Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas,
Picked up a '98 T509 in a state of shambles (mostly cosmetic and some mild neglect...barely ridden, that is). I'll be putting the thing back together here in the coming weeks. I've got a good feel for what I'm up against. Pretty sure 4th gear's OK, and the starter seems to be working fine. Had her going for about 10 seconds before she stopped...had fouled all three plugs with the remaining crappy gas in the tank. I've been tearing her down ever since. I figure if I've gotten down to the plugs, I may as well just check the valves...we'll see where it goes from there.

Question: do these old triples normally sound like a tractor with valve cover full of marbles? I was relieved to have the thing shut itself down with fouled plugs...thought maybe some little monsters were going to come out the left side of the motor. :???: I've owned some noisy-motored bikes in my time, but this one's something different.
Cheers!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
On 2007-03-08 23:23, Helmet_Hair wrote:

Question: do these old triples normally sound like a tractor with valve cover full of marbles? ... I've owned some noisy-motored bikes in my time, but this one's something different.
First things first: You're not the first person to use the "Tractor with a valve cover full of marbles" metaphor. These engines are really noisy. As the valves wear they actually get quieter! (Other comments refer to a "Diesel fishing boat, pulling away from the dock.)

Secondly, if you're into it that far I think you're smart to check the valve clearances. Checking the clearances is a no brainer, but changing out the shims can be a learning experience. Once learned it's a piece of cake.

Thirdly, where in the Pacific Northwest are you?

Have fun with that thing.

Crash

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Crash. I'm becoming more at ease with this bike's quirks as I get to know it. I'm up in Seattle. My family lives down in your neck of the woods.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts