Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new to me 2015 xcx started dying on me today. Its like limp mode in a car, I hit 4k rpms and its like you completely let off the throttle. The motor completely stops until it gets to around 3500rpms then its fine. Keep it below 4k rpms and it runs fine.
The bike has 11k miles on it, I got it 1k miles ago and its been great. I rode it yesterday 50 miles(got caught in a heavy downpour for about 10mins, dont know if that could be related) and I rode it 75 miles today, it ran perfect. Stopped for lunch then it started doing this. Shut it off a few times, restarted and its the same. I let it sit a few hours, charged the battery to 100%(original battery) and didnt make it 100 yds before hitting 4k rpms and the same happened. I did notice a differnt engine noise at 3k rpms that wasnt there before. More like something vibrating. It doesnt do any of this in neutral, revs fine until its moving.

I did change the plugs, antifreeze and installed a new airfilter/snorkel 300 miles ago. The only thing I know to do is pull the tank an check everything over again. Any ideas? I really dont want to take it to the shop.

Oh yeah, no check engine lights.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have no answer for you but I do have a suggestion. The battery is more than six years old, it's time to retire it, it will get you stranded sooner rather than later. Not worth the risk for a relatively inexpensive essential part.

Chico

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have no answer for you but I do have a suggestion. The battery is more than six years old, it's time to retire it, it will get you stranded sooner rather than later. Not worth the risk for a relatively inexpensive essential part.

Chico
In addition to what Chico said, you would be surprised at how many times that issues such as this was traced back to a LOOSE battery connection. These CANBUS electrical systems can be especially sensitive to loose battery connections.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was my fault. Duh. When I pulled the tank last time, apparently I had the fuel line turned the wrong way at the tank connection and it was crimped. I fixed it today and its running perfect. Strange it took it 150 miles to act up.

·
Registered
2022 Triumph Bonneville Street Twin
201 Posts
Thanks for advising the outcome (fuel starvation)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts