike is built for everything I'm going to throw at it.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?
Draeger is offline  
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Grand Prix 250
Main Motorcycle: Triumph Thunderbird
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Castle Hill NSW
Posts: 41
Cruzy

Interesting how we all like to define what a cruiser is. I find the bird appeals to a wide variety of riders.It is like the perfect woman...a lady in the lounge-room and a whore in the bedroom.

Now, something that occurred to me is that Triumph have built an evolutionary bike in the Thunderbird. They did not have a big bore cruiser for a long time but learnt from having a giant cruiser in the R3 to having very traditional bikes in the Bonny and Speedmaster/Americas. The 'bird evolved from getting a mix of all the above bikes and making one to please all.

Basically there is really only a choice of two models in the T-bird range. Either a 1600 or 1700. Everything else is cosmetic and designed to be customised by the owner.For example, if you are into touring you can say it is a great long distance mile muncher and make it fit that role. If you like a minimalist ''cruiser type' bike go for a black Storm. If you want a fast sporty cruiser you go for a Black T'-Bird and add some bling. If you want a slower more sedate bike you can get a silver or blue one or some other slow colour.

The big BUT is that it does what we want it to. I think it handles well because of the time and design study that went into it before production. Anything on wheels handles better today than a decade ago and go back 20 years and by todays standards bikes and cars were generally not as good as what we have.

Triumph made 'traditional' bikes when Adam wore short pants. Harleys did the same. Ducatis have always gone for the exotic go fast bikes and made them very hard to work on, ride and get comfortable on but ask any Ducati rider what the bike is like and he will tell you it is great. The Diavel to me is a real oddball machine. I just don't get it.I fell like a grasshopper when I sit on one. My legs are half way up my backside, the seat is designed for small butts and the bike is too light.

If we went to a Ducati forum they would probably think the Diavel is the modern interpretation of a cruiser for the 2000's.
Thunder Rat is offline  
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 11:56 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Triumph Thunderbird
Senior Member
 
TBird Daryl39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 456
I agree you shouldn't lean until you shove your pegs up into your shins! But I also thing if you are just touching now and then there is no cause for alarm.

Guys some of us are falling into a trap and doing exactly what we criticize others for doing when they make comments on our Thunderbird...but haven't ridden it yet. I have ridden the Diavel - have you? Sitting on it and reading specs are not the same as riding it....right? As much as I didn't like it personally - I actually rode it. The torque ratings are misleading because the bike is so much lighter, the Diavel runs just fine in low RPM and you don't wish for more torque - you do NOT need to rev it up to feel the power - you get more, way more power than the TBird long before the Diavel hits it's power band when it then pulls your arms out of your shoulder sockets. So it's easy to ride sedately if you choose to. So as I read all the opinions and this and that, I'm cringing because so many of us have jumped on other guys, especially Harley guys that say negative things about our bike without ever having ridden one. I hear a lot about plastic - maybe I need to take a closer look at what packages the Diavel offers, but my buddies bike has Carbon Fiber all over it - and while to an untrained eye you might think "plastic" - the two cannot be confused. I personally don't like all of it's styling and exterior shell components - but to say it is poorly put together with inferior components, I believe, is a misrepresentation of the facts. Go ride one! Start a thread on that - and lets compare notes - or we can start a thread called "I sat on a Diavel and read the brochure" Yes yes I know I'm a sarcastic a-hole, and that's why you love me.

---Daryl

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things

Last edited by TBird Daryl39; 10-26-2011 at 08:38 PM.
TBird Daryl39 is offline  
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 1700 Thunderbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: pine grove, PA
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Rat View Post
Interesting how we all like to define what a cruiser is. I find the bird appeals to a wide variety of riders.It is like the perfect woman...a lady in the lounge-room and a whore in the bedroom.

Now, something that occurred to me is that Triumph have built an evolutionary bike in the Thunderbird. They did not have a big bore cruiser for a long time but learnt from having a giant cruiser in the R3 to having very traditional bikes in the Bonny and Speedmaster/Americas. The 'bird evolved from getting a mix of all the above bikes and making one to please all.

Basically there is really only a choice of two models in the T-bird range. Either a 1600 or 1700. Everything else is cosmetic and designed to be customised by the owner.For example, if you are into touring you can say it is a great long distance mile muncher and make it fit that role. If you like a minimalist ''cruiser type' bike go for a black Storm. If you want a fast sporty cruiser you go for a Black T'-Bird and add some bling. If you want a slower more sedate bike you can get a silver or blue one or some other slow colour.

The big BUT is that it does what we want it to. I think it handles well because of the time and design study that went into it before production. Anything on wheels handles better today than a decade ago and go back 20 years and by todays standards bikes and cars were generally not as good as what we have.

Triumph made 'traditional' bikes when Adam wore short pants. Harleys did the same. Ducatis have always gone for the exotic go fast bikes and made them very hard to work on, ride and get comfortable on but ask any Ducati rider what the bike is like and he will tell you it is great. The Diavel to me is a real oddball machine. I just don't get it.I fell like a grasshopper when I sit on one. My legs are half way up my backside, the seat is designed for small butts and the bike is too light.

If we went to a Ducati forum they would probably think the Diavel is the modern interpretation of a cruiser for the 2000's.
I am not defineing the class here! Only pointing out that the class was already defined by the buying public and the mag's way back when the japanese tried raising the bar for the cruiser class!

Please dont go making blank statements about 20 year old bikes that you cant prove. I have a bunch of them (all between 20 to 26 years old) and everyone of them would whip my thunderbird out in the twisties with no problem! They will also cruise all day long nice and easy or run hard all day long wich ever you prefer. Not to mention I could still take any one of them to the track and whoop on all the current cruisers exept for maybe the diavel as its rummored to be a bit faster!
paulfun is offline  
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 07:23 PM
SuperStock
Main Motorcycle: T-Bird
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulfun View Post
Please dont go making blank statements about 20 year old bikes that you cant prove.
I don't think he really did but I sure can. I grew up riding almost everything from a Cafe to a Crusier. That was more than half a decade ago. Most of the Kawaski's wouldn't handle and wobble like a metronome in highspeed turns. This was inherent in the frame design. The only real bike that had the edge in the handling department was the R series BMW's of the time. The Suzuki's and Honda's liked to wallow in the turns and their suspension compliance was sh#t. Most all the Japanese bikes needed serious suspension and frame work to handle well.

Now the European bikes like Lavarda, BMW, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, and others were much more refined. They handled well and didn't require much tweaking. Some were down on power but made up in spades in the handling department.

Frankly, the T-Bird is a refined, well designed motorcycle with allot of viable traits. It's an all-rounder with class leading performance.
TBRider is offline  
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 04:13 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 1700 Thunderbird
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: pine grove, PA
Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRider View Post
I don't think he really did but I sure can. I grew up riding almost everything from a Cafe to a Crusier. That was more than half a decade ago. Most of the Kawaski's wouldn't handle and wobble like a metronome in highspeed turns. This was inherent in the frame design. The only real bike that had the edge in the handling department was the R series BMW's of the time. The Suzuki's and Honda's liked to wallow in the turns and their suspension compliance was sh#t. Most all the Japanese bikes needed serious suspension and frame work to handle well.

Now the European bikes like Lavarda, BMW, Ducati, Moto Guzzi, and others were much more refined. They handled well and didn't require much tweaking. Some were down on power but made up in spades in the handling department.

Frankly, the T-Bird is a refined, well designed motorcycle with allot of viable traits. It's an all-rounder with class leading performance.
I dont know how you determine wich handles better. Most of my bikes are kawasaki and they all outhandle the bird. Yes they have some inherent problems but only at speeds and lean angles that the thunderbird cant achieve to begin with.
I wont get into picking the bikes apart that supposedly handled back then as I have ridden most and beaten most threw the turns with so called inferior handleing Jap bikes. What I will say is that The thunderbird handles well for what it is but it can not hold any one of my old Jap bikes threw the turns as they all will outrun/outperform it.
My thunderbird gets ridden hard and I have no chicken strips on my tires and am already threw the feelers and into the pegs of the bike. So I feel I am ridding the bird to its full potential and am capeable of making a fair comparison since I have the old bikes right here in perfect working order and do ride them on a regular basis.
paulfun is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2009 Sprint ST review at Motorcycle.com evilted Sprint Forum 15 11-11-2009 03:27 AM
Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine Review 31712 Thunderbird Cruiser Chat 2 09-20-2009 08:29 PM
Motorcycle USA 2009 review 2005SM Air Cooled Twins Talk 10 04-04-2009 05:18 PM
Motorcycle-USA.com - ST 07 Review BlueSteel Sprint Forum 9 08-07-2007 07:38 PM
good review on motorcycle usa olloh Triumph SuperSports 0 02-05-2006 10:39 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome