Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a real ZX7 shock and it's in nice condition. I installed it and well....it increases the ride height of my Adventurer by at least two inches, not one inch as some have said--nowhere near it. The preload adjustment (for the spring) is at about 2/3 of the available adjustment but I can't adjust it to less because the top of the spring will hit the bottom of the battery box. There's an interesting glitch for you. Sitting on the motorcycle, I'm on my toes and of course the bike pitches forward because of the higher rear end. Yes the rear shock no longer bottoms out and the ride is smoother at the rear. But when the front end goes over a bump it's harsher now and I imagine this is because of the way change in ride height and angle. Don't even ask me how loud I grunt when I pull the bike off it's side stand from a 45 degree angle--it's like a weightlifting exercise.

Needless to say, this mod ain't gonna work for me and I'm a bit pissed off. Not at anyone here. I just feel like the mod is a waste of time and money. I really expected a lot more.To me, the trade-offs are not worth the smoother ride. Just my humble opinion.

BTW, do you think a set of dog bones from a Legend will lower the rear end a bit or do I need dog bones from another Triumph model?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
from an old post of mine , info gathered here from others .

to lower the rear :

Legend drop links will do the trick. These dog bone looking things on the rear suspension from a legend will lower it 1" & 1/4
Or you can make your own, 1"X1/4" mild steel flat bar. Cut to 8.5"
STock links are 7" centre to centre.
To lower 1 inch holes are drilled 7&1/4" c to c
To lower 1 1/2" 7&3/8" c to c
To lower 2" 7&1/2 c to c
Drop the fork legs through the triple trees a maximum of 5/8"

By the way I forgot to mention the holes in the drop links are 15/32" diameter.

cheers , Woody

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I used a ZX11 shock, and it needed some experimenting with the preload to get it to ride without bouncing or being too harsh. Having just installed the progressive springs in the front, I can say, however, that I think you should consider doing this modification before you give up on the ZX7. Even if you decide the ZX shock won't work for you, you will still have a front end that does its job infinitely better than the stock set up. My bike's a Legend, and the shock could only go in one direction when installing, but it never came too close to the battery box. Maybe the overall diameter of the shock is different?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sorry that you feel that way. I attached a 1" spacer to the bottom of my side stand, and enjoy the sportier geometry offered by the ZX shock...

·
Registered
472 Posts
I'm 5'9" and have the sping adjusted to 3/4 tension....the dampening setting is 3 or 4 depending on if I have a rider....I have good foot placement and I do agree the bike does lean a bit more on the sidestand but it's a minor flaw....I am a bit perplexed on your note that adjusting the spring makes it hit the battery box? This should make no difference to the location to the battery box? Arey you sure you have the correct spring?

It has been almost 100% from all parties who have gone this route.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I have the 1100 shock, and that can only be adjusted to just under the battery box. As far as I know, the ZX7 Shock was the same width as the factory one...............

Rob

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm 5'9" and have the sping adjusted to 3/4 tension....the dampening setting is 3 or 4 depending on if I have a rider....I have good foot placement and I do agree the bike does lean a bit more on the sidestand but it's a minor flaw....I am a bit perplexed on your note that adjusting the spring makes it hit the battery box? This should make no difference to the location to the battery box? Arey you sure you have the correct spring?

It has been almost 100% from all parties who have gone this route.
I am certain that I have the correct shock and spring that's supposed to be on it. I bought the shock complete with stock dog bones attached and it's approximately 5/8 inches longer than the stock Triumph shock. It bolted right up with no modifications or spacers needed, just as Gregp said it would. The top coil of the spring clears the bottom of the battery box by no more than 1/8 inch. I tripled checked that I mounted the shock correctly. So, if I try to set the shock for less preload, in other words screwing the ring adjusters to about the center of the threaded area, the spring as tension is released on it, will hit the battery box. The shock works fine--cushy,yet firm without bottoming out. I have the damper adjustment set to "3".

I am calmer now :eek:, so I went ahead and reassembled everything and put the side covers back on. I'm going to ride it like it is until I get some Legend dog bones to lower it. Really, it's just too tall for me as I am only 5'9" tall.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
from an old post of mine , info gathered here from others .

to lower the rear :

Legend drop links will do the trick. These dog bone looking things on the rear suspension from a legend will lower it 1" & 1/4
Or you can make your own, 1"X1/4" mild steel flat bar. Cut to 8.5"
STock links are 7" centre to centre.
To lower 1 inch holes are drilled 7&1/4" c to c
To lower 1 1/2" 7&3/8" c to c
To lower 2" 7&1/2 c to c
Drop the fork legs through the triple trees a maximum of 5/8"

By the way I forgot to mention the holes in the drop links are 15/32" diameter.

cheers , Woody
Thanks, Woody, I think I'll go with the stock Legend dog bones so that I don't have to mess with lowering the front forks.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used a ZX11 shock, and it needed some experimenting with the preload to get it to ride without bouncing or being too harsh. Having just installed the progressive springs in the front, I can say, however, that I think you should consider doing this modification before you give up on the ZX7. Even if you decide the ZX shock won't work for you, you will still have a front end that does its job infinitely better than the stock set up. My bike's a Legend, and the shock could only go in one direction when installing, but it never came too close to the battery box. Maybe the overall diameter of the shock is different?
Which Progressive springs did you use (what part#) and do they require spacers or other modifications to install--like less or more fork oil? Race Tech makes a set for the Adventurer that are customized to rider weight but Race Tech says their shocks are much shorter than the OEM shocks and require spacers which they provide. I believe they said the OEM springs are 420mm long whereas the Race Tech springs are only around 339mm long. A set of Race Tech shocks are about $110 but I am not sure I want to go with such shorter shocks with spacers.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
The springs are Progressive #1144, and they come with the washers and pvc spacers. I used Amsoil medium fork oil, and it takes a bit over a quart to do both forks. I spilled a bit, so you might get away with 1 quart, but it would be a bummer to be in the assembly stage and lack a few ounces, so I would get 2 quarts. I set the oil to 126mm with the fork empty and compressed fully, and trimmed the pvc spacers to flush with the springs installed, but no oil in. If you really need step by step, I could write it out this evening, but it is really pretty easy. The cost for oil and springs was right around $100.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Thanks, Woody, I think I'll go with the stock Legend dog bones so that I don't have to mess with lowering the front forks.
noooo magoo , that bit about lowering the forks was if you were starting with a stock t-bird , not one with a taller shock . i just cut and pasted the whole thing .

the steel and drill bit will run you about $10 at home depot .

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have also put a zx7 shock in my 96 adventurer last summer with progressive fork springs. it is a little taller and im only 5'5 but it lowers down when i sit on lt and its easier to get on the centerstand.the shock does just touch the battery box but thats ok.it rides pretty good now.when i got the bike it was like a riding lawn mower.so thanks alot for all the information on this site.
mike

·
Registered
277 Posts
I put a zx7 shock on my 98 Adventurer with no real interference problems that I can remember. It was tight getting it into position, but other than that fit right in. I'm not noticing excessive lean when the bike is on the sidestand. Did I do something wrong? BTW, how does one know if a shock needs to be rebuilt and how is the preload on the spring set? Basic guidelines would be appreciated.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
noooo magoo , that bit about lowering the forks was if you were starting with a stock t-bird , not one with a taller shock . i just cut and pasted the whole thing .

the steel and drill bit will run you about $10 at home depot .
Guess what? I just measured the dog bones that came with the ZX7 shock that I installed and they are 7 1/4" long and will bolt right up to my Adventurer. Problem is, I can't seem to break loose the existing upper bolts for the dog bones on the Triumph. I think I am going to have to take off the exhaust system in order to get them loose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts