Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you are riding along on your Triumph and all is well with the world. The sky is blue, the larks are rising and the birds are out. You are humming along and wistfully thinking, this is good, I am glad I took a sickie from work and frankly I do not want to go back to my humdrum life of toil and slavery. What would you be saying to yourself in Latin?

Thanks, by the way, to Haggis, who has posted this on his Avatar - ”Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis”. I think from distant memories of brutality at school this means something like 'You do not know the dark side'.

My own optimistic preference, as I ride along, is 'Via, Veritas, Vita' - The truth, the way, the life. Sometimes, however, on the rare occasion the bike breaks down, it becomes - 'Nil desperandum Johannes' - Don't despair John (The AA is on the way).

If there enough suggestions posted I will compile a booklet for Obama,

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Illegitimis nil carborundum = don't let the bastards grind you down.
Quot culi, tot sententiae = opinions are like arseholes everyone has one

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
"Vae! Vescere bracis meis" - ****, Eat my shorts ! Comes to mind or perhaps in a flash something along the lines of...."Res melius evinissent cum Coca" - usually after a good ride and my meet with the Captain! It has been known, for a long plaitiff "Venienti occurrite morbo" to erupt buccally, when skidding along palms down into the rough, followed by a smirking "Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant!" but as the adrenalin drops a calm "Ventis secundis, tene cursum"! - being the usual!:)

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Thanks, by the way, to Haggis, who has posted this on his Avatar - ”Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis”. I think from distant memories of brutality at school this means something like 'You do not know the dark side'.
More of a James Earl Jones quality is needed:

Feel the power of the darkside!

I refer, of course, to removing the airbox from my bonnie!

I'm also partial to muttering: "Liberate tutame ex inferis" when riding in close proximity to a yummy mummy in a cage.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
I hear the new twin Thunderbird has 200bhp at the rear wheel !

Fama nihil est celerius. Nothing is swifter than rumour.

--------------
Ride on ! :) Merda taurorum animas conturbit

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Augustine heard that from over the wall, while he was in his garden. A precursor to Tim the Toolman and his neighbour!
Which raises the question "If you have no tools does a repair manual do any good?" In the end it takes both Auggie of Hippo and Tim Taylor. :D

·
Registered
493 Posts
Mundus vult decipi

"The world wishes to be deceived."

Its another way of saying that belief provides its own justification regardless of the facts.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
All too true, Geimer. One of human nature's more serious shortcomings.

Somebody's signature line is/was semper faecorum, nolo profundum variat (I may not have remembered it exactly right). I always thought that was brilliant.

·
Premium Member
14,085 Posts
faecorum semper solum profundum variat.

Always in the sh.t only the depth varies !

-------------
Ride on ! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts