Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Guys,
Sorry I started a new thread but had been going on with 2 or 3 others up to now on this matter.

BEFORE

I managed to get the heated grips installed.. it was not a really hard job to do... just took some problem solving and intuition.
I was a little surprised that the instructions did not suggest where to route the wires. In the end I just best guessed it.

NO significant issues with free play in the throttle although the throttle does seem looser and easier.

Finding the plug under the light was easy but working out how to remove the cap took a while.

Sadly as I was putting the left rear infill in place, my wife came into the garage to see how I was getting on... now whenever I am in the presence of a beautiful woman, my brain turns to porridge!

Why am I telling you this??? because I went and snapped off the little tab on the back of the lower infill that slides into the groove to hold it down.

Now, apart from a little vertical movement at the back of the infill everything is in place.

The screen was too easy to install. I had built it up in my mind to be a major job but it was a doddle. I came with 6 metal screws and 4 rudder expansion bolts and only 4 plastic washers. I only used 4 of the metal screws with the washers and reused the original plastic screws in the same place they were in.

Fired up the bike and turned on the heated grips...
they felt like the were starting to warm up them cloud of smoke starts bellowing up from the forks area.

Shut the bike down and had a feel around... nothing hot.. no melted plastic. hmmm.... then I remember I had the bike treated with ACF and the smoke of the ACF burning off the downpipes..

Restarted and let me bike run for a bit... the grips got nice and toasty.

I am looking forward to taking her out to see how the screen performs along with the grips.

If anyone has a spare lower left infill, please let me know! DOH!

AFTER

As you can see the difference is like day and night!!! because it was day and night HA HA (sorry couldnt resist... must be the ACF fumes)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The little tab that broke off

beware not to do this yourself when removing or replaceing the infills

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hey mate. Good work.

Nearly broke of the same tab myself doing some work on the bike...its easy to do.

Just curious, where did you mount the switch for the heated grips?

Party on !!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mounted the switch in the recommended spot on that very same panel.

There is a rectangle on the back side of the plate that needs to be cut out to make room for the switch. I used a hobby knife.

Best wishes!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey James

How do you like your screen? It looks good.

I'm crazy busy at the moment but keen to hook up some time to have a look at it.

I might have to tell my wife I have to do some shopping for Valentine's day or something! :rolleyes: Although with the weather the way it is at the moment I am only riding when I have to (still everyday but keeping it to a minimum - work and back!)

later...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unique,

The screen does look good and I was hoping to take the bike out yesterday to check it out.. but of course it was absolutely miserable pouring with rain all day.

Might get the chance to take it out for a short spin today before work (I work nights). If so will report back as to how effective it is and where the wind blast hits or doesnt hit. Will also try to get an outdoor daylight photo.

Regards

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
James

Excellent!

Now once dry, that means we should be having a UK Sprint mini-meet!:D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Managed to take the bike out today for a short spin with the following observations.

1.Grips heat up nicely.

2. The screen has certainly changed the airflow but I am still not sure where it now is or if it is better than before. The top of the screen feels like it is only a couple of inches from my nose!

3. There is a lorry driver out there, hauling a load of crashed/scrap cars, with no number plate on the rear, who is a complete and utter plonker who completely fails to check the next lane before pulling into it :realmad:.... am glad for my ABS today... today made every penny of the extra money worth it! :ClapHappy:

Roll on better weather!!!!

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
would you fancy a ride to somewhere in Kent near M25?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts