Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

xmas self-gift:

2K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  24gt 
#1 ·
ok, so i don't have any family. -- (3 people is it)
so i thought, what the heck, i'll buy my own xmas gift this year!

last night i finally purchased my fender eliminator kit from newspeed3 - the MotoFab kit! and some small bolt on signals from bike night.
the hardest part now is waiting for them to get here!!

i know one of you has installed the lights, and was wondering how hard it was to do??
other than that, i just had to share the excitement of my bike getting a new butt!

weeeee.

#2 ·
Congrats. I do have a family so my new parts are few and far between. I had to make my bike wish list available for Christmas. Will check things off after Christmas day. Currently squirrelling money away when i can for the exhaust i will piss her off with in the spring. :-D

#3 ·
On 2006-12-10 11:06, zooplancton wrote:
last night i finally purchased my fender eliminator kit from newspeed3 - the MotoFab kit! and some small bolt on signals from bike night.
i just had to share the excitement of my bike getting a new butt!

weeeee.
i always love getting new ass to tap,,,errrr drill and tap i mean.

or.... you could get a drill, some sheet aluminum and a hacksaw, and make your own motofab kit for roughly 4 dollers, tools not included, plus, you'll feel better about it. just a suggestion, but i feel you about the chrismas thing,,, my gift is that for one day only lonely drunks and i will be on the road, even cops don't care on christmas

#4 ·
I can relate.

I spend every Christmas going on a bike ride as a way to spend the day. I become the lonely drunk afterwards. This year while drinking, I'll work on modifying the appear of my bike's butt. I only do this becuase the strip clubs are closed that day.

Yesterday I ordered my Xmas present, a M4 exhaust (titanium).

#6 ·
The bike runs great. Before having the Triumphs I had a '02 Victory cruiser. I used to have some problems with that. It ran rich, and would pop a lot on decel. The cheap fix was new spark plugs every 4,000 miles. They could never quite get the map right. With the triples they have also run a little rich. I could smell it around town every once in a while. Since I put in a K&N, things have been nothing short of perfectly smooth, especially when the temps drop down to between 30-40F. There's noticeable improvement on throttle response with the cool air. The only thing wrong with the bike is the operator's limited ability to not use the bike's potential.

I have noticed that as I went down in elevation on a previous trip, fuel economy got progessively worse. I run a pretty true 45-47 mpg regardless of whether or not I get on the gas. Around 800 feet, I was getting closer to 38-40 mpg.

I'm a bit concerned about how the new exhaust will affect performance, but tekmoe says good things so I'm not worried. :razz:

#7 ·
i think you could only help your bike with a new performance exhaust. - especially in colorado! the air cleaner and exhaust are musts up there. did to all of my bikes and they sang, even at 12,000 feet. opening up the breathing is key.

watch that gravel out there man.

#10 ·
Look at that! You guys are right down the street from each other. lol

Small World.

Zoo, the lights are easy. Follow the great instructions that come with the MotoFab Kit.

You'll need to drop the undertail and just cut off your stock blinkers (leaving as much extra wiring as possible) and wire them up. Same thing with the license plate light.

Make sure you got your pos/neg right before soldering them in, if that's what you choose to do.

JOHN

#12 ·
On 2006-12-10 18:29, graciejohn2 wrote:
Look at that! You guys are right down the street from each other. lol

Small World.

Zoo, the lights are easy. Follow the great instructions that come with the MotoFab Kit.

You'll need to drop the undertail and just cut off your stock blinkers (leaving as much extra wiring as possible) and wire them up. Same thing with the license plate light.

Make sure you got your pos/neg right before soldering them in, if that's what you choose to do.

JOHN
thanks gracie. i get weird about electronics as i failed that class in HS being a punk ass...
sounds pretty simple though.
looking forward to my new rear!! (and wet back!) :-D
-b

#13 ·
hey 24gt,

where are you riding your crf at?
there is a great jeep road just before you get to brekenridge - i can't remember the name, but it takes you to the top of the mountain there. we used to call it montezuma's run.
it's super fun! and fun trying to keep your bike under your ass at the last hill climb that's made up of shale. totally crazy. there's like a golf course sign at the entrance of the road off the main highway leading into brek'.
go check it out sometime. -- you can drop down the other side and ride through this weird hippy commune. takes you right back to "deliverance".

cheers,
-b

#14 ·
Haven't rode the CRF for 6 months now. I found a pond and thought hey i can ride through that. Now for most people common sense would have kicked in but no i have to try any way. So I get a good run and lift the front end up and all was great in the world till i hit the middle of pond and hit super stop you in your tracks mud. so the front end came down and the bike stopped as where i kept going for another 10 feet. :-D So that where dumb azz idea numer 2 comes in. I'll just try to kick it even though it was submerged in water for 15 mins. (Thats how long it took to get out) so i did $2200 worth of damage in 20 mins. So i have my crf in boxs right now until i can get her fixed. But thanks when i get her up again I would love to check that place out.

#15 ·
Hey guys sounds like you have the seeds of an annual Christmass ride/workshop going on.

I've got more family than I can poke a stick at [ex-catholics still breeders] but if you're feeling really down about it send some-one a present.

Just don't send any thing to Cheap!!

Merry shopping month.

AA

#16 ·
On 2006-12-10 21:46, 24gt wrote:
Haven't rode the CRF for 6 months now. I found a pond and thought hey i can ride through that. Now for most people common sense would have kicked in but no i have to try any way. So I get a good run and lift the front end up and all was great in the world till i hit the middle of pond and hit super stop you in your tracks mud. so the front end came down and the bike stopped as where i kept going for another 10 feet. :-D So that where dumb azz idea numer 2 comes in. I'll just try to kick it even though it was submerged in water for 15 mins. (Thats how long it took to get out) so i did $2200 worth of damage in 20 mins. So i have my crf in boxs right now until i can get her fixed. But thanks when i get her up again I would love to check that place out.
nice. i've always been kind of spooked running through spring run-off rivers out there.
sorry about the piston chamber. when your up and running ping me and i bet i could show you where that ride is via google earth.

BTW, i used to take my bike to "performance cycle" on broadway.
check them out if you have time and convenience.
the owner is a great guy.
-b

#17 ·
I love the people at Performance. But they dont work on bikes any more just sell parts. I had a lot of work done on my old gixxer by them 6 years ago great work and well priced. Was bummed to find they dont do service any more.

#19 ·
Hey cool, two others from CO. I live about 15 miles form you guys. I used to work off Hwy 85. I was wondering if I would find any others from Denver here. Zoo, I can relate, no family here other than my two kids. I will keep an eye out for you guys, I live on the North side too.

#24 ·
And to all who live in denver i go riding with a couple of guys up to the mountains every sat. (In the summer that is.)
We go a little fast but have slower riders to who we wait for so they can ride at there ability. So if your ever needing to ride with a group your welcome to join.

#25 ·
one last:

i can't believe performance cycles ditched out on service! did they open the back part of that building up for merchandise? or just using it for inventory? that's crazy.

although they DID screw up on a complete over-haul on my xr600.
i had them re-do the entire motor - everything! when i got it back i rode it 3 times and it started smoking... i investigated and found that they forgot to tighten the bolts that hold the carb/gasket to the head. so dirt was flying in there when i was riding.
i was one p!ssed guy. that's when i traded up for my cr5. but would kill to have my xr600 back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.