Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
At least the track staff was quick to respond. At least the corner worker you see as the camera bike stopped was really hoofing it over.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Got to love the Isle of Man TT. Where else in the world do you get to watch bikes blowing by at 150mph through narrow streets in a beautiful location.

I have all the Duke TT videos from 2002 to recent. The Dunlop name is legendary for sure in motorcycle racing. Both Joey and Robert are gone now but not forgotten.

Hutchy's performance this year was awesome indeed :applause

I will go to the Isle of Man and see this race - oh yes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The footage at the start of this thread is not the TT, but one of the irish road races. The rider ahead, in orange, is Ryan Farquhar, probably the best of the irish road racers. He runs his own machines and the footage shows that there is little that can catch him, except in straight lines.

The footage of the deer crash is not the TT either. There are no deer here, anyway. If you think about the logistics of keeping animals and people off the roads over 37.7 miles of the TT course, it is a big ask. It is amazing that we manage to do it. It is a big team effort.

Road racing is different from short circuit racing. The risks are inherent but much is done to try and minimise them here. You simply cannot eliminate it. This is why it remains one of the biggest challenges for man and machine.

I know you will all feel sorry for me, but I have to commute the mountain section of the course every day on one of my bikes. Its hell, but someone has to do it. :p

See you at TT2011. If not, why not?

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
Great Jumping Gehosephat! I'm not familiar with what the TT is, but not a regular race, I'd guess, otherwise how the heck did the guys get out in front of him that he passed. The other guy had to keep up to film, too, crazy.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Road racing is different from short circuit racing. The risks are inherent but much is done to try and minimise them here. You simply cannot eliminate it. This is why it remains one of the biggest challenges for man and machine.
Risk cannot be eliminated from any human endeavor. Period.

Tripps, get thee to Google and type in "Isle of Man TT." When you have a few hours to spare. No single race in the world of motorcycling (or racing in general, IMHO) can compare.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
I think the risk is what makes the IoM so very interesting to me. The TT is so much more interesting than, say, a race at Bahrain or some other cookie-cutter circuit with perfect tarmac and huge run-offs. You never really know what's going to happen from lap to lap or from section to section. I also love seeing the slo-mo clips of the bikes jumping and squirming along the bumpy road surface. I'm really not interested in racing that much but the TT really works for me.

I will say, however, that I'm glad the TT is a stand-alone event. Anyone who undertakes the challenge of the TT should do so because they want to, not because they have to.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
TT racers have huge cajones.

thus49, you're a lucky, lucky man but I couldn't stand the cold! :D

·
Registered
949 Posts
Last year was my second visit to the TT, the first was in 2008, when i went over with a couple of mates and camped at a brilliant site at Union Mills.
I had only had the Ducati M900 a couple of months and it being my first bike, after a ten year break to get the studio business up`n running, it was more a baptism of fire!
Ten year break + Ducati 900 + Isle of man TT = Nervous times!

Last year, i was conscripted to my mates race team, as the guy who makes sure the race bike is cosmetically sorted - basically cleaning the bike after a run, removing dried flies and associated crap, checking that all the fastners aren't loose, tyre warmers, etc.
The bike is a Suzuki GSXR1000 K10, ridden by Irish road racer Alan Connor and owned by Huw (Egi) Huws of Anglesey, Gwynned, who invested over £30,000. to race the Suzuki at the TT last year.
Huw himself, had ridden competetively at the TT, Manx and Irish road circuits for over 15 years, on an ex Trevor Nation Norton Rotary, which he still owns.

The riders and crew in the pits are like a family, they have known and raced with each other for years and have no problem with helping out and lending out stuff, if it means that another bike is on the circuit, true comradeship.
When anyone is killed or injured at the TT, be it a rider or a visitor, it is felt throughout the pits and beyond.
This was very apparent when the Australian Martin Loicht and Paul Dobbs of New Zealand lost their lives last year at the TT.

Loicht, 48, of Vienna, a father of two and professor of mechanical engineering, was involved in a fatal wreck at Quarry Bends during the Supersport 2 race.

Dobbs, 39, also a father of two, met the same fate in the same race after crashing at Ballagarey.
This is the downside to any motorsport but it happens each year and still riders from all over the world come to race, or visit the Isle of man, why?....because it's the Mecca of all that is Motorcycling.

I'll probably be there again this year, as a spectator.
I've seen both sides of the TT, as a visitor and part of a race team, which was an experience in itself.
If you haven't yet been to the TT or Manx GP, then make it a goal in life, "one of the ten things to do before i die" type of things.

100_1135.jpg Alan Connor.jpg

G ; )

·
Premium Member
13,150 Posts
Whereas we Australians think it's quite funny.:D

{I won't point out that I've edited this post to remove an unnecessary quoting of the entire previous post, because despite being told that mods should make it clear when they edit posts, apparently people find it annoying and complain when mods make it clear that they've edited posts, so I'll just hope everybody is happy at this point. Or not. If being unhappy makes you happy, I wish you all the unhappiness in the world. Peace. HiDesert}
[& I won't point out how bloody annoying you've been lately, with all this unnecessary editing. Peace Off! Scratch]:D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good to hear from someone involved in one of the teams Blueprintz, why are you not helping this year, or is the team not competing? It is an expensive business; this year the length of the event has been reduced slightly to help reduce the financial burden.

Hopefully, this year is going to be well supported again, numbers of bookings are up on this time last year. As well as the racing there will be great entertainment on the prom, sponsored by Monster Energy. It all helps the party atmosphere.

Fingers crossed that we have no serious incidents this year. Those of us who are involved in the event try to put everything we possibly can in place to keep incidents to the minimum and to give riders the best care possible. As it has been said, if there was no danger there would be no challenge. It is a very difficult to balance the two things.

Lots to do between now and end of May!

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Might do the Manx this year. We Marshalled last year at Ginger Hall. depends on the job front at the moment. Not a good time to be a public sector employee.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts