Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Zard 2 into 1 exhaust systems and was wondering how it compared to the Arrow and what is the difference between the cross version and the low slung one. i loke the look of the 2 into 1 exhaust.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
IMHO:
It looks good.
It sounds good.
Its as loud as you want it to be (removable Db killer)
And certainly adds a bit more Ooommff to the bike!!

How Zard compares to Arrow I've no idea tho.
I cant afford both!

V.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Both are way over priced.$639.00 D&D might kick both of there ass on the dyno.
You may very well be correct Mike.

But what kicks what on the dyno wasn't on any lists of criteria which I had when I bought the Zards.
Far from it!

Yes, they're not cheap. I agree.
But quality and fit can't be faulted.
And for me the aesthetics, the "musical enhancement" and the availability were the predominant factors.

To each his own............

V.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Both are way over priced.$639.00 D&D might kick both of there ass on the dyno.
I passed on an Arrow setup for $750 on ebay (a buy it now price)...it didn't last long. There's deals out there if you are patient...

No offense to those who have the Zard, but what's up with those ugly-ass welds? You'd think they would clean them up a bit. That would make me want to black them out....

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
I passed on an Arrow setup for $750 on ebay (a buy it now price)...it didn't last long. There's deals out there if you are patient...

No offense to those who have the Zard, but what's up with those ugly-ass welds? You'd think they would clean them up a bit. That would make me want to black them out....
I agree for that much money they should be cleaned up thats kinda half ass

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Both exhausts Arrows and the Zard are excellent choices. I run the ArrowBoth have removable DB killers, are constructed of stainless steel and produce measurable increases in rwhp. The Zard is a racers pipe with a look and sound of authority. The Arrow is a beautifully constructed pipe with almost seamless welds and perfect fit. The bottomline is you get what you pay for. Either pipe is a superior choice for durability, longevity, ease of maintenance and increased performance. I don't want to get into a compairson with the D & D but it has the asthetics of a cheaper quality pipe. As far as the D & D being the superior performance enhancement, there are no direct comparisons of the pipes to draw from. The D & D is cheaper, yes but is also reflected in it's construction. Shop around if your looking for a Zard or Arrow.

Cheers
Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Well the D&D has proved to make over 100 hp on our motors till i see one of the others do better thats fact enough for me .BP makes a pipe that looks better then all 3 it allso has made big hp and is a tuneable system.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Well the D&D has proved to make over 100 hp on our motors till i see one of the others do better thats fact enough for me .BP makes a pipe that looks better then all 3 it allso has made big hp and is a tuneable system.
100 HP...oh, really? with just the D&D and NARK?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Well the D&D has proved to make over 100 hp on our motors ........
Come on Mike!

Isn't that a little like saying the spark plugs made 100 hp!!??

The pipes (as well as the plugs) were only a small part in the 100 hp equation.

Lets stay realistic in all this.
Maybe there is a slight HP difference between differing exhausts.
But as you know, we'd be talking very low single digit figures!

V.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
:bs::bs::bs:

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
Come on Mike!

Isn't that a little like saying the spark plugs made 100 hp!!??

The pipes (as well as the plugs) were only a small part in the 100 hp equation.

Lets stay realistic in all this.
Maybe there is a slight HP difference between differing exhausts.
But as you know, we'd be talking very low single digit figures!

V.
not thats from some guys i know and testing they did on the dyno with big bore stroked motors . No you are dead wrong pipes can add or take away 10 to 20 hp when you get these motors to the max.Mine whent from 75 to 89 hp with the D&D 2 into 1 from preds.You wont see gains like that unless you have a good flowing head carbs and good cams though.Fast freddy in GA made 101hp with the D&D 2into1 and 103 hp with the D&D 2into2 full race ,He lost 20hp by changeing to the street D&D 2INTO 2.PREDS made mid to upper 90s on that motor,BUBS made the lest hp of all he ran .Bill at bp has made upper 90s with his 2 into1.The more hp you get out of these bikes the toucher they get.
I am talking 989,1087,1100 and 1200 cc big bore stroker motors not stock bikes.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Mike, your right pipes can make a drastic difference. There are all types and configurations. Some with larger head pipes, shorter scavenge areas, tapered cones, tapered collectors, shorter or longer collectors, different baffling etc., and all for a certain purpose and applications. I not refuting the fact that the pipes don't make horsepower but at what rpm, what cost at lower rpm's and what state of tune. Horsepower figures are relative to the dyno utilized as you well know. Different dyno's produce up to 30% differential readings. Ambient pressure, temperature and altitude, play an even bigger part on how much horsepower a motor will produced on any given dyno. Just because one pipe is suited to produce horsepower with a particular state of tune doesn't mean it will do so with a different application. Like I said, no definitive comparison had been made as of today. The pipe has to meet the criteria of the rider. Looks, performance, and required maintenance all play a role. Not just one specific attribute. Your right, BP makes a really nice pipe but it's been made especially for his state of motor tune. Even his dyno's show rating for a highly modified motor. Manfactures and dealers have there favorites. Sure they will tell you that their specific pipe makes more horsepower and post a specific dyno proving particular horsepower achieved. But I'll tell you this, I've seen many of those so call irrefutable dyno's doctored and collected from other sources.

I asked a similar question of Triumph Performance, they stated that their Dominator Pipes made 3 hp more than the Arrow. I questioned them regarding the tune of the motor and if the DB Killer was in or out on the Arrow. I never got an answer, which leads me to believe that they tested it with the DB Killer in, on different days and conditions, The Arrow DB Killer is exceptionally restrictive. To many factors come into play when your talking about exhausts. Making a definitive statement that one pipe will out perform another across the range is way to general and speculative. I'll have to reserve my judgement until I see some irrefutable proof, which by the way hasn't happened yet.;)

Cheers

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
I havent seen any testing done with the zard or arrow on a built motor yet .I can tell you the db killer out might not help as much as you think ,only a dyno test will tell.A motor with a stock head, pipes might not show as much change .But then again a guy that spends $800 to $1200 on pipes its only a mater of time before he mods the rest of the motor.
Once you get these bikes over 80hp you got more low end power then you can use they are not like high reving jap bikes they put as many ft/lbs out at 2500 to 3000rpm as a stock bike has to start with.Ithink any of the 2into1 pipes move the ft/lbs alittle higher in the rpm range though thats how they make more hp.

·
Registered
623 Posts
[quote=Skull Crusher

I asked a similar question of Triumph Performance, they stated that their Dominator Pipes made 3 hp more than the Arrow. I questioned them regarding the tune of the motor and if the DB Killer was in or out on the Arrow. I never got an answer, which leads me to believe that they tested it with the DB Killer in, on different days and conditions, The Arrow DB Killer is exceptionally restrictive.>>>

I don't have a recollection of any E-Mail asking that question.
However here is the answer:
We tested both systems in a 904 Thruxton( stage 1 head, 813 cams,39 FCR's), same day, same dyno, same conditions.
The Arrow system had the DB killer removed for the test, bike was optimally jetted for the Arrows during the dyno session, it produces 79 RWHP and 57 RWTQ.
Then swap the Arrow for stock Thruxton headers and Dominator pipes, same jetting netted 81+ RWHP and 58+ RWTQ.
I hope this help.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Yes I believe I also asked the same question in the thread ARROW 2 INTO 2 vs. SouthBay Dominator Exhaust - SPORT where TPUSA posted 6 days ago and I didn't get an answer on the thread. I emailed the lengthy question also. You may not have got the email. I appreciate the perspective. Did you happen to run a motor in stock trim with both pipes?

Cheers

·
Registered
623 Posts
Yes I believe I also asked the same question in the thread ARROW 2 INTO 2 vs. SouthBay Dominator Exhaust - SPORT where TPUSA posted 6 days ago and I didn't get an answer on the thread. I emailed the lengthy question also. You may not have got the email. I appreciate the perspective. Did you happen to run a motor in stock trim with both pipes?

Cheers

Sorry Jeff, I just noticed your post to me in the other thread.
We did not run the Arrow system with a stock motor yet.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts