Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All - after talking to a fellow Sprint rider at a gas station recently and him telling me he uses every millimetre of the tyre, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the matter of chicken strips.

Of course - depending on riding style, they are a guarantee of nothing other than how far the bike was leant over. I probably ride very conservatively and have half an inch on the left, moreso on the right hand side. I also tend to think that being as far over as to touch all the tyre down may not be leaving enough room for error - for street riding.

I will admit to seeing bikes with no chicken strips and being a "little envious". But then I remember that riding is fun and best done within one's comfort level.

However big your chicken strips are, take care - BB

·
Registered
459 Posts
Er, what are they then :-D

I bought the whole tyre and I'll use the whole tyre, Oh and well grazed knee sliders look V cool.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I don't want to talk about it as I just can't get rid of the dam things! Mine are the same as yours. I think tire brand plays a role too as my Avon's had less the my current tire brand in the same sizes. :(

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have yet to get to the edge! Either when I had the originals on my ST, or my Pirellis I have on there now.

I ride with a friend who rides a new Buell. We always hit a road near us that has four or five nice twists to it. He rip's it and almost always goes to the edge (of his tires).
But on the same note...I am hitting the same speed thru the turns (roughly 70mph) as he is, but not touching the edge of my tires like he does.

Seems like I dont need to lean as far on my ST as he does on his Buell, to attack the curves at the same speeds!

(maybe Im just nutz LOL)

·
Registered
205 Posts
For me the point is to have a whole lot of fun without being too competitive. I also have a chicken strip, about half inch which I accept as my insurance in case I enter a corner too quickly. The only times that I use the whole tyre is on track days which is expected.
Gavin. :) :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think chicken strips are related to the bike model, tyre shape, riding conditions and rider skill. It also seems related to tyre pressure - the lower the pressure, the more tyre surface you'll use.

I certainly don't feel any less of a man because my bike has chicken strips if I'm riding on the street. It's nice not being a school bus front end ornament.

If you really feel the need to wear them out try dropping your rear tyre PSI by 5-10 (eeek!), or go do a track day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
chicken strips don't make the man! i prefer to leave a little on the tire. the road is not the racetrack. also to comment on TOJOHN's observation, different bikes or different tires may use more or less tire. i raced with WERA for a few years and the different shapes of different manufacturers tires meant you didn't always get to the edge, air pressure and suspension adjustment all have an effect. on the street it's all about comfort levels, on the racetrack if you're comfortable you're not going as fast as you could!

·
Registered
124 Posts
The longer I ride, the more it doesn't matter.

I used to not want any. Now I know if I hit the right roads in the right frame of mind, I could easily scrub them down. Unfortunately, I commute and travel around town so they always seem to sneak on back.

Later,
G

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
It must be my riding style or the way lean. I have no chicken strips (with or with out BBQ sauce) on the right side but about 1 cm (half an inch) on the left !!

No chicken strips doesn't represent hero status in my books but I try to improve my technique to get the most from the experience..

My $0.02 (AUD)

Puck ! Puck !

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't have any chicken strips at all, whatsoever. Of course, it helps that I'm a REALLY good rider. In fact, I'm such an awesome rider, that I don't even bother wearing any crash gear. Flip flops and shorts are good enough for me.

Of course, I wear my full face helmet, 'cause it's got a really cool design and it's color coordinated with the bike. Otherwise, nobody would know what a truly skilled rider I am.

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
All it shows is you are using all the tyre.

It is not immature as it obviously shows some ability to corner fast ............ if that is how you want to ride.

I do not have any chicken strips on the rear and about a 3mm chicken strip on the front.

It is how I and the experienced riders I ride with guage how some one rides and I have to admit I look at every bodies tyres. I have for 30 years.

If you wanted to ride with me and my two riding buddies we would all be checking out your tyres because it tells us how you ride.

It does not mean you are not a good rider if you have chicken strips it just means you don't go around corners overly quickly.

If you ride very fast you will have to use all the tyre.

I am proud of my 3mm front and no chicken strips rear.

If you want to call me immature, vain dumb or stupid I couldn't care less.

I ride how I like and you ride how you like it is all about enjoying your riding. :)

Davem :cool:
For no chicken strips see page 4 of my album or if I am immature don't bother yourself.

I don't mind either way :wink:

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Dave !! You can get down now :-D

:asb:

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
It may be your birthday for only one day but..... you'll always be a tyre nut.. :-D

1 - 20 of 56 Posts