Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rebuilt from salvage. 14 previous owners & the list of failed parts and servicing horrors was horendous!

Stage II of the restoration. Next it's full paint job/graphics, wheels repainted. Just fitted new engine after the last threw a rod, backend entirely rebuilt with new linkages and shock.

·
Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Scorpions. About the only silver lining on the salvage bike was that it came with them, a dynojet kit and a k&n filter. I think it's running lean at the top end because it doesn't want to pull much beyond the ton - is that common with these. What's a typical top end on an ST?

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Should bound along up to 110..then if you hold it about there and open it up it will keep pulling until maxed out, 130+ on a good day.

I see you have the earlier lump with the inspection cover for the sprag in it..lets hope you'll never need it but nice it's there all the same ;-)

Nice to see the old bus coming together..good work

Cheers
Mot

·
Registered
826 Posts
i have had 140 on the speedo, but ran out of road, she still had about 1500rpm before the limiter, i guess a full fairing helps tho!

·
Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This motor feel good. It was sold to me with 52k miles, but it feels smooth and strong. I'm aware of the inspection cover... fingers crossed. The bike does pull hard upto the ton, uphill. I've had an indicated 110mph, but I've not pushed it following the rebuild to give it and myself time to check out anything that might be amiss. It feels like all's well with the rebuild and the motor so I'll find a straight piece of (private) road (officer) and give it the berries. If it's ok I'll leave it or may consider raising the needles half/one notch. The back of my airbox doesn't have the snorkels fitted, I thought I read somewhere that may affect top end - any thoughts?

·
Registered
826 Posts
having the snorkels off sure does improve the sound, but in my experience, the midrange really suffered, which definately made it harder to get to the top end.it was still rideable, but certainly not as easy as with snorkels!

·
Banned
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, two heads are better than one. So I'll put 'em back on tonight and see what it's like tomorrow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts