Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got to give the bike a good test run. Built this over the winter but since then have been hampered with a shoulder operation recovery and also moving up to the Scottish Highlands in March.

The donor bike was a 93 Trident 900. I am very pleased with how she has turned out and it's a lovely thing to ride. Has lost about 30 kgs from standard and feels it too. I didn't push it during my road test as I have had brakes apart and fork legs on and off etc plus new tyres.

It's not finished yet, more to do over next winter but for now, just want to enjoy riding her.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Stuart, I can't take credit for that, a guy called Dave Andrews who works at Bill Smiths Triumph dealership in Chester did it and the idea was from my girlfriend. The pics don't show up the true artistry of Daves work though, needs to be seen in sunlight when the ghosted Triumph name can be seen from some angles on the tank....genius.

Thanks to you too Stuart as I leaned heavily on your previous work as regards the fuelling and air box. Pretty happy with how she's running.

Things still to do....want to paint the swinging arm, hugger and chain guard black and tidy up the rear brake fluid reservoir and then over winter, look at improving the suspension.

It'll keep me out of mischief ;-)

What's the latest on yours?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Very, very nice! Would love to take a close look at her in person. The modified airbox is particularly well executed, very professional looking and so much better looking than the usual easy to mount (but not so easy to tune) pods that most seem to go for.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very, very nice! Would love to take a close look at her in person. The modified airbox is particularly well executed, very professional looking and so much better looking than the usual easy to mount (but not so easy to tune) pods that most seem to go for.
Thanks RB.....yes, I wanted to ride it rather than have the carbs on and off and after hearing other peoples problems decided to keep it simple. I may have another bash at the air box but same idea. I think I will paint the aluminium plate black and just leave the brass wire gauze on show. Also will paint the swing arm, hugger, chain guard and back light bracket black next winter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi cavsp3, yes my bitsa is getting good use now the weather has improved. ;-)

That's the beauty of forums, you get support and inspiration from those that went before. I was helped immensely by what I learned from this forum!

Have you got any piccies of your bike from the left hand side? It looks like you are using CRK components yes?

I wondered if you were using their chain guard. I have it on mine, but found that I had to modify the front mounting bracket as the rear tyre was rubbing against the inside of it during spirited riding!

It caused the front chain guard bracket to fatigue and break off, so I replaced the bracket with one I fabricated that gave me a bit more wiggle room in adjusting clearances. Everything is fine now - the guard is a nicely designed piece of kit.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi cavsp3, yes my bitsa is getting good use now the weather has improved. ;-)

That's the beauty of forums, you get support and inspiration from those that went before. I was helped immensely by what I learned from this forum!

Have you got any piccies of your bike from the left hand side? It looks like you are using CRK components yes?

I wondered if you were using their chain guard. I have it on mine, but found that I had to modify the front mounting bracket as the rear tyre was rubbing against the inside of it during spirited riding!

It caused the front chain guard bracket to fatigue and break off, so I replaced the bracket with one I fabricated that gave me a bit more wiggle room in adjusting clearances. Everything is fine now - the guard is a nicely designed piece of kit.
You're spot on Stuart, yes I have used the CRK components and am using the chain guard but haven't noticed any problems with fouling the tyre. Having said that, I've not done any 'spirited riding, as yet as my ride was purely to test the bike and ensure that everything I had done was working properly, brakes, ignition, forks etc. Also had brand new tyres fitted...hence the embarrassingly wide chicken strips!!!
Also fitted coil sticks from a 650 Daytona and got rid of that whole slew of coils under the tank. Even though you don't see them, they annoyed me whenever I take the tanks off these bikes, terrible design. Can't fault them at all, so easy to fit and wire up to.

I would like to build one like yours too using the Classic tank. Looks great. Big problem for me now is the small CRK tank size of 11 litres. I've just moved to the Highlands. My rides will have to be planned to ensure I can reach petrol stations.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I suppose my chain guard issue might possibly be tyre-choice related. I'm using a Pirelli Diablo Rosso II 180/55 on the rear at the moment. What are you using?

I'm interested to hear you've done the coil stick mod. That's something I was thinking of doing this year. Any hurdles I need to be aware of?

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I suppose my chain guard issue might possibly be tyre-choice related. I'm using a Pirelli Diablo Rosso II 180/55 on the rear at the moment. What are you using?

I'm interested to hear you've done the coil stick mod. That's something I was thinking of doing this year. Any hurdles I need to be aware of?
Hi Stuart.......I am running the standard wheels and tyre sizes, so 160/60/18 on the back, Bridgestone 023. That may explain the difference then and why the guard fouls your tyre.

As for the stick coils, dead easy change. using the coils off a 1600 Thunderbird or tt600, daytona 600/650 or Speed 4 and I used the connectors from a yAmaha R6 which are an exact fit to the coils. This was suggested by Greg96brg from this Forum as Yamaha use a separate ignition harness that connects to their main harness whereas the specified Triumph harnesses all coma as one so you have to buy the whole harness just for the connectors. I picked up the Yamaha harness on Ebay for £15 and the coils were £60 for 4. I also sourced some large grommets and cut a hole in the top of the cap so that they fitted around the coil and sealed the hole in the cam cover to prevent water ingress.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Darin,

The tank, seat unit and rear subframe come as a kit. www.caferacerkits.co.uk and are specifically made to fit the early Hinckley 900 and 1200 bikes, Tridents, Trophys and Daytonas.

·
Registered
376 Posts
With these kinds of air boxes, what happens if you get caught in the rain?

Then you have water injection! ;)

Nice build. I love the overall look.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
68 Posts
Your cafe racer is the Mutt's Nutz. Very impressed.

I'm new to Sprint ownership and fascinated by the whole air-box saga. Any useful links to your solution? I'm normally bone idle but this might end up driving me into R & D

·
Registered
116 Posts
... As for the stick coils, dead easy change. using the coils off a 1600 Thunderbird or tt600, daytona 600/650 or Speed 4 and I used the connectors from a yAmaha R6 which are an exact fit to the coils. This was suggested by Greg96brg from this Forum as Yamaha use a separate ignition harness that connects to their main harness whereas the specified Triumph harnesses all coma as one so you have to buy the whole harness just for the connectors. I picked up the Yamaha harness on Ebay for £15 and the coils were £60 for 4. I also sourced some large grommets and cut a hole in the top of the cap so that they fitted around the coil and sealed the hole in the cam cover to prevent water ingress ...
Any more details for this? If it does away with the coils and saves a bit of space under the tank it might be useful for fitting the Thunderbird tank? I have looked at the R6 wiring loom and there are a few about on e-Bay, but it obviously needs a bit of an update to fit?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Any more details for this? If it does away with the coils and saves a bit of space under the tank it might be useful for fitting the Thunderbird tank? I have looked at the R6 wiring loom and there are a few about on e-Bay, but it obviously needs a bit of an update to fit?

Thanks.
Swapping the std coils for the sticks would make lots more room under the tank of course as all that coil gubbins is replaced by just extending the 6 wires that go to the std coils to connect up with the new R6 connectors that are plugged directly into the sticks.

You would have to unravel the tape from the R6 loom and either make 3 separate lengths out of it or you can re-tape it into 1 having measured the lengths that you will need to reach each stick. There is a hard plastic corrugated pipe that runs under the tank protecting various wires. I sourced some more of that from Ebay and just ran the individual wires (re-wrapped with tape) inside those plastic conduits. I just used spade connectors to join the wires together, there have been no issues whatsoever and the bike runs very nicely indeed.
I also bought some 65mm closed rubber grommets from Ebay and cut a hole in the middle to allow the sticks to fit through them but will stop water ingress into the cylinder head recess.

I will try to put some pictures up on here if you like .... I think I have some.

It's a dead easy change only slight trouble getting the stick coil down into the middle cylinder hole past the frame but it's just awkward really, like getting the plug spanner down there. A wee bit of liquid soap eases the coil in just nicely.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your cafe racer is the Mutt's Nutz. Very impressed.

I'm new to Sprint ownership and fascinated by the whole air-box saga. Any useful links to your solution? I'm normally bone idle but this might end up driving me into R & D
Cheers Steve, glad you like, it was pretty easy to do and I enjoyed doing it plus having something a bit different.

As for the air box saga....... much has been written in this forum about it, some say don't touch it, leave well alone and others have changed it with varying degrees of success. I appreciate the argument that Triumph designers know much much more about air intake flow etc than I ever will but it is also true to say that much of what is engineered into bikes/cars etc has a lot to do with emissions which is something that doesn't particularly concern me. If the good old US of A has decreed that it doesn't give a tuppeny ****e about such things then my lil old 900cc Trident certainly won't make any difference to global warming.

I have heeded the advice of what I have read on here and elsewhere and gone down a half way house route. Obviously some of the air box system had to go due to the new look of the bike (secondary air boxes and snorkels) but I decided to retain the primary air box and filter (K&N) and modify that in the hope of bypassing the issues with pods that Mikuni carbs seem to have on these bikes. This was my first attempt and seems to be successful from a performance point of view as the bike runs very nicely albeit a tad rich but that just requires me to drop down a main jet size. It's all a bit trial and error. On reflexion, I think air box Mk 2 when I get round to it next winter will look a lot better than my first attempt but will also be on the same principle of a cut down primary box.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts