Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
looking to see if anyone has riden the Yamaha FJR and compared the two, more importantly the ride (actually the knee) position of this Yamaha.

Things are looking like I will have to sell my ST due to the knee pain as its getting worst after each ride. Recently I did the Snowy Ride (best ride ever) and I have been back over a week and still my knees pain as much as they did on the ride. Can't even think of going near my bike its that painful

I'm back at the Docs this week to get some test done (scan etc) and if, "if" I have to sell the ST I would prefer to stay away from scooters or cruziers (both them same in my books, all looks no go)

Anyway, if your riden one I would love to know your thoughts

Cheers
Poddy

·
Registered
247 Posts
it is a very good bike too. the knee position is more relaxed but you will have to see if "your knee" can handle it too. smooth power, it does not seem to pull as violently as the sprint, yet it will pull away from the sprint in a straight line. In the tight curves, you can tell it has more weight and less lean angle. you really have to push the bars to get it to lean, and hold more pressure on the bars to keep it over, than the sprint. some of the 06 models had a problem with the ECU and altitude changes (surging issues). Mama Yamaha might have a fix for it already. If I rode more tour, than sport; it is the bike I would have (or C14). it is a highly ranked bike among the "iron butts". I dont think anyone trading a FJR for a sprint is worng, nor a Sprint for a FJR. it is all in what floats your boat.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
looking to see if anyone has riden the Yamaha FJR and compared the two, more importantly the ride (actually the knee) position of this Yamaha.
My 05 FJR was a comfortable bike, and should offer less knee pain than the Sprint due to it's more relaxed ergonomics.

It's a good touring bike with a comfortable stock seat, a protective fairing, a lousy adjustable stock
screen ( replaced mine with a "Rifle" ) and more upright riding position than the Sprint.

It's got a heavy / vague feel in the twisties compared to the quick and nimble Sprint. It was
impossible to get on or off the throttle without it jerking about. Some say it was the throttle,
some say the shaft drive. I've heard that later models are improved in this regard.

Below are pics of my former FJR and my current Sprint on tour this summer. The guy who bought
my FJR loves it. He formerly had a 97 Connie. I sold the FJR after getting the Sprint.

Test ride an FJR before deciding.... Your results may vary.

Regards, Tom

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I thought the FJR felt like a yacht. When I got off the FJR and went to got on my Sprint, I almost threw the Sprint over, it felt so much lighter.

Big power, but as said above, it doesn't feel quicker.

Ergoes were very similar. Your knees may not like the FJR, either.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Poddy have you thought about the Tiger 1050?

A bit tall, but you get used to that and at 5'10" (178cm) I can get both feet flat on the ground. The Tiger is 12kg lighter than the Sprint (198 vs 210kg) , has great all round ergos, the same performance, a great comfortable seat and the most relaxed riding position I've ever had on a bike. And best of all you still get a 1050 Triple motor :D

Russ

·
Registered
764 Posts
+1 with Russ

Adventurer/tourers usually have plenty of leg room compared to the Sprint. Certainly worth considering.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
What CO hwy is this in the pics?
Pic 1 is between Independence Pass and Aspen. Pics 2 and 3 are
along the million dollar hwy between Ouray and Silverton.

Tom

·
Registered
764 Posts
+1 with Russ

Adventurer/tourers usually have plenty of leg room compared to the Sprint. Certainly worth considering.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Hey Poddy,
have you thought about having a custom foot rest and shifter made to lesson the knee strain? I cant imagine it'd be to difficult or expensive to have a machine shop CNC you a set. I think this would save a little cash too.

·
Registered
764 Posts
There are also footpeg lowering kits available for the sprint that will give you another 50mm of leg space. See the link below, I would hate to see you have to give up the Sprint for an FJR if you didn't have to.

http://www.whaccessories.com/FootPegLoweringKit.htm

Hope this helps in the decision making process.
I think Poddy would end up with the ground clearance of a Harley if he did that mod. His bike has already been lowered.:eek:

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
The new Tiger is really a great comfort to us old fogeys with bad knees etc-I love mine and I coud not ride my Speedtriple for more than a half hour or so with out resting --can you see an artificial knee later on maybe??

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thax for the info and input.

not surprised by the comments on the weight and handling of the FJR although I am yet to (or be able too) ride one.

Ralphus is right, if I bought the lowering begs for the ST it may as well be a Harley as I have had it lowered which by virtue of doing this also negates considering a Tiger 1050 as that's higher than the ST.

Well, I 'll find out more this week but really would hate to give up the Sprint or touring for that matter - If its got ot be a crusier then I would most likely just stop riding as the fun would be gone.

All this because the 80 yr old didn't see me when he hit me last year -very annoying

Cheers
Poddy

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sorry to hear about your knee pain Poddy.
you might have to try a few bikes on a long test ride to find one that
is OK for you......I know they are not the prettiest of bikes but maybe
try a BM R1200GS....my mate has one and it goes so well and handles
so well....and the brakes are so much better then my Sprint.

I love my Sprint.....but the new 1200GS is a great all rounder.

gsbeamer.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Poddy have you thought about the Tiger 1050?

A bit tall, but you get used to that and at 5'10" (178cm) I can get both feet flat on the ground. The Tiger is 12kg lighter than the Sprint (198 vs 210kg) , has great all round ergos, the same performance, a great comfortable seat and the most relaxed riding position I've ever had on a bike. And best of all you still get a 1050 Triple motor :D

Russ
Russ..ya missed this one - the new Tiger does NOT have the same performance. The Sprint is much MUCH more zoomy than the Tiger. More Torque and more Hp (I think it is over 10 ponies)

I own a Sprint and rode a Tiger 1050 back to back - the Sprint has a much better mill....same triple config...but pulled way more.

In fact, I was bummed - I really did want the Tiger, but the lack of wind management and the less hp/torque values allowed me to keep my Sprint.

Happy/Content.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sorry to hear about your knee pain Poddy.
you might have to try a few bikes on a long test ride to find one that
is OK for you......I know they are not the prettiest of bikes but maybe
try a BM R1200GS....my mate has one and it goes so well and handles
so well....and the brakes are so much better then my Sprint.

I love my Sprint.....but the new 1200GS is a great all rounder.

gsbeamer.

R1200 GS/ADV will be my next bike - LOVE that bike.!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, the BM 1200GS is a comfortable bike, I sat on one today and felt no pain till I was told the price - $30,000AUD on the road with a full kit.

It is fuggly without a doubt but on the Snowy ride I was behind one on some tight bits and we both went head to head in VERY extreme spirited riding and I was impressed with the handling of his bike, not to mention his riding ability.

Cheers
Poddy

·
Registered
163 Posts
30 grand.....my mate paid 23,000 for the ABS, and about 800 for the plastic panniers
and I think about 400 for a top box....12 months ago, but it is only the GS
not the GS/adventure.....have they gone up that much in 12 months.
in that case I don't see myself ever having one, looks like my 10 year old
and very faithful R1100GS will have to do me for another 10 years.
Good luck with finding something.

gsbeamer.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts