Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shopping around for replacement shocks for my 2014 T-100. They have a set of YSS shocks for around 400 bucks on e-bay that seem to be comparable to Hagon or Tecs. Does anybody have any experience with YSS?

·
Registered
6,049 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I found YSS to be way too stiff as well. I have since gone with Icon's and am very happy with them.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I got along fine with my YSS emulsion units...not the reservoir ones. Not sure why folks are saying they're too stiff. That's why they have preload adjusters and about 50 clicks of rebound adjustment. If you get too heavy of springs for your weight, then ALL shocks will be stiff!!

Good luck,

--Rich

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
I got along fine with my YSS emulsion units...not the reservoir ones. Not sure why folks are saying they're too stiff. That's why they have preload adjusters and about 50 clicks of rebound adjustment. If you get too heavy of springs for your weight, then ALL shocks will be stiff!!

Good luck,

--Rich
225# pal of mine had his fancy YSS back and forth to the USA distributor three times before demanding his $$$ back. NO spring on hand was light enough apparently..., and he's no sylph. :D

Same pal had a similar experience with Ohlins, at least with better cooperation down in NC. After three tries, they are almost as good as my Ikons on a bumpy back road. ;)

From experience, generic stuff rarely works. When Ohlins builds a shock specifically FOR an application..., THEN..., adjusting spring rate and damping works just fine.

Same pal had a great experience with his Tiger 800 forks and shock at Ohlins in NC. My 796 with DU-737 is great value ordered for my weight and riding style from NC.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
225# pal of mine had his fancy YSS back and forth to the USA distributor three times before demanding his $$$ back. NO spring on hand was light enough apparently..., and he's no sylph. :D
I guess times have changed. My YSS shocks came from Bellacorse when they first became available...they worked out great for me @ ~175# in gear/ready to rock. I've not noticed an improvement with the Ohlins I'm running now and will go back to the YSS shocks if the Ohlins prove too much of a hassle to get right (bought 'em used).

I notice that Mike no longer carries YSS in his product line...

Regards,

--Rich

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Its like any shocks you put on your bike they need to be set up for your weight and riding style, I would never buy cheap shockies, I would pay extra to buy shocks that can be rebuilt that way they will last you a life time, I have run the same Koni shocks on my Norton for over 37 years now, they cost more than the cheap ones but in 37 years of hard riding I only rebuilt them for the first time 2 years ago and the rebuild kit only cost $40 and I rebuilt them myself.
I brought some Gazi shocks for my Thruxton but haven't been real happy with them I wanted to orginaly put a set of Ikons on but was talked into the Gazi's but since then I friend gave me his new Ikon's man what a big diffrences they made compared to the Gazi's, the Ikon's look the same as my old Koni's and are more simple to set up and ajust for my riding style, I ride very hard and always push my bike to its limits and so far will stick to the Ikon's (Koni's) and buying second hand shocks without knowing the history of them is asking for troubles, as you got to wonder if they are so good then why are they selling them, well thats my opinion anyway.

Ashley

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
Good info here Ive been really thinking of trying the YSS but I rather spend a bit more on Ohlins
I really afraid that the YSS is just a mass produced product out of Thailand

·
Registered
6,049 Posts

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
When i ordered the YSS i gave my weight and riding type so i assumed they came with the correct springs.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
YSS is a very good brand. I used to sell them and still would if they had proper US importation/distribution. The former YSS importer I was getting stock from is now a Gazi distributor, and I find Gazi every bit as good as YSS. The dist. is also very helpful to me which sealed the deal.

I find most suspension OEM's recommend a higher (stiffer) spring rate than I personally recommend. That would explain the complaints about too stiff of shocks.

/M

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've been shopping around for replacement shocks for my 2014 T-100. They have a set of YSS shocks for around 400 bucks on e-bay that seem to be comparable to Hagon or Tecs. Does anybody have any experience with YSS?
Like BeemerRich, I too can't understand people's beef with YSS shocks. They are excellent, ridiculously easy shocks to set up with a little test and tune, and for the money, are probably the best legitimate shock available for our machines.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Like BeemerRich, I too can't understand people's beef with YSS shocks. They are excellent, ridiculously easy shocks to set up with a little test and tune, and for the money, are probably the best legitimate shock available for our machines.
Maybe you bought yours before Herman took over? ;)

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Who is Herman?

/M
Sorry, I plead Halfsheimers. :)

Had to dig up e-mails c.2011. T'was Klaus who was the main contact at EPM Performance in NJ.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I have installed YSS piggyback shocks on the wife's Thruxton. I bought them second hand and was going to change the springs out as the YSS guy in Adelaide (Oz) said that they wouldn't work and I would need to change them out as Leonie is too light and the rate was too stiff for her.

It was fine for her. They started to leak after a couple of years and I had them rebuilt. They were expensive to have rebuilt which was a bummer :(

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
T'was Klaus who was the main contact at EPM Performance in NJ.
Klaus @ EPM was indeed (an) US importer for YSS. Not the only one, but certainly the most focused on their road bike products (other importers are mostly scooter shops). During his tenure, he serviced me quite well, and does so to this day with Gazi & Hyperpro shocks.

I never really learned the 'whole story' as to why he dropped YSS, and quire frankly, I never pushed for an explanation.

I am very pleased that EPM picked up the Gazi line after the previous importer suddenly closed shop. That's how I'm going to retire: no notice, just poof - Gone. Of course it will be a massive heart attack or a head-on with a Buick that will end my career. :wink2:

/M

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
for about $500 you can get a great pair of Bitubo WME's from carpimoto that suit your weight, about 1G for Ohlins, not a little more!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts