Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a sport tourer type bike and had the opportunity to test ride a yamaha fz6 while waiting for my state inspection to be done on my Triumph SM 2k5.

Observations:
1) Engine was VERY buzzy.
2) The engine seemed to run VERY high (rpm) which is probably normal but coming from a twin I always felt like I should be shifting.
3) I felt like I was riding on top of the bike not in the bike...if that makes sense.
4) I can't imagine riding an fz6 because the engine buzz would drive me crazy!

Questions:
How is the fz6 compared to the ST? Does it also run at a very high rpm like the fz6? Is the engine buzzy? Finally, the bigee, do you feel like you are riding on top of an ST or in the ST?

thanks!

Kevin...

·
Registered
523 Posts
I can not do a direct comparison to the fz6, but I do have a couple of friends with 600 CC bikes. Yes, with the 600 you have to wind the rpm's up to get the juice flowing. With the sprint you don't have to do that, very good power midrange at 4000-5000rpm. No engine buzz more of a growl. I would say that my ST I sit into the bike, I feel like I am one with the bike most of the time.

Hope this helps out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, I can make a direct comparison for you. I sold my FZ6 and purchased my Sprint ST. I agree the FZ6 was a very buzzy motor, the Sprint makes it's power at a much lower RPM and I think it will be more in line with the twins you are used to. I also have a Harley, so I know exactly what your talking about. Buy the Sprint, you'll be happy :-D

·
Premium Member
24,401 Posts
schwartzkm,
one of my two regular riding buddies has a Fazer 600. I have ridden it several times.

It is chaulk and cheese with a Sprint.

As with all 600 fours that originate modern sports bikes, it is a potent mill that spins very freely but to ride fast you will be dancing on the gear lever, very little torque. It has a stunning top end rpm performance for a little 600 as they mostly do these days.

The Sprint has an incredibly smooth engine through out the rev range and will pull from 2000rpm it has a sweet spot from 5000rpm onwards.

The Sprint has a very healthy dollip of torque everywhere. Nothing at all like a Fazer.

The Sprint you more sit into rather than on top of and the Sprint has a more leaning forward stretch to the bars than the FZ6.

cheers,
Davem :cool:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The Sprint has an incredibly smooth engine through out the rev range and will pull from 2000rpm it has a sweet spot from 5000rpm onwards.

The Sprint has a very healthy dollop of torque everywhere.
Once you've experienced this WIDE and USABLE power band I don't know how you could ever go back. It's a gem of a motor and make the riding experience whatever you want. You can cane it and you will be going MUCH FASTER that you would have thought or you can loaf it along in cruise mode and burn up the miles in comfort while always having the 6000+ rpm power always there to tap. Can you tell I think there is no better REAL WORLD bike engine. THIS motor is what almost everyone here fell in love with on the forum be it in Sprint, RS, or Speed 3 flavor. They are all decent handling bikes in their own right, but it's the 955i motor that give this bike it's soul and keeps you wanting more seat time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts