Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
its not my thing, but I don't think it looks bad.

What I will say is that because the bike is black and its such a bright tank pad... you look at the tank pad first, then the bike... not sure if this is what you want from people when they are checkin out your ride...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tank Pad

Definate no - you wouldn't be asking for a second opinion if you thought it went well on a black bike.
If you have doubts then remove it - i would!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the carbon fibre pad on my jet black, but I have since ordered the TechSpec snakeskin grips too, like yours. I would have put on that tank pad if I'd had it first.

I kinda like the union jack look and it is unique, but I guess you have to ride with it for a while to be sure.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I have not decided wether I like it or not. I like the colors and the Union Jack theme. I've not had a reason to think I need a tank pad yet - I'm not scratching mine up yet. Until I scratch it, I won't add one.

Neanderthal

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well. I've got a nice little scratch hidden under that oval sticker from my wife :rolleyes:

The Tech-Specs pad didn't go low enough and just looked stupid moved down. This is the 1st 3 peice one i've run by and it gets low enough. Too bad it looks rediculous on the bike.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well my two cents...I think it looks sharp. I was looking at the same tank pad for my graphite R. I think the same company makes the same one in gray. You can still see the Union Jack but it might be a little more subtle if that is too your likening.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the black carbon fibre protector on my black street triple but I don't mind the union jack one at all. If I was you I would keep it on and stop worrying about what other people think.

Jewel :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was out on it for a little while last night while we got a break in the weather and looking at the whole bike with it doesn't look all that bad as a package.

I'm not sure. It may just stay until I get something better. It is keeping my tank from getting scratched after all :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
Triumph pad with Tech-Spec grip pads. The flash makes the pad stand-out but in normal light it disappears in the black tank which is why I bought it.

I did not like the shape of the Tech Spec grip pads so I re-cut them (they are meant for the Daytona and did not quite follow the seat on the ST).
I did not like the way the Triumph pad was glued to the tank and let dirt collect in there either so I cut my own adhesive instead.
I left the bottom open for moisture to evacuate, but sealed the top and sides.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Gel seat advantages?

I'm just wondering why people use the side pads on their tank - and I know quite a few comments have been made about marking the side of the tank with your knees - so I wonder whether the gel seat offers the advantage of moving less on the saddle - as I cleaned my R with gel seat today and noticed no marks on the tank sides:)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The gel seat doesn't stop your thighs from sliding up the tank (I just installed a Gel-Seat on my bike) and the tank grips are still well used.

I noticed the use of the grips mostly in the relieved pressure in my wrists and better body (my body) stability it turns because before I put them on if I was leaning really hard while griping the tank with my legs my inner thigh would really be trying to come over the top edge of the tank.

I think they're the best thing I've done to my bike with the gel seat a close 2nd.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey Aaron, Now there's the thing I can relate to: pressure on wrists - although I haven't noticed anything else regarding moving around the tank too much, I do feel my wrists after a while - picture me pondering:huh:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It helped me a TON. I used to start to feel the pressure just after 45 minutes or so. I've spent HOURS now riding with out feeling pressure.

What really made the cake was a set of gel grips. I noticed after installing the tank grips that after many hours on the bike my arms would feel like they've been taking a steady current of electricity for hours. Adding gel grips along with the tank grips has all but completely gotten rid of arm discomfort on the Striple.:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the input Aaron, just one last question - how tall are you? I'm only 5'6", and don't have the same part of my legs touching the tank, in fact only my knees really, and that ties in nicely with comfortable riding, on the whole:)

My heated grips are a bit thicker thatn the originals I think, and so maybe that's helping a little too, as I don't get the same electric sensation as you - mind you, can't say that I've yet has time to spend "many hours" on my StripleR :(

Thanks again, :beerchug:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts