Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Three weeks ago I was riding and a yellow jacket hit me in the neck. I was stung twice before getting the little sucker out of my shirt. The sting hurt a lot less than a bee sting, but it still is a red lump on my neck. It no longer inches, but it looks like a pimple and is rather embarrassing. How long do these things take to heal up?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I think it took about a week for mine when one flew in my jacket. It sucks when your doing 70mph and can't do anything about it till you get pulled over

·
Premium Member
4,023 Posts
Try it when you're allergic.....Luckily I've ever been stung on the bike...

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Never ride in ripped jeans. Long time ago when I was a mere 18 year old youth I was riding my customised Honda 125 with stepped seat and 6 inch over forks! easy rider or what? with a girl I wanted to impress on the back. Anyway there was I trying to be a cool dude when a wasp(yellow jacket) flew up me trouser leg through the rip in the Knee and proceeded to sting me on the bollocks!!!! Needless to say I came to an abrupt halt. Dropped the bike and the lady unceremoniously on the ground and them my trousers by the road, in a desperate attempt to get rid of the wasp. Needless to say the object of my desires wasn't that impressed and I wasn't up to anything much as me bollocks swelled a tad thanks to Mr Jasper's (Brit slang for a wasp's) stinging ways.:eek:

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Once while riding Ortega Highway I have a Yellow Jacket fly into my jacket and proceeded to sting me 4 times in quick succession on a curve on the edge of a cliff. I swatted myself so hard to kill the damn bug I was swerving all over the road trying to kill it and breath and pull over without trying to fly a couple of thousand feet down the cliff.

Yeah, my stuff stays zipped now!

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
A buddy on a ride got it in the top lip....We called him Homer for the rest of the weekend. He now wears a full face helmet.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
I got bit on the neck this summer. I felt this strange, burning sensation on my neck and looked in the mirror only to find a bee humping my neck.

Luckily, I'm not allergic to bee stings. The area around the sting felt weird for a few days afterward, though.

·
Registered
5,138 Posts
It's one of the rights of passage on a bike. The "park the bike by the side of the road, rip your jacket off, stomp the helloutta it to kiil the bug" ritual. I've done this at lest once I can remember off hand.

·
Premium Member
3,507 Posts
Try it sometime with a hornet.:eek:
I did at the Dragon Raid. We were riding the Cherohala Skyway and a white-faced hornet hit me in the neck. I thought she bounced off until about 5 minutes later she started stinging me right in the back of the neck. We stopped at Tellico Kats and I took off my jacket and there she was still alive hanging on to the hook loop. She was immediately dispatched for her violation.

Hornets sting like a sonofabitch, but I am not allergic and the pain dissipates quickly. I had a swollen red splotch for about a week.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Try it when you're allergic.....Luckily I've ever been stung on the bike...
I am allergic to honey bees, turns out the yellow jacket did not bother me. I did freak because my epi-pen was 5 miles away when I was stung. I considered calling 911 right away and/or driving to nearest fire station. But as I debated all of that the typical allergic response did not come. So I cautiously continued on, keeping track of where the nearest paramedic/hospital, etc would be if needed.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Christ yer all so serious I thought my tale of caution would have you rolling in the aisles not warning us to carry medi kits and make poultices out of meat!

·
Banned
1,522 Posts
Christ yer all so serious I thought my tale of caution would have you rolling in the aisles not warning us to carry medi kits and make poultices out of meat!
Going into shock due to an allergic reaction from a Bee, Hornet, Wasp or other nasty flying potentially poisonous critter sting is no joking matter as the person who is highly allergic could die with in minutes if not treated by others professionally or by themselves with their Pocket Injection Kit that those of the most serious of this condition carry with them 24/7.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/severe_allergic_reaction_anaphylactic_shock/article_em.htm

1 - 20 of 29 Posts