Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
.... This was my first attempt and seems to be successful from a performance point of view as the bike runs very nicely albeit a tad rich but that just requires me to drop down a main jet size. It's all a bit trial and error. On reflexion, I think air box Mk 2 when I get round to it next winter will look a lot better than my first attempt but will also be on the same principle of a cut down primary box.
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but just wondering if you have made any further changes to this bike. Especially interested to hear how you got on with the airbox and rejetting as that's something I'm planning for my own project.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hi Patrick......I stuck with air box 1, my ideas for the re-design didn't work out....yet!!!

I have played with jetting though and never been entirely happy with it until I got a kit from a company called 6sigma who seem to know what they are doing with such trickery. So....currently running 130 main jets on outer cylinders and 125 on centre cylinder, pilots are up to 45 and I raised the needle one slot but can't remember now what slot that was but am assuming it was set at standard previously as I had never touched it, think it's on the centre slot?

I have painted the air box and alloy plate black which looks much better and also painted swinging arm black, new YSS shock, new gold front calipers, new Goodridge Gold brake lines and other bits n pieces over the winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hearing about the jetting issues makes me want to leave the snorkel alone since I’ve got little experience with carbs... I’m seriously thinking about doing some minor subframe and side panel fab, but that kit will be the ultimate endgame. But currently going for something like this that I found online

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Love your bike, I myself just completed a CRK kit from a 96 Sprint 900. I am running a Motad 3 into 1 Venom complete exhaust system and the CRK foam Ram-Air filter. I'm jetted at 140 mains and 40 pilots, I am way too rich, Ive got black soot in the can and sooty exhaust when I goose it. I also have a stumble at 2000-2300 rpm on my way up the revs.

Im going to drop my mains and maybe do the middle carb a bit smaller. Are you pleased with your set up??

Thanks, Joe

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hi Joe......the set up I am currently running is the best yet so think I will stop playing around and just enjoy it. Mine was running rich on 140's too. Whether the smaller jet in the middle carb makes any difference, no idea but just following advice from much more informed people than myself. Good luck and let me know how you get on please.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The option of cutting the side panel and keeping air system original definitely has a lot of merit. Love the shape of the panels in the pictures. If I ever do another build I will most likely go that way myself. That's really neat.
I was planning another build but have just bought a Mk 1 Thunderbird Sport instead and will be modding that slightly, nothing too drastic or irreversible though.

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hi Hatchie.........good luck with your build, enjoy it. Lots of ideas when you look at what others have done.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Swapping the std coils for the sticks would make lots more room under the tank of course as all that coil gubbins is replaced by just extending the 6 wires that go to the std coils to connect up with the new R6 connectors that are plugged directly into the sticks.

You would have to unravel the tape from the R6 loom and either make 3 separate lengths out of it or you can re-tape it into 1 having measured the lengths that you will need to reach each stick. There is a hard plastic corrugated pipe that runs under the tank protecting various wires. I sourced some more of that from Ebay and just ran the individual wires (re-wrapped with tape) inside those plastic conduits. I just used spade connectors to join the wires together, there have been no issues whatsoever and the bike runs very nicely indeed.
I also bought some 65mm closed rubber grommets from Ebay and cut a hole in the middle to allow the sticks to fit through them but will stop water ingress into the cylinder head recess.

I will try to put some pictures up on here if you like .... I think I have some.

It's a dead easy change only slight trouble getting the stick coil down into the middle cylinder hole past the frame but it's just awkward really, like getting the plug spanner down there. A wee bit of liquid soap eases the coil in just nicely.
If you have any pics of the stick coil arrangement I'd be very interested to see it.
Thanks, Patrick

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi Patrick....I have checked back in my pics but have no photo of the stick coils. There is really nothing to se when fitted as the wires from the existing 3 coils are just lengthen and connected to the sticks via a special Nippon Denso connector (mine came from an R6 yamaha). The sticks just look similar to the standard HT lead/plug cap when fitted in the engine. So its really about what you can't see (coils) than what you can!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Patrick....I have checked back in my pics but have no photo of the stick coils. There is really nothing to se when fitted as the wires from the existing 3 coils are just lengthen and connected to the sticks via a special Nippon Denso connector (mine came from an R6 yamaha). The sticks just look similar to the standard HT lead/plug cap when fitted in the engine. So its really about what you can't see (coils) than what you can!!!
Thanks. I've ordered a set of three stick coils from the USA. I've been looking at these leads from ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4X-YAMAHA-YZF-R6-YZF-R1-YZF-450-IGNITION-COIL-WIRE-HARNESS-LOOM-REPLACEMENT-PLUG/283428847583?hash=item41fdacffdf:g:7pMAAOSwDlBTwUXQ

which I think should do the trick.

I need to get the coils out from under the tank on my project to allow the fuel tank to fit.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts