K&N Air Filter for T-Bird - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Thunderbird Cruiser Chat Cruiser chat for the the Thunderbird twin

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Thunderbird SE 1600
Member
 
20RedBird10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Spokane Valley, WA.
Posts: 93
Garage
Question K&N Air Filter for T-Bird

I went on K&N's web site and they don't show an air filter for the 2010 1600 T-Bird but, it seems I read in some posts where people have a K&N on their Bird, if so, what part # is one that fits? Also, would there be any advantages to the K&N vs. the Triumph "performance" air filter?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice

Rick
20RedBird10 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Commentator
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: L.A., Ca.
Posts: 9,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20RedBird10 View Post
I went on K&N's web site and they don't show an air filter for the 2010 1600 T-Bird but, it seems I read in some posts where people have a K&N on their Bird, if so, what part # is one that fits? Also, would there be any advantages to the K&N vs. the Triumph "performance" air filter?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice
Triumph shows the same filter for the speedmaster and america for the Tbird. Unfortunately, the K&N has a different bottom than the tbird filter and it fits but not very well, and you have to crush the filter a bit when you force it in. Do what i and many others did....get a UNI filter. It is also the same filter as used with the america and speedy and it DOES fit, and perfectly. it is also much cheaper, easier to clean, lasts forever and flows as well as any. I had one in my speedy and now in my Tbird and i assure you they are as good as any. IMO better, but thats subjective. You can get them all day for around $30. I paid $28.
dazco is offline  
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Thunderbird SE 1600
Member
 
20RedBird10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Spokane Valley, WA.
Posts: 93
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazco View Post
Triumph shows the same filter for the speedmaster and america for the Tbird. Unfortunately, the K&N has a different bottom than the tbird filter and it fits but not very well, and you have to crush the filter a bit when you force it in. Do what i and many others did....get a UNI filter. It is also the same filter as used with the america and speedy and it DOES fit, and perfectly. it is also much cheaper, easier to clean, lasts forever and flows as well as any. I had one in my speedy and now in my Tbird and i assure you they are as good as any. IMO better, but thats subjective. You can get them all day for around $30. I paid $28.
Thanks Dazco,

I forgot about Uni filters.

Rick
20RedBird10 is offline  
 
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Thunderbird SE 1600
Member
 
20RedBird10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Spokane Valley, WA.
Posts: 93
Garage
What year America or Speedmaster would I specify for the Uni filter?

Thanks again,

Rick
20RedBird10 is offline  
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Commentator
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: L.A., Ca.
Posts: 9,598
They're all the same. It's this one...

http://www.fasteddysports.com/?page_id=3&product_id=313
dazco is offline  
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Thunderbird SE 1600
Member
 
20RedBird10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Spokane Valley, WA.
Posts: 93
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazco View Post
They're all the same. It's this one...

http://www.fasteddysports.com/?page_id=3&product_id=313
Thats awesome and fasteddy includes shipping

Thanks again!!

Rick
20RedBird10 is offline  
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Commentator
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: L.A., Ca.
Posts: 9,598
Eddy is a good guy too, so i like buying from him when i can. There are times i can't justify it if i find a stupid good deal, but otherwise i buy from him just because he's 100% behind his customers and is one of us.
dazco is offline  
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: 2012 HD CVO Convertible
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazco View Post
Triumph shows the same filter for the speedmaster and america for the Tbird. Unfortunately, the K&N has a different bottom than the tbird filter and it fits but not very well, and you have to crush the filter a bit when you force it in. Do what i and many others did....get a UNI filter. It is also the same filter as used with the america and speedy and it DOES fit, and perfectly. it is also much cheaper, easier to clean, lasts forever and flows as well as any. I had one in my speedy and now in my Tbird and i assure you they are as good as any. IMO better, but thats subjective. You can get them all day for around $30. I paid $28.
I recently bought a K&N TB-1610 for the T-bird on the K&N website, Ihave not installed yet but I assume they corrected the issue of the fitment because Know they do sell it for the T-bird.
Charles Lamb is offline  
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: Thunderbird Storm
New Member
 
Lygraf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 21
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=TB-1610
Here you go.

Still deciding myself what to get.
Lygraf is offline  
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 06:11 PM
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: 2012 HD CVO Convertible
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lygraf View Post
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=TB-1610
Here you go.

Still deciding myself what to get.
I have the itg filter which is more performance wise, however I bought the K&N for when i am cleanning the igt which I do every 12,000- miles to put on my bike while the igt is driying for 24hrs
Charles Lamb is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
T-Bird Air filter fitter Hinckley Classic Triples 27 08-24-2010 03:13 AM
T-Bird Sport Pipes on a Standard T-Bird Readyt Hinckley Classic Triples 3 05-14-2007 09:54 AM
Will 95 thru 97 stock T-Bird seat fit on 98 T-Bird? Jeff02 Hinckley Classic Triples 3 11-30-2005 05:47 PM
Air Filter on 97 T-Bird jdkor1 Hinckley Classic Triples 6 04-15-2005 04:28 PM
T-Bird vs T-bird Sport seat Interchangeable? chadoll Hinckley Classic Triples 3 08-01-2004 03:34 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome