Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn’t want to spend four figures on a front fork cartridges so I went with YSS fork kit which were more affordable. I’m gonna try and install them myself. Does anyone have experience, tips or tricks for install? Does anyone have any reviews they wanna share?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go to YouTube “delboys garage” for his fine video on installing TEC springs.
not a hard task. Take you time. Do one leg at a time and be sure to pump all the old oil out.
His videos are a great resource and have already helped a ton. I’m comfortable with doing the job, it seems pretty straight forward, just replacing internal parts. Just wondering if anyone has any beta on the job before starting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You will need to completely disassemble the fork legs separating the upper tube from lower slider and removing the guts. The damper tubes will need to be drilled and the emulators needs to their pre-load pre-set before re-installing everything.

For others reading this thread, a Matris Fork Cartridge kit is well under $1000, even with dealership labor. For DIY'ers, it's a true drop-in/plug-n-play install which does not require the forks to be disassembled. #bellacorse

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will need to completely disassemble the fork legs separating the upper tube from lower slider and removing the guts. The damper tubes will need to be drilled and the emulators needs to their pre-load pre-set before re-installing everything.

For others reading this thread, a Matris Fork Cartridge kit is well under $1000, even with dealership labor. For DIY'ers, it's a true drop-in/plug-n-play install which does not require the forks to be disassembled. #bellacorse
Thank you for your input! I recently changed my seals, do you know if the seals need replacing every time you disassemble the fork? Or just removing them carefully they can be reused?

·
Registered
145 Posts

I have fitted these. And no you don't need to drill the damper rod. The instructions do not mention this at all, however the internet is full of old info. I contacted the UK main distributer and he confirmed that no drilling is necessary and it is old info.
You will not need to dismantle your forks, unless you really want to, as it all just drops into place. If yours comes with an adapter ring, make sure you fit the valve to it first as it clicks into place. The valve is set for "the average" so see how it feels. I had to soften mine a touch which is a total pain in the ass as you need to fish around in there to get it all out again. Avoid if possible !!. I used the recommended 20w oil and air gap.
Hope that helps

Jon

Reactions: Lordthorn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have fitted these. And no you don't need to drill the damper rod. The instructions do not mention this at all, however the internet is full of old info. I contacted the UK main distributer and he confirmed that no drilling is necessary and it is old info.
You will not need to dismantle your forks, unless you really want to, as it all just drops into place. If yours comes with an adapter ring, make sure you fit the valve to it first as it clicks into place. The valve is set for "the average" so see how it feels. I had to soften mine a touch which is a total pain in the ass as you need to fish around in there to get it all out again. Avoid if possible !!. I used the recommended 20w oil and air gap.
Hope that helps

Jon
Definitely helps. Thank you. I tried emailing YSS for clarification but hadn’t heard back from them. I noticed it didn’t say anything about drilling in the instructions but then I started to search the web.
The valve came with a stepped aluminum adapter and an aluminum washer on top. Does that washer just go between the valve and the spring?
3529B543-715C-4926-8F0E-4AEE1CAE6622.jpeg

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi Lordthorn
My instructions show clip valve into the adaptor, drop that down to sit on the damper rod, then the spring, then washer, then spacer tube and finally the fork cap/preload udjuster.

Jon

Reactions: Lordthorn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hi Lordthorn
My instructions show clip valve into the adaptor, drop that down to sit on the damper rod, then the spring, then washer, then spacer tube and finally the fork cap/preload udjuster.

Jon
Oh, okay. So it’s replacing the OEM washer already in the forks. I thought it was a buffer between the valve and spring.
I’m gonna ride this weekend so I’ll be swapping it out in two weeks.
Thanks Jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts