Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I'm now the proud owner of a nice Zumo 660 unit, and although I could find some infos how how to mount it in the center instead of with the provided Ram mount kit, I did not find the perticular complete kit that allows me to install it the way I want to.

Please guide through a bit here as I need to know the exact parts needed, and where to get them (if publicity is a problem pm me)

I am leaving in less than to weeks for my big summer trip (Canada to Deals Gap and BRP and back) and need quick infos on how and where to gets the parts delivered quickly.

Thanks all for your kind help!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but you might try checking out Gadget Guys website. For my 550 I needed the Bracket Kit II and the Base Plate II to complete the mounting kit. It's a bit pricey but I have been very happy with it. Enjoy your trip.

Speed Safe,
Don

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Triumph sells a NAV system that is ridiculously expensive, but you can buy just the mount and it's the best! I love it. Your Triumph dealer can order all the parts you need for it. If I recall, it totaled about $70.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone!

I think the telferizer one might be the one that I am looking for.. .if it works and if I can order it to have it on time !

Will check that out during lunch time or asap or else might have to only listen to my directions ;)

·
Registered
444 Posts
not sure that will work on 1050 sprints! at least I have not been able to even undo the nut that caps off the steering column, yet alone find a replacement nut that would allow me to mount that on the bike!
Caps pop off with a small screwdriver and a little bit of leverage. I leave mine off, the caps are crap and age poorly, while the bolts they cover are stainless.

What I like about the Telferizer beyond the ease of installation (one minute) is that I have four mounting points to choose from.

Won't work with GenMar risers though, unless you get a longer version (which I'm sure he can make for you).

·
Registered
444 Posts
Thanks everyone!

I think the telferizer one might be the one that I am looking for.. .if it works and if I can order it to have it on time !
Mine came from the UK to Vancouver BC in about a week, Canada Post, tiny envelope, no duties, no PST/GST. You should get it a few days sooner in Quebec.

There's enough hardware in the Zumo kit for everything else you need, though I'd run by The Source or Futureshop/Best Buy and get a cheap 3' audio extension cable . Then you can route that under the tank and up out of the seat area, so all you need to do is plug in there.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Croak did you get our by telferizer mounting from the center stem or the bolt from the left clip-on ? I just got an answer from the telferizer itself and he says this :

Unfortuately I don't make a central mount for the Sprint ST. The mount I
supply fits as a replacement bolt on the handlebars so it sits slightly off
to one side. You can obtain from RAM a 3" arm which you can use to site the
satnav centrally.(see attachment)
I can't make any firm promises about delivery unless I send the mount with
DHL and that costs £27.95 however they deliver within four days. If you
placed and paid for the order today I could send it out Royal Mail tomorrow
and it "should" arrive in a week or so,.it has been know to happen in
four/five days in the past.

The photo shows that its a standard ball Ram mount from the top bolt of the left clip-on... I guess that will be allright with the supplied 2-3 inch arm from Garmin... what do you think ?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Croak did you get our by telferizer mounting from the center stem or the bolt from the left clip-on ? I just got an answer from the telferizer itself and he says this :

Unfortuately I don't make a central mount for the Sprint ST. The mount I
supply fits as a replacement bolt on the handlebars so it sits slightly off
to one side. You can obtain from RAM a 3" arm which you can use to site the
satnav centrally.(see attachment)
I can't make any firm promises about delivery unless I send the mount with
DHL and that costs £27.95 however they deliver within four days. If you
placed and paid for the order today I could send it out Royal Mail tomorrow
and it "should" arrive in a week or so,.it has been know to happen in
four/five days in the past.

The photo shows that its a standard ball Ram mount from the top bolt of the left clip-on... I guess that will be allright with the supplied 2-3 inch arm from Garmin... what do you think ?
Works better than fine offset IMHO. Center mounting a GPS looks more attractive/cleaner, but mounting it there can interfere with the ignition, it's further out of your line of sight, can be more easily obscured behind tank bags, and finally, to operate it, you need to move your hands quite a ways from the controls.

But if you really want, you can use the RAM arm in your Zumo kit to center the unit using a Telferizer.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I did a ton of research initially and I'm telling you guys that you should check out the genuine triumph mount. It's as sturdy as the aftermarket ones but weighs less, smaller in size, better looking, and great integration. It's designed for the Garmin 4-screw cradle so not sure how well it will work with other brands. Check the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I finally received my telferizer central mount for my Garmin Zumo 660 and after testing it this morning, gotta say that I LOVE this. It is perfect, slightly on the left so I can still access my ignition key, I can still easily control it with my left hand and it is now in my line of sight without hiding the speedo and other things in the cluster. Even more so, I is now protected from the elements (bugs, gravel dirt). I paired it with a Scala Rider Q2 and.. man, I could I have been doing motorcycle for 20years without this combination??!! :)

·
Registered
896 Posts
I did a ton of research initially and I'm telling you guys that you should check out the genuine triumph mount. It's as sturdy as the aftermarket ones but weighs less, smaller in size, better looking, and great integration. It's designed for the Garmin 4-screw cradle so not sure how well it will work with other brands. Check the pics.
theres only 1 problem with the OEM mount ................. and thats the price
those numbers are so big they will take your breath away

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I agree with elevens that the factory mount is a clean design. I like it as well as GadgetGuy's designs.

Seems to me that it would not be that difficult to copy the factory design.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
You would think that I would remember that the Telferizer is probably the cleanest, most elegant mount option.

Especially since I have a home brew installation on my bike that is similar in concept. The difference is that I did not use the steering stem because there was an existing open hole in the Suzuki top clamp.

spare 3.jpg

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I've been asked for details on the Triumph GPS mount, so here are the part numbers and the retail price as of 9/2008:

A9750350 BRACKET MOUNT, RHS $26.65
A9750351 BRACKET MOUNT, LHS $26.65
A9750354 CLAMP ROD MOUNT ASSY $53.33
A9910052 SCREW, M6 x 12 DOMEHEAD $0.83 (2)
A9910162 WASHER, SHAKEPROOF, M6 $0.18 (2)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I should post a few pics of my mount, I used some of the mounting stuff that came with my Zumo 550 and bought a longer stainless steel U bolt at the local hardware store, I think it was all of $3.00. I wrappped it with some waterproof electrical tape, the kind that sticks to itself, and then mounted it to the left bar just as it rises to go off to the grip, clutch etc. With the standard Ram post it holds the Zumo left of center and high enough to not have to tilt my head to look, just a glance down. The 2 biggest drivers for doing this were from prior bikes having the ignition and gauges blocked. I had the Zumo center mounted on a Honda ST 1300 and you really had to look down to check it.....not good, on a Kawa Versys I did something similar to the Sprint and loved it, the Versys worked with the standard Zumo supplied U bolt.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts