Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
No im not going for looks alone, i want something that looks like the old zener but works like a modern unit. Guess i will have to challenge my automotive electrical engineer buddies on this one?

·
6,907 Posts
Hi Rod,

Xenor Diode Heat Sink
The bracket I've been supplied comes with a pre drilled hole on the section which would mate with the bike.
It means drilling into the Bottom Yoke Stem.
Being a non welder and without welding gear, I
Do you think that would do the job with minimal technical input.
Imho, no ...

To get good access I'll need to remove the mudguard, front brake and wheel
Says you're planning to lie under the forks with an electric drill, pushing the bit into the bottom of the steering stem? I'm guessing you don't know about lubrication and cooling when drilling steel? Try entering something like, "drilling steel" into YouTube and watch a couple of the linked videos ... ;) Without copious amounts of cutting fluid, the drill bit will heat up and blunt very rapidly. :(

Also ime, the axis of the hole is highly unlikely to align with the axis of the steering stem. Having tapped the hole, your bolt on-bracket will be at right-angles to the hole, not the steering stem ...

hoping to bolt or screw the bracket into place, maybe using a tapping or metal screw.
:unsure: Not sure what you mean by "a tapping or metal screw". I don't know of any way except by tapping the drilled hole for a bolt?

orientation won't be ideal as the Heat Sink might end up either a little too low or a little too high.
Having drilled and tapped a hole in the steering stem or lower yoke casting and bolted on the bracket, you can't be sure there'll be clearance for the heatsink under the headlamp shell. Even Triumph couldn't guarantee it, is why the heatsink in your images has that stepped bracket ...

Do you think it's worth it?
To fit a lump of metal whose only function is aesthetic, only you can decide ... However, imho a design principle worth keeping in mind is, "Form Follows Function" ... :)

Hth.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
9,704 Posts
If I was doing it, and I wouldn't, I would get a bit of stainless.

Either a strip that is roughly the width of the height of the bottom yoke (sorry about the mix of height/width!!)
Or something wider that you can cut to make a T shaped bracket.
Width wise, fit it using the bottom yoke pinch bolts, and if using the T shape, bend to give a mount for the egg.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Thanks Dave.
I'll toy around with that.
Maybe a wooden mock to see what it'll look like before going metal.
I like the idea of using existing fastening points.

R R

·
Registered
573 Posts
Just leave the zener in place and disconnect it. I left mine in place for future generations (I can only hope the bike survives). My podtronics is actually mounted on the inside of the zener heat sink (I have the kind by the battery). You can stash that thing in a lot of places.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts