Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, Being a newbie to this whole restoration thing, I sometimes do not realize what is normal, so when I heard a lot of rattling in the mufflers, I figured it was just loose carbon buildup. Well, Tonight I decided to clean them up a bit and started shaking to see if I couldn't get some of it out. And would you look at what started coming out...

IMG_8950 by eamann665, on Flickr

Somewhere along the storage of the bike, a family of squirrels must have made their home, or at least the storage of their nuts these mufflers! I guess you never really do know a safe place till you try it!

·
Registered
378 Posts
When was young and poor ( poorer than now) I fancied I would make my own air compressor from an old pump and a farm water pump tank. I plumbed it up and got it to puff a little....thought I would pull out the drain plugs and get out any left over water or debris...I unscrewed the 1" plug on the top, and out popped a small astronomically bound mouse...the astronaut did not survive. He did go about 15 feet in the air, but the landing was a bit rough - bounced off the inside of the roof and richoceted on the concrete. I kept the tank and have used it for about 35 years now..still think of the voyager every time I turn it on.

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
My '66 T120R had enough seeds and acorns in the mufflers to feed a family of squirrels thru the winter when I took them off.

I bought a Yam 650 as a parts/practice mule for $50 and as I pushed it up the ramp to my trailer about a gallon of water ran out of the mufflers.

Finding old bikes and taking them apart is like diving on old wrecked ships. You never know what is living in them nor what you may find in concealed areas.

regards,
Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts