Dag nab starting problems - Page 3 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Thunderbird Cruiser Chat Cruiser chat for the the Thunderbird twin

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: Triumph Thunderbird SE
Member
 
Golfnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 90
Other Motorcycle: 2012 Triumph Tiger 1050SE
Extra Motorcycle: Kawasaki Vulcan 900
So I rode down to Carmel for my sister in laws wedding. This morning, I started my bike, but quickly (within 5 seconds) turned the bike off because I had forgotten to take the fork lock off. When I restarted the bike, it was hard starting, and would not stay on at idle. In fact , at low speeds, it sounded like it was backfiring. I had to keep the RPMs above 1250 to keep the engine on.

I was able to ride the 100 miles home without incident because it was all freeway driving. But the second I pulled into the driveway, the engine stalled. And the check engine light was on the entire way. I've even disconnected the battery to see if the ECU would reset, but nothing changed. I'll take it in on Tuesday (dealer closed on Mondays). I'm a bit worried because my wife and I are leaving on a 5 day Sierra Nevada ride (she'll ride her own Kawa Vulcan), and I hope they can fix mine in time. Any ideas what it might be?
Golfnut is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Commentator
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: L.A., Ca.
Posts: 9,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfnut View Post
So I rode down to Carmel for my sister in laws wedding. This morning, I started my bike, but quickly (within 5 seconds) turned the bike off because I had forgotten to take the fork lock off. When I restarted the bike, it was hard starting, and would not stay on at idle. In fact , at low speeds, it sounded like it was backfiring. I had to keep the RPMs above 1250 to keep the engine on.

I was able to ride the 100 miles home without incident because it was all freeway driving. But the second I pulled into the driveway, the engine stalled. And the check engine light was on the entire way. I've even disconnected the battery to see if the ECU would reset, but nothing changed. I'll take it in on Tuesday (dealer closed on Mondays). I'm a bit worried because my wife and I are leaving on a 5 day Sierra Nevada ride (she'll ride her own Kawa Vulcan), and I hope they can fix mine in time. Any ideas what it might be?
Yeah, it's almost surely a map sensor hose come loose. They are small hoses under the tank that are very hard to get to till you realize what they look like and you can actually access them w/o removing the tank by musing a flashlight and looking under it. But if you don't know what they look like and approximately where they are you probably won't be able to see. But those symptoms are exactly what happens with a loose map sensor hose right down to the check engine light. If you want i can try and get a picture tomorrow and post it for you.
dazco is offline  
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: Triumph Thunderbird SE
Member
 
Golfnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 90
Other Motorcycle: 2012 Triumph Tiger 1050SE
Extra Motorcycle: Kawasaki Vulcan 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazco View Post
Yeah, it's almost surely a map sensor hose come loose. They are small hoses under the tank that are very hard to get to till you realize what they look like and you can actually access them w/o removing the tank by musing a flashlight and looking under it. But if you don't know what they look like and approximately where they are you probably won't be able to see. But those symptoms are exactly what happens with a loose map sensor hose right down to the check engine light. If you want i can try and get a picture tomorrow and post it for you.
That would be great!

Geoff
Golfnut is offline  
 
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 02:08 AM
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: Triumph Thunderbird SE
Member
 
Golfnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 90
Other Motorcycle: 2012 Triumph Tiger 1050SE
Extra Motorcycle: Kawasaki Vulcan 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazco View Post
Yeah, it's almost surely a map sensor hose come loose. They are small hoses under the tank that are very hard to get to till you realize what they look like and you can actually access them w/o removing the tank by musing a flashlight and looking under it. But if you don't know what they look like and approximately where they are you probably won't be able to see. But those symptoms are exactly what happens with a loose map sensor hose right down to the check engine light. If you want i can try and get a picture tomorrow and post it for you.
Dude! You are a genius! I went out to the garage with a flashlight and sho'nuff, there was a loose hose! Plugged it in and voila! A perfect start and idle! Saved me hours of bike drop off logistics and immeasurable stress! I'll buy you a tank of gas when we ride together! Thanks so much!

Geoff
Golfnut is offline  
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 02:46 AM
Commentator
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: L.A., Ca.
Posts: 9,598
I'm just the messenger, that issue has been around since the beginning. I'm surprised you were about to locate them w/o knowing what to look for, but good job.

Now if someone could help me with MY starting issue !!! (mine won't hold idle on cold starts and sometimes hard to start lately)
dazco is offline  
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: Triumph Thunderbird SE
Member
 
Golfnut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Livermore, CA
Posts: 90
Other Motorcycle: 2012 Triumph Tiger 1050SE
Extra Motorcycle: Kawasaki Vulcan 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazco View Post
I'm just the messenger, that issue has been around since the beginning. I'm surprised you were about to locate them w/o knowing what to look for, but good job.

Now if someone could help me with MY starting issue !!! (mine won't hold idle on cold starts and sometimes hard to start lately)
Can the dealer help out? I've spoken with the Southern Cal Triumph guys in the past and they seem pretty good.
Golfnut is offline  
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2011, 08:28 PM
Commentator
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: L.A., Ca.
Posts: 9,598
I don't take it to a dealer unless it's absolutely necessary. I don't mean to insinuate i'm even remotely close to being a mechanic, but chances are i'd figure it out before them. Seriously....those clowns are useless most of the time, and i'm not paying some incompetent $90 an hour to tell me he can't find anything wrong. in any case it's not much of an issue because it doesn't happen every time and only in the morning. May even go away now that i have a new tank of gas. Gotta be a tune or adaption thing anyways because it's never done this in 17k till right after i reloaded the stock 1700/tors map. So chances are it'll sort itself in time.
dazco is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Might not need a starter after all rcarpent Hinckley Classic Triples 2 03-20-2010 02:36 PM
starter garfield2k Sprint Forum 3 04-29-2009 02:30 PM
New Starter ianmac Hinckley Classic Triples 21 04-15-2009 12:24 PM
non starter!! geeser61 Maintenance & Workshop Talk 1 04-12-2009 11:14 AM
Getting at the starter EricMichael Hinckley Classic Triples 3 06-27-2005 05:07 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome