Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past four days here in Ohio have been beautiful. One of my RAT Pack riding buddies(Brian) and I decided to take advantage of it. I put a call out on our Pack's message board, but it turned out to be just us two Sprinters. We met at a McDonald's and headed into the rolling hills of southern Ohio. One of our goals was to find an elusive town called Knockemstiff. It's pretty much in the middle of nowhere. We then headed to Pike Lake. A small underused state park. Which presented itself with a great photo op. We will be lucky to have another weekend like we've had here. But I hope for at least one more.
Rick

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nice photos! Better than some I've seen for the Triumph photo shoots. That's what the weather you're having?....arrrggghhhh....we got a storm system coming through. Heavy rains with snow up north as low as 2,000 ft level. Ride another day.

·
Premium Member
12,708 Posts
Damm - I hate Calgary!!!! It's minus fricken 20 this weekend. No chance of a ride in sight until the weather breaks - could be next August with any luck :(

Nice bikes - nice photos.

Superstock - Just as a matter of interest - when riding with the two sprint models do you notice any difference? Is the new sprint always ahead? Does it corner any quicker etc?

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
triumph_955_st as the others said, great photos and sounds like a good ride!
haggis95, I've got the 05/06 and while I think it's a touch faster due to the improved torque and power, any speed difference is really down to the rider. There's just not that much difference between modern bikes of any brand - they're all very capable and the riders make what difference there is.

I know a guy that can overtake Ducati 916's on the outside on an old GS1000 with the 3.5" rear tyre.... There's no way you'd think that by looking at him or the bike - but he's an ex racer and knows what he's doing.

Russ.

·
Registered
561 Posts
triumph_955_st
great photos, thank you for sharing them with us.

TTFN The Tankman
:upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Those are some incredible photo`s, looks like you guys had a blast! The weather here in Texas permits year round riding,but our scenery just isn`t like that!!!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like you all need to visit Ohio. That even sounds odd......However, pick a backroad in southern Ohio and enjoy. Myself or one of our Pack members would gladly show anyone around.

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Great pics triumph_955_st.

Knockemstiff sounds like a lovely place to visit.. would you want to live there though? :-D

How do the 2 Sprints compare side by side in a shoot out?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brian and I both seem to ride at the same level. It seems to me that the bikes are very comparable. "Sometimes" :wink: on an open stretch we will open them up. I think the 1050's power allows it to pull ahead slightly. Then it appears that they tend to equal out up top. I rode his 1050 one time and I definitely liked the power train better than my 955. It was smoother and the transmission even felt better. Either Sprint is the way to go, regardless of the generation. As Ruscook said, "any speed difference is really down to the rider". To anyone that says bad things about the Sprints.......seek therapy.

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
On 2006-11-27 01:55, ruscook wrote:
Obvious next question - how did the town/locality get that name?

Russ

good question Russ - and is it just me? - but those poles holding up the sign look rather phallic?

I'm sure there will be an interesting explanation.
That 3rd photo with the 2 Sprints is very good - it wouldnt look out of place in a magazine.

Grant :cool:

[ This message was edited by: iceman on 2006-11-27 02:50 ]

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Rick,

Your '04 looks awesome. Really like the mirrors. What are they off of? The under seat exhaust looks great. I had an '01 and I really liked it. I should have kept it. It was plenty of bike for me.

Take it easy

Aaron :-D

·
Registered
929 Posts
haha

your so close to a photo I took years ago...
check this out. he's standing on a dock in the background too.
I just photoshopped some feet onto the fender

[ This message was edited by: bakwheeltango on 2006-11-27 13:09 ]

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
Nice pictures. You sure you didn't take those in Alabama. We have been and still are enjoying a few days in the seventies. Rode to work today and will ride again tomorrow.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmm.......

This morning before work I had posted the whole story on how the town got it's name. And added more pictures of the day on here. Then someone else asked if I had the full size pictures and I replied that I would put them in my album tonight...........What happened to all the posts?????
Anyway I've got to go right now. I will be back on later this evening to re-post what I posted this morning and put the full size pictures in my album... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

R

·
0 Posts
I posted a few comments earlier today as well, and they didn't show. There were several 'errors' listed on the web site, so I think they had some technical difficulties! Please post the pics again however, the others are so beautiful I can't wait to see more.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The town of Knockemstiff got it's name from 2 possible ways.
1: A woman who asked a preacher how she could get her cheating husband to stay home. "Knockemstiff," the preacher replied.

2: Another tradition says the community was named for the kick of its moonshine and the fighting ability of its toughs.

Brian was telling me about this house just up the road from this town. He said you have got to see the view they have. So off we went. We went up this hill and stopped out in the road. As we were standing there talking a guy named Brandon came out to talk to us. We said that we were just admiring the view they had. He told us to come on over and look out their deck. What could we do....

And here are more bike pics.

And here is an odd tree falling.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts