Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The night before turned into an unexpected party at my place...

4 Tequila shots and 5 beer (not too much but enough to feel it a bit the next morning) Patron is evil! and so is my buddy Alex!
he pours booze into my glass when I'm not looking. I woke up a little rough and sucked back a coffee and headed out to meet the boys.

Trip Report:

7-8 said they were coming.... on all different kinds of bikes...

the weather looked like it might get wet....
as the expected thundershowers hadn't happened the night before as reported... welcome to the west coast!

but 3 riders still went.... and it ended up being 3 Triumphs.
'99 Sprint 955 (known as Croak here on Rat.net) , my '06 Sprint 1050 and a Michael's new Daytona 675 leading the charge.

we held a great pace thru the northern cascades
nothing stupid in the straights and sped up for the bends.
a small wheelie for a couple of teens requesting one on a clear back road along the skagit river hwy.

we stopped half way to gas up and were warned by some other riders that thundershowers were happening on the other side of the pass. we paid no attention.

no rain!! other then a couple of drops not enough to even feel. awesome ride!

roads were stellar! just some rocks on the road here and there but easy to spot.
we saw acouple of deer... Winthrop is known as the capital for deer deaths!
oh yeah then... that deer!!:mad:

so the 675 pulls out to pass a hummer (straight road- legal pass) mr deer ******* jumps out from the left side (we're doing about 70 mph) and runs across their path they both brake! mr Deer gets by.... :D
while that's happening (I'm second to pass) and saw the deer so I don't pass! thinking I'll use the hummer for protection... dude (croak) behind me passes me and the hummer! it got ugly because the hummer braked hard and swerved. I held back waiting for the deer speed bump!

Croak never even saw that deer! and he found about the deer at the next stop! LOL

lesson to be learned: wait your turn to pass! there maybe a good reason not to pass.... like a deer! lol :eek:

Honestly, I forgot how great that ride is. I want to plan another one in a few weeks.

Washington has amazing roads! the roads are made of better material then what we have cracking and potholing up here in bc.

I also forgot how great the Sprint (incredible!!) at speed... 35mph bends were devoured with ease at over 100mph and I wasn't even pushing. That bike really wakes up and is so so smooth. I had forgotten - it's been awhile since we have done it.

I was really tired when I got home. serves me right for boozing the night before.
I have not partied like that before a ride won't be doing it again. Thank god for those 5hr energy drinks in the small red bottle ... an absolute life saver! I was on the ball the whole ride! lol

here's a link to the route and my picts.

http://www.mapquest.com/mq/6-2jGvPKh3Wm6H_S25

http://picasaweb.google.ca/bakwheeltango/Cascades_June14_09#

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Sounds like a great ride.

Dude.....you need a camcorder! That way the rest of us can enjoy it.

---Charlie

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a great ride.

Dude.....you need a camcorder! That way the rest of us can enjoy it.

---Charlie
lol you mean evidence? no thanks!

actually during lunch that day...
Mr. 675 was talking and I started asking him how fast he's gone... he didn't know I was taping him. lol we all have a good laugh and then it got deleted. I'm not on youtube anymore either. :eek:

:)

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Nah, it's not evidence :rolleyes:

But I really do enjoy watching videos taken on bikes in the twisties....with and without speed.

But I understand.......what happened in the Cascades stays in the Cascades. :YellowWink:

---Charlie

·
Registered
363 Posts
Is there a better place in the world to ride other than the Pacific Northwest? Thanks for sharing. Brings back some memories of the region and rides with the crew of vrombc when they were active.
Good to hear you all survived the deer scare!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there a better place in the world to ride other than the Pacific Northwest? Thanks for sharing. Brings back some memories of the region and rides with the crew of vrombc when they were active.
Good to hear you all survived the deer scare!
here's another ride we did last year around the Pacific Northwest area. it was 2460kms in 4 days. I routed the whole trip from the Destination Hwys Washington book. We are doing it again this Aug 21-24

http://picasaweb.google.ca/bakwheeltango/Washington_Ride#

·
Registered
17 Posts
Must have just missed you!

I also did the North Cascades (Hwy 20) loop yesterday went over top at 10:00AM, came back over Stevens Pass (Hwy 2). Saw a couple of deer but no excitment and no rain. We put in 450 miles with no driving awards. Saw a couple of 600cc sport bike riders go by, passing like crazy. We passed them a couple of miles later (they were getting awards). I felt bad for them, but was glad that it wasn't me. What a great road/ride.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus

Is there a better place in the world to ride other than the Pacific Northwest?
Northern California, where I grew up and learned to ride, is WAY better than Washington, where I now live. So many roads, so little rain. I had a job that let me out at 3:00 pm, so every afternoon I headed up into the Santa Cruz mountains before dinner. Never got tired of those twisty, redwood-cloaked roads.

Washington has some very good roads, but there are not many, and it usually takes a while to get to them. And it rains a lot on the West side.

Haven't ridden in Oregon, but this summer we're going down central Oregon, then over on the Klamath River in California. Should be fun, if a bit warm.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Northern California, where I grew up and learned to ride, is WAY better than Washington, where I now live. So many roads, so little rain. I had a job that let me out at 3:00 pm, so every afternoon I headed up into the Santa Cruz mountains before dinner. Never got tired of those twisty, redwood-cloaked roads.
as soon as my kids are a little older and everyone doesn't freak out when I'm gone on my bike for more then 3-4 days northern cal is my first trip. :D:D:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts