Speedo sticking - Page 7 - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
Thunderbird Cruiser Chat Cruiser chat for the the Thunderbird twin

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: 2011 Ducati MTS 1200ST
Member
 
Nikko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Akron, OH
Posts: 84
Other Motorcycle: 2010 Triumph Thunderbird
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbird View Post
.... What about the coolant leak?? Every T-bird that I know of has the problem. .....
Well, you can't say that any more.... mine doesn't, and hasn't ever had that problem....
Maybe I "lucked out"...
Nikko is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 11:19 AM
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Triumph Thunderbird
Senior Member
 
engage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 1,057
Other Motorcycle: 2004 Bonneville Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbird View Post
engage - Dude- What planet are you from... what if the engines were blowing up and they were still selling them, would you say "don't worry, it's only happening to a small percent and if they ever figure it out, they will fix it - so go ahead and buy the bike anyway... The odds may be in your favor. NOT A NOBLE BUSINESS PRACTICE. COME CLEAN, QUIT HIDING AND RECALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm from the same planet as you are, but I also understand that these things can take time to figure out. Look, I don't work for Triumph, and perhaps they are holding back, we don't know. My only point is that I do understand how hard it can be to nail these things.

Look at this thread. Some folks were thinking it was temperature related. Then K12 got this idea that its the sun shining on the speedo pin. And for me, my speedometer works fine and I ride in hot, cold, rain, sun, and clouds.

Consider the coolant leak. They have engineered a new thermostat housing, but it took awhile. First, they manufactured and distributed a lot of bikes before they got into our hands. Second, the problem didn't show up from mile one for most of us. Then the dealers start fiddling with them trying to figure out what the cause is. This issue probably didn't get to Triumph Engineering for a few months. Then they figured it out, engineered a new thermostat housing, but while this was happening, they were, for obvious reasons, continuing to build bikes, so more bikes go out with the issue.

Also consider that Triumph is a boutique bike builder - they don't make anywhere near the quantity of a car manufacturer or even many of the bigger bike companies like HD, Honda, etc. This means that the determination that an issue is a design flaw can take longer.

If you want to be pissed at Triumph, no problem. I'm not trying to argue with you or convince you otherwise, but this is a forum where people weigh in on things like this. You gave you side, here's mine. The rest of the folks can draw their own conclusion and weigh in if they fell inclined.
engage is offline  
post #63 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Supersport 400
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Triumph Thunderbird
Member
 
Hub Bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tustin, CA
Posts: 85
Other Motorcycle: BMW F800ST
4000 miles here- no coolant problem or speedo issues- just saying...

Who Am I? 24601
Hub Bird is offline  
 
post #64 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 12:19 PM
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Triumph Thunderbird
Senior Member
 
engage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 1,057
Other Motorcycle: 2004 Bonneville Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbird View Post
engage - Dude- What planet are you from... what if the engines were blowing up and they were still selling them...
That would be quite different, but I would not expect them to stop production for a minor leak or even a sticky speedometer ... unless they don't care about staying in business.

What I would expect, however (and maybe this is the real issue for you) is for them to replace the sticking units in the meantime. If the speedo sticks its obviously a bad part. If Triumph doesn't feel ready to announce to the world that they have a problem with a significant number of speedometers, fine, but they need to find you one that works. What is your dealer saying to you? Have they ordered a new unit for you?
engage is offline  
post #65 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 12:43 PM
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: Trophy SE
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gainesville, FL, USA
Posts: 356
Other Motorcycle: Honda CB900F 919
Extra Motorcycle: Honda CB750A Hondamatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbird View Post
I feel your pain, I really like the bike but why all of the deception? They tell you they have never heard of the problem-Well They have heard it from me! As with the coolant leakage. Have you experienced that one? They claim they have a cure for the coolant but nothing on the speedo yet, but they are still selling the bikes to unsuspecting clients. This is not a noble business practice. I hate to see them drive another bird into extinction but...... I have never seen deception followed by long-term success. Only honesty and integrity can do that for them!! Triumph needs to come clean on this one!!!
Well... Triumph did do right in the end, and it is starting to feel like Triumph is responding to the problem in the right way. Yes, there seem to be some communication problems (for instance, why is there no support email address for Triumph America readily available on the website? I would have loved to have taken this problem up with them directly in email!)

The bike is still a great bike, and I wouldn't trade it in at this time for anything else. Yes, there was a problem... but it was fixed under warranty.

Past Bikes:
2010 Triumph Thunderbird
2006 Suzuki Boulevard S50
Wells is offline  
post #66 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Powerbike
Main Motorcycle: Trophy SE
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Gainesville, FL, USA
Posts: 356
Other Motorcycle: Honda CB900F 919
Extra Motorcycle: Honda CB750A Hondamatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbird View Post
I am with you on this as with all of your posts. What were they thinking, putting the dipstick at a low point. It needs some sort of a standpipe because I won't even check the oil without washing or blowing out the area with a compressor. I bought the chrome logo dipstick just before I took a Colorado trip and it turned out to have a pit in the o-ring and blew oil down the side of the bike but I still didn't pull the plug because of the sand and grit around it.
Hrm... a standpipe...

Now I wonder if perhaps I could get an aftermarket standpipe to insert in there, and a dip stick that was a bit longer. That would solve the dirt issue.

This might not even be all that hard to fabricate using a bit of copper tubing or something and a tap and die set...

Past Bikes:
2010 Triumph Thunderbird
2006 Suzuki Boulevard S50
Wells is offline  
post #67 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Grand Prix 125
Main Motorcycle: 2010 T-Bird W/BB cams
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kansas City Area
Posts: 23
Other Motorcycle: KLX-250
Quote:
Originally Posted by engage View Post
That would be quite different, but I would not expect them to stop production for a minor leak or even a sticky speedometer ... unless they don't care about staying in business.

What I would expect, however (and maybe this is the real issue for you) is for them to replace the sticking units in the meantime. If the speedo sticks its obviously a bad part. If Triumph doesn't feel ready to announce to the world that they have a problem with a significant number of speedometers, fine, but they need to find you one that works. What is your dealer saying to you? Have they ordered a new unit for you?
Thank you and no, they haven't ordered anything. -I have complained to my dealer about this since late May and they keep blowing me off saying that "Triumph still hasn't came up with a fix yet." and they keep telling me that "We really have a hard time getting ahold of Triumph" and "Triumph dosen't get too excited about anything" I'm starting to think my dealer is jerking me around more than the company itself. As my speedo goes, I must have got a real bad one because it has gotten progressively worse and now is screwed up more of the time than it's not. In fact it seldom works correctly. I recently got a warning ticket going 78mph in a 70 zone. My speedometer was reading about 45mph at the time which I knew was incorrect. Perhaps my frustration should be directed more at the dealer than Triumph itself.
trbird is offline  
post #68 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 08:12 AM
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Triumph Thunderbird
Senior Member
 
engage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 1,057
Other Motorcycle: 2004 Bonneville Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbird View Post
Thank you and no, they haven't ordered anything. -I have complained to my dealer about this since late May and they keep blowing me off saying that "Triumph still hasn't came up with a fix yet." and they keep telling me that "We really have a hard time getting ahold of Triumph" and "Triumph dosen't get too excited about anything" I'm starting to think my dealer is jerking me around more than the company itself. As my speedo goes, I must have got a real bad one because it has gotten progressively worse and now is screwed up more of the time than it's not. In fact it seldom works correctly. I recently got a warning ticket going 78mph in a 70 zone. My speedometer was reading about 45mph at the time which I knew was incorrect. Perhaps my frustration should be directed more at the dealer than Triumph itself.
I wonder if you dealer has even tried to order a new speedo as a warranty repair or is just "assuming" that Triumph won't replace it until they have a new part.

This is a long thread so I didn't go back a read it, but what about the rest of you with bad speedometers - has your dealer replaced them?

I suspect that Triumph knows they have an issue, but hasn't figured out the cause yet and/or doesn't have the new part ready and, therefore, isn't thrilled about replacing these, but I assumed that anyone that goes into a dealer and asks for a working speedometer is getting one.

I would call customer service in Georgia - (678) 854-2010, extension 2064. When my saddlebags never came in last year I called and talked with Peter and found out that Triumph had rejected the entire first lot from the supplier. I still didn't have my bags, but at least I knew why and I appreciated Triumph rejecting the bad parts.

Maybe you will find out whats going on with this issue and if they tell you a new part is around the corner, then wait, otherwise tell them you can't run around on a bike not knowing the speed and get them to send out a new one.
engage is offline  
post #69 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Formula Extreme
Main Motorcycle: 05 speedmaster - black
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 779
Other Motorcycle: 2010 Thunderbird - silver
Extra Motorcycle: 2014 thruxton - black
Quote:
Originally Posted by engage View Post
That would be quite different, but I would not expect them to stop production for a minor leak or even a sticky speedometer ... unless they don't care about staying in business.

What I would expect, however (and maybe this is the real issue for you) is for them to replace the sticking units in the meantime. If the speedo sticks its obviously a bad part. If Triumph doesn't feel ready to announce to the world that they have a problem with a significant number of speedometers, fine, but they need to find you one that works. What is your dealer saying to you? Have they ordered a new unit for you?
unfortunately the obvious solution of replacing the speedometer is not the solution. Replacements have been made and it does not resolve the problem the culprit is elsewhere, most likely 1 or more of the sending units that provide information to the instrument cluster. Sorting that out and the somewhat randomness of the problem is probably making this take a long time to resolve. I am not defending triumph per se, just saying the obvious isn't always so.


see my wicked black speedmaster
904cc, 12:1 JE racing pistons, thunderbike cams, ported and polished head, scepter pipes, 39mm FCRs.

Last edited by mag10; 08-20-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling
mag10 is offline  
post #70 of 92 (permalink) Old 08-20-2010, 10:44 AM
SuperSport
Main Motorcycle: 2010 Triumph Thunderbird
Senior Member
 
engage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 1,057
Other Motorcycle: 2004 Bonneville Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag10 View Post
unfortunately the obvious solution of replacing the speedometer is not the solution. Replacements have been made and it does not resolve the problem the culprit is elsewhere, most likely 1 or more of the sending units that provide information to the instrument cluster. Sorting that out and the somewhat randomness of the problem is probably making this take a long time to resolve. I am not defending triumph per se, just saying the obvious isn't always so.
Hadn't consider that it might be elsewhere, but it make sense.
engage is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options
All posts must adhere to Forum Rules

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter your valid email address, that can receive an automated confirmation message. Otherwise, you won't be able to gain full access.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
throttle sticking CRACK Air Cooled Twins Talk 6 06-21-2010 05:44 PM
sticking up for mr rp4336 yoda Sprint Forum 35 06-19-2007 06:37 PM
Figuring out the Speedo ratio-using alternate speedo clamp007 Air Cooled Twins Technical Talk 0 05-04-2007 02:15 AM
Sticking Throttle? Tiger Chat 4 10-10-2004 03:58 PM
Sticking Throttle ajfisher Maintenance & Workshop Talk 4 08-31-2004 02:11 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome