Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys got rid of z1000 in favor of the triple and just thought Id share my impressions. First the zed is faster on top hands down. Throughout the low to middle the s3 is way gruntier though. I had to put a full akra system on my zed to give it a shot in the arm down low. Helped alot though. Second the triple is far more sure footed than the zed. The budget suspension on the kawi is almost unforgivable. Brakes on the zed Id say are better but the brake issue has kinda been beat to death. They both do thugery real well though. Im not sure if thats a word. The seat on the zed is terrible too. The kawi is cheap though and all those things can be fixed. It also looks the business. The triumph grabs me though. I cant explain it but I will never go back. Id like to know what the z1000 owners on here think.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I had a Z1K for almost a year awhile back. With the Muzzy pipes it sounded good and was pretty easy to throw around with the resultant 35 pound weight loss (those Flash Gordon looking stockers were Very heavy). I had a lot of other aftermarket stuff on it as well, including a Corbin seat which enabled me to ride it to Laguna Seca for '05 MotoGP in relative comfort. To be perfectly honest, though, I really do like the S3 a lot more, and plan to keep it for much longer than I did the Z. I like the way it handles better than I did the Z, and you're right about the low end on it, although I didn't think the Z was too lacking beyond its flat spot at around 2000 rpm. One thing that bugged me about the Z was its buzziness through the grips. All in all, the S3 is a much nicer bike that garners a lot of positive attention. While the Z was a fairly radical looking bike when it first came out, I much prefer the looks of the S3, and feel somewhat more confident when riding it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yup you guys nailed my impressions too. I had my Z1000 for a year and half. Suspension SUCKED on that bike. And it was very buzzy. The S3 is in my opinion a MUCH better bike. Way more fun to ride, and I think it looks way cooler than the Z. The only thing I miss about the Z is the real throaty sound with the carbon fiber slip-ons (2-bros) I have wolf carbon cans on my S3, and although they sound great, I miss the sound of the Z. It was because of the 4 into 2 exhaust that mad it sound so cool.

I'm glad with my decision to sell the Z and buy the S3.

I'm not looking back.

-Jay

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yep - had a Z1000 for a year. Very buzzy, ***** suspension, felt like it would never go round corners. Riding position was nowhere near as good as my S3, so I never felt that I could tuck in to go that fast - certainly my S3 is no slower on the road. Brakes on my 01 are no worse than the Z.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a Z a couple years ago and didn't like it one bit. Very weak down low and buzzy as hell.
Now I have a S3 and it's twice the bike the Z was.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think theyre missing the boat on the new z as well. It doesnt need more motor. I had an 05 zx10r. That motor is incredible. But there wasnt anything wrong with the 9r motor. Like I said weak down low but extremely strong on top. They should put zx6r suspension on it.

·
Banned
5,284 Posts
On 2006-11-24 07:34, Butch76 wrote:
I think theyre missing the boat on the new z as well. It doesnt need more motor. I had an 05 zx10r. That motor is incredible. But there wasnt anything wrong with the 9r motor. Like I said weak down low but extremely strong on top. They should put zx6r suspension on it.
yeah Butch, I rode a friend of mine's 05 ZX10, and was very disappointed with the low end grunt. But now that top end??? Like a frigg'n 2-stroke on some major steroids! :razz:

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had won an '06 Z1000 in a drawing a while back and got rid of it because it was not comfortable and the vibration from the motor was relentless. I loved the way it looked and the ummmmph at top was awesome, but it had absolutely no balls down low and it was a bit to manage at parking lot speeds. Just did not handle well at all if going slow.
After getting rid of it I found I still had the need for speed and test rode the Speedy. After about five minutes of riding I was hooked. After installing a Corbin seat and better mirrors the S3 is the bomb.

[ This message was edited by: OKCTriple on 2006-11-24 20:29 ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts