Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember seeing a comment here and there on the forums where someone said that their bike was totalled, yet here they(you) are on the forum.

I was chatting with a co-worker about insurance and he was asking me about the coverage, and we got on the subject of totalling a bike. I think that 'total'ing the bike doesn't necessarily mean that its crumpled into a little ball, but that there's enough damage for the insurance to be cheaper to just replace.

So, I'm curious what a 'total' accident looks like. I hope this isn't too a macabre of a thread. I'm a rock climber and there's an excellent book put out every year by the American Alpine Club; Accidents in North American Mountaineering. I've been in an accident that would be worthy of this book and I know that there's value in learning from others mistakes.

Care to share? :eek:

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
You'd be shocked how little it takes to "total" a bike - especially something like a sport bike that has a lot of plastics. 5mph lay down? Strong chance to get written off depending on the bike. check out www.racersedge411.com It's a website for selling salvaged bikes out of Cincinnati. Some of those bikes still look awfully decent.

·
Registered
959 Posts
If the damage is more than 50% or so of the bikes total value, pretty good chance it's going to auction and you're getting a check.

Say you've got an '01 Bonnie with lets say for the sake of argument 15k miles. Probably worth about what, 4.5k in excellent shape to the right person? (more like 3.5k in real world).

Bike goes down, you bent the handle bars, broke the brake leaver, snapped the right foot peg off and bend the brake foot lever. Probably dented the tank too, and most likely fubared the exhaust as well.

May not seem too bad, but that's at least 1500-2000k in damage.

Like Dirk_Gently said, it doesn't take much. Buddy of mine went down at about 10 mph on his R6 when He tried to pull a wheelie out of his parking lot and hit some gravel like an idiot. Cost him 3k to fix the bike.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I had a 05 T100 that was totaled after hitting a deer. The damage was the front forks, gas tank, front wheel, exhaust system, handlebars, mirrors, windshield, blinkers front and rear, shifter, rear fender, and probably other things I don't remember. Progressive paid out $9200(+) between the value of the bike, accessories and medical coverage.

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
I went down in a parking lot a couple months ago, hit a speed bump that was camouflaged by a trick of light. Was going maybe 10 mph and slid no more than 5 feet and that caused $2880.00 in damage to my bike.

Front axle
Front Fender
Handlebars
Bar-end mirror
hand-grip
Clutch Lever
Clutch shifter knob (snapped)
Clutch Cover
Foot Peg
Saddle Bag
BC Predator Silencer (Loudener?)

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
The 01 Bonnie I repaired this winter for a pal of mine who totalled it was ridiculous. The insurance company paid him out and put a salvage title on the bike. He bought the bike back from the insurance company for for next to nothing.

It was an 01 Bonnie with 4000kms on it. Damage was tail light, rear fender, scratch on back of seat (not tear) and the left can had a little bumper rash on it. The tank had a scratch from his jeans sliding up the tank when the Excursion rearended him. Buffed the tank, ebayed a fender, new bonnevilled a set of lights and BC customed a performance kit. $1000.00 and the bike was on the road.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
:( I hit a car head on at 50mph on my 250 MZ. The damage was spectacular. The whole bike was nearly 3 feet shorter, the front wheel hit the engine with such force that it broke it out of the frame, the engine then carreered into the back wheel, and trashed that. Even the front disc was bent in half. The entire bike looked like it had been thrown off a big cliff. Me? I spent 5 months in hospital, and another 12 months off work. Oh, and the car was a write off as well! As they say, "a proper job!"

·
Registered
35 Posts
Frames will do it!

Any frame damage, even scratches (something sportbikes are prone to) will do it. Cause the cost of the frame and the labor to basically disassemble the bike and reassemble it around the new frame will generally be enough for the insurance company to total it.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Any frame damage, even scratches (something sportbikes are prone to) will do it. Cause the cost of the frame and the labor to basically disassemble the bike and reassemble it around the new frame will generally be enough for the insurance company to total it.
+1. Any bike really, but especially a sportbike, even scratched paint on a frame and it's considered tweaked. Totalled then and there. I've rehabbed several over the years and there's just no way to know for sure without complete (and costly) disassembly. Had a ZX9R with a fairly bad rash on one side and it came up great, while a CBR900RR with a much smaller visible scratch was seriously whacked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts