Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
My dream bike is the one I built in the winter of 1990 and I still have. “Adventure Touring” hadn’t been coined yet so I called it my “Combat Tourer”. I wanted a bike with enough power for the highway but light enough for off road situations. I also wanted an extended range in case I got lost. My solution was to merry a Kawasaki KX125 frame with a Kawasaki 500 Ninja engine. I added an Acerbis Yamaha XT600 fuel tank as well as a pair of KTM saddle tanks giving me a total of 33L which was good for over 600 km. A Katana 1100 instrument cluster, Honda fenders, dual carbon fiber mufflers, a homemade cushy seat, and 2 Bates headlights ( I must have been channeling my future Speed Triple ). The end result was 302 pounds wet and with a pair of soft saddle bags and a tank bag, I made it to Alaska as well as, as far north as the roads go in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and British Columbia. I parked it after 9 years and over 30,000 km of mostly back roads. My winter project is to restore and upgrade the bike and see if it lives up to my 20 year old memories.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
My dream bike limited to one would be a Hesketh, yeah kinda odd but it is unique, looks comfortable (can no longer endure crotch rocker position), I suspect it would go well enough, and no doubt handle well as it is British (if it breaks....I not gonna dream about that)

If I could have more than 1 my list would include a Crocker and a Ducati Imola replica
However I don't have the money for any of them. Oh well keep dreaming

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Maybe because of the seat height. The MH has I think a 33" seat height. I remember when they were being sold on the internet only for $20K plus. There was a local dealer that had several of them for only $15K and a low mileage used one for less than $13K. If the seat wasn't so high(for me), I would have jumped on the used one.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
That is a nice bike, and I would not mind having one. I don’t know why rider you spoke with thought it would kill him. I have a 800cc Ducati Monster with the same suspension and the same HP and torque. Mine is easy to ride, smooth throttle, nothing unruly about it.
I think he made that remark with a bit of Italian irony and satire- he was probably nearly 80 years old at the time, had experienced major heart surgery and yet showed a wonderful sense of humor. He was also about 5' 5" and watching him dismount and then mount the bike when we parted ways was a treat in itself. A real character indeed!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Many years back I had a Laverda Jota and my friend had a Ducati 900 SSPR. It had the half fairing and in Black and gold pin stripe, John Player colours. A great looking bike

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I would like one of the new Norton Commandos but I doubt if I'll ever own one. Too much money for someone who's looking forward to retirement.

·
Registered
225 Posts
For various enjoyable reasons I've owned about 60 motorcycles in over 60 years of riding bikes.
Over that extended time I've had some favorites like a Suzuki with a wankel engine, a Honda CBX, 76 Honda Gold Wing Limited Edition, BSA Hornet, Bultaco Metrella, Honda 305 Dream, early 60's Bonneville, 1925 BSA, Hodaka Ace 90, and a couple others.

I'm fortunate to own my current dream bike, a mostly stock 2006 Triumph Bonneville T100. I like it because it reminds me of the classic looks of my early 60's Bonneville and is better in just about every respect. No oil leaks, no vibration, has an electric starter, and it has a certain type of classic look second to none.

For me the 2006 Bonneville is kinda special in that it was almost the last year of the 'new' Bonnevilles with the small gas tank similar to the 60's models. It also has gas tank paint striping similar to the 60's Bonnies, retro looking gauges, the 865 engine, spoked wheels, 19" front wheel, and more classic features. Can't think of another bike I'd rather own at this time in my life. And at 80 I'm becoming almost as classic as my 2006 Bonneville T100.

These are typical stock 2006 T100's :
Image result for 2006 triumph bonneville t100

·
Driftless Admin
11,436 Posts
My dream bike is the one I built in the winter of 1990 and I still have. “Adventure Touring” hadn’t been coined yet so I called it my “Combat Tourer”. I wanted a bike with enough power for the highway but light enough for off road situations. I also wanted an extended range in case I got lost. My solution was to merry a Kawasaki KX125 frame with a Kawasaki 500 Ninja engine. I added an Acerbis Yamaha XT600 fuel tank as well as a pair of KTM saddle tanks giving me a total of 33L which was good for over 600 km. A Katana 1100 instrument cluster, Honda fenders, dual carbon fiber mufflers, a homemade cushy seat, and 2 Bates headlights ( I must have been channeling my future Speed Triple ). The end result was 302 pounds wet and with a pair of soft saddle bags and a tank bag, I made it to Alaska as well as, as far north as the roads go in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and British Columbia. I parked it after 9 years and over 30,000 km of mostly back roads. My winter project is to restore and upgrade the bike and see if it lives up to my 20 year old memories.
I am in awe of this. You build your own bike to meet your own needs. And the product was cool to boot. Freaking A, very nice.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If we're dreaming, I'd have to say Bimota. Any of them would do. They are true exotics. I however, like the rest of you, am becoming a relic and may well be better off dreaming about one than riding it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I almost forgot, my own dream bike would be a BSA Rocket 3 circa 1970 with the ray gun exhausts. It was the bike I looked at through the dealers window when I was a kid.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great bike the BSA Rocket 3. I bought my Triumph T140V in 1978. Then later dreamed about a Trident T160.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I guess you should have titled this, “what is your dream garage”. Because limiting it to one is a bit difficult.

My garage would have the aforementioned 916, PanIgale
Yamaha RZ500LC
76 BMW R90S

·
Registered
295 Posts
I think if I were to get another bike sometime in the future it would probably be a BSA M20 with sidecar - in sand color.

However, since I found an old A7 frame in the garage and have started restoring it, I might end up with an A7 - with a sidecar one day.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mine would be a transformer bike, transforms from dirt, to street to track to cruiser to adventure to fun to push to uni and back to dirt. That way I don't need to compromise

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Let's see...Bikes have never been better, I can have any new bike I want more or less, so dream bike must be a Thruxton. Could also change to a different (new, awesome bike) and be just as happy.

It's possible to believe this and still love old bikes, so '68 Bonnie.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts