Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys...
just curious... whats your ordering experience from Daniel Stern lighting??

I ordered a Cibie replacement lens more than 2 weeks ago and pay via Paypal. I havent heard from him again after I placed my order.

He was responsive when I emailed him with questions before I placed my order.

I've sent email to him 3 times in the past 3 days asking for the status of my order but havent heard a peep from him.

Any of you have the same experience?

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Yes, keep bugging him. He has two email addresses, too. Use the one with "products" in it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I contacted DS about ordering a 7" reflector and bulb about 2 months ago. He responded recently saying that he had to catch up on orders after a death in his family. According to him, he was ready to proceed with business so I bought one via PAY PAL. Now, 3 weeks later nothing from him to include e-mail responses. I'm not sure what's going on with him at this point.

·
30,527 Posts
That's a bummer. I have heard a lot of good things - I was going to order some stuff, guess I'll hold off for a while. He's had a good reputation, so I'm sure he'll get back in the swing of things.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I had no problems with him - very knowledgeable albeit a little quirky but his advice and products were spot on

·
Registered
31 Posts
If that doesn't pan out, you could try here:
http://www.cibieusa.com/
I just ordered from them and received the stuff pretty quickly. You need to know what to order though.

I tried to order from DS but I guess I hit him up at a bad time. He eventually sent me a Paypal invoice, but by that time I had to seek other avenues. I don't want to meet the Southern Wisconsin deer population up close in the dark.

·
30,527 Posts
What lamp did you order qbert? I want to get a cibie for my bike. How do you order? You must have to call them up yeah? Doesn't look like a shopping cart system on their website.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I called them and wound up ordering a Cibie/Osram H4 bulb 60/55 W bulb. The gentleman on the phone recommended this bulb because it was designed for Rally Sport purposes so it should be a bit better reacting to shock - I guess.

That said - I didn't know this at the time - DS recommends a Osram 70/65 W which should be brighter.

One thing to keep in mind, if you order the Cibie lens/reflector thing that has the parking bulb, CIBIEUSA might take a little longer on your order. I guess the warehouse (where this parking bulb is) is 100 miles away from the office (where the one without the parking bulb sits on the shelf) - trips to the warehouse a little rare I was told.

Good Luck

·
30,527 Posts
Wow. What a way to do business - still I really want a better headlamp - think I might give them a go.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Same Story As The Rest Of You

I ordered the Cibie unit with the Osram 70/65 upgrade. It took about three weeks. He did respond to my initial Email with the ordering info in return. I didn't even get a Paypal confirmation. But one day I got home from work and there it was sitting on the front porch. And in case any of you are wondering, yes this thing throws some really good light and yes it has already saved my bacon with the deer crossing the road in the middle of the night scenerio. I can tell you it is much better than the Sylvania XV6024 set up by far. No charging system issues either. I think you will be really happy with it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'm running the cibie setup, bought from daniel stearns. It took a bit to get it, had to bug him a few times, but did eventually ship and it is such a huge improvement that it was worth the pain to get it done.

Though if you know part numbers, it could take less time to order direct.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got a response from him 2 days ago after I disputed my charge via PayPal.

He told me that his grandfather just passed away and he was ready to refund my purchase or if I am still interested he will send it expedited to me today.

I took his word for it and gave him the benefit of the doubt, so I didn't cancel my order. Hopefully, it will arrive soon.

I also hope he'll pick up the slack for his own benefit.

·
Registered
224 Posts
D. Sterns is $20.00 Cheaper than cibieusa for the 7" Headlight Lens w/parking lamp

If that doesn't pan out, you could try here:
http://www.cibieusa.com/
I just ordered from them and received the stuff pretty quickly. You need to know what to order though.

I tried to order from DS but I guess I hit him up at a bad time. He eventually sent me a Paypal invoice, but by that time I had to seek other avenues. I don't want to meet the Southern Wisconsin deer population up close in the dark.
I checked out the cibieusa site and they want $95.00 for the 7" headlamp lens w/parking lamp that fits my Bonnie. DS wants $75.95 for the same exact one. I guess it all depends on what's more important; cost or good service. That said, when I was looking into purchasing a lens and lightbulb, DS was more than willing to email back and forth with me as many times as I needed in order to make an informed decision. He always seemed to have time to answer my questions quite thoroughly. Unfortunately when I finally decided to buy, I emailed him and requested a Paypal invoice and he responded by telling me that somebody close to him had died and that he would unavailable for a few days. Since then I've tried to make a purchase but he doesn't respond to my emails anymore. I guess he's been hit pretty hard by this loss.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Ordered new headlamp and bulbs from DS. Got it 4 days later.

After reading this thread last week, I ordered a new Cibie lamp and Osram 70/65 +50 bulb from Daniel Stern. Four days later it arrived. I informed him that I was starting a new job within a week that will require me to ride across a long and dark twisty road. Anyway, he hopped on it and got her done! I've got to tell ya, I am impressed! Low beam is the same as my stock high beam was but with a sharper cutoff at the top of the beam. This makes it very easy to adjust the low beam for oncoming traffic. High beam is like turning on a flood lamp. It lights up the whole road. I wasn't real impressed with the slight shadows from the way the lamp glass is designed, (it's ribbed) but after about twenty minutes of riding it didn't bother me so much. It is a huge improvement over stock and well worth the $113.00 and that included the lamp, lightbulb, parking lamp bulb and shipping. If I were to do it again, I might shop around for a lamp that doesn't have all of those internal designs/ridges on the inside of the glass as it seems it would give you a cleaner high beam. On low beam it is very clean. Be sure to purchase the parking lamp because the stock one doesn't fit the new lamp housing. You will need to splice the wires and add new connectors. Took about 5 minutes to splice the parking lamp wires and I'm slow. Hope this helps. Bob

·
30,527 Posts
I just ordered mine from Daniel.

I did some research - basically you buy from Daniel or from the US distributor. Both guys are highly rated as genuine enthusiasts by the classic car world. An alternative lens/reflector assembly is the Hella unit, which is no cheaper and also well rated, but generally the Cibie unit is considered the best. The Hella is available through more major distributors like Amazon.com.

So I went with that. I am very much looking forward to installing it.

I get the impression that Daniel Stern is very much on the ball, so hopefully he is back in the swing of things. Not only did he verify the components, but emailed me some advice about aiming the headlight, and linked to his website.

Man, I will be glad to pull the stock lens / reflector out of the bucket.

:D

·
Registered
224 Posts
I want details!

Hey Prop, when you get your new lens and bulb installed, I'd like to hear what you think. Stuff like how clear the light output is on high beam and whether or not it throws out shadows and stuff. The Cibie really throws the light out in a wide beam. I can see both sides of the road much better with my new lens but those lens shadows kind of bug me. What strength/wattage bulb did you go with?

·
30,527 Posts
Will do. If I have time I'll do a before / after photo of the lamp shining on a surface - see if we get any comparison.

Anyway, I went with exactly the same stuff you did - I ran the list by him and he said it was definitely what he would recommend.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts