Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen plenty of threads regarding the removal of the Cat and fitting an X pipe but I would like to know if swapping out one X pipe for another X pipe brand is just as tricky an operation in a Thruxton 1200.

Cheers in advance.

·
Registered
174 Posts
once the original cat box is out you don't need to undo the frame rail.
Depending on the brand you may or my not need the original seals and clamps.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
No as the biggest problem is getting that big bulky stock cat out is the hard part loosing the frame rail so the cat can be pulled out from below, the xpipe can slide out from the side between the motor and frame, the stock cat can't.

Ashley

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
once the original cat box is out you don't need to undo the frame rail.
Depending on the brand you may or my not need the original seals and clamps.
No guesses which one Peter. I want to swap out a Mototrio for the Meerkat. I don't know whether the clamps and seals are original or not but I am hoping you could tell me. I saw the thread regarding the difference between the two X pipes and would like to try the Meerkat for myself.

On the side I called you regarding modifying stock mufflers. You thought you might be on to some chrome stocks for this. How did that pan out?

Nigel

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No as the biggest problem is getting that big bulky stock cat out is the hard part loosing the frame rail so the cat can be pulled out from below, the xpipe can slide out from the side between the motor and frame, the stock cat can't.

Ashley
Sweet. That is what I wanted to hear. :happay

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Sweet. That is what I wanted to hear. :happay
Peter did my stock mufflers when I got my xpipe off him, he opened the mufflers up and made baffles like the old Conti baffles, I am lucky Peter is only about 1 1/2 hours from me, he gave me the xpipe to fit while he did my mufflers and 2 days later my mufflers were done.
The pipes sound great, performs great, not to loud and the best thing its all stock looking, going this way was so much cheaper than buying V&H mufflers or any other performance mufflers and the cops don't even look at me, the xpipe and opening the stock mufflers was one of the best things I have done to make my Thruxton perform its best and cheapest way to go, all up for the xpipe and muffler mods $500 and the workmanship is out standing.

Ashley

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Peter did my stock mufflers when I got my xpipe off him, he opened the mufflers up and made baffles like the old Conti baffles, I am lucky Peter is only about 1 1/2 hours from me, he gave me the xpipe to fit while he did my mufflers and 2 days later my mufflers were done.
The pipes sound great, performs great, not to loud and the best thing its all stock looking, going this way was so much cheaper than buying V&H mufflers or any other performance mufflers and the cops don't even look at me, the xpipe and opening the stock mufflers was one of the best things I have done to make my Thruxton perform its best and cheapest way to go, all up for the xpipe and muffler mods $500 and the workmanship is out standing.

Ashley
That is my first choice because I like the look of the stock mufflers best. Otherwise i might be looking to Peter for an alternative.

·
Registered
174 Posts
No guesses which one Peter. I want to swap out a Mototrio for the Meerkat. I don't know whether the clamps and seals are original or not but I am hoping you could tell me. I saw the thread regarding the difference between the two X pipes and would like to try the Meerkat for myself.

On the side I called you regarding modifying stock mufflers. You thought you might be on to some chrome stocks for this. How did that pan out?

Nigel
Nothing yet ,their being a bit slack but are still promising, soon!!!
They still can't say if there is a set of chrome thruxtons in the mix or not.
sorry.
Peter H

1 - 8 of 8 Posts