Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to install the free spirits xpipe on my 2017 triumph Bobber. Trying to add some power, improve the sound and maybe make the motor run cooler. Does anybody know if it is absolutely necessary to get the motor re-mapped after the install? I'm fairly new to working on my own bike but I'm good with my hands and a quick learner. I know its probably a good idea to get it re-mapped but can anybody with more experience weigh in if its absolutely necessary ? if so why? Much obliged.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Roach’O,
What we have seen with the new triumphs is that a remap/tune is not required. That being said, there are gains to be had with richening these bikes in the mid range. Unfortunately the only tuning option at this time for the 1200 motors is a Power Commander. Long story short, put the X-pipe and ride it, your bike will be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
I'm about to install the free spirits xpipe on my 2017 triumph Bobber. Trying to add some power, improve the sound and maybe make the motor run cooler. Does anybody know if it is absolutely necessary to get the motor re-mapped after the install? I'm fairly new to working on my own bike but I'm good with my hands and a quick learner. I know its probably a good idea to get it re-mapped but can anybody with more experience weigh in if its absolutely necessary ? if so why? Much obliged.
Lots of info on this description: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Triumph-Bonnie-T120-Bobber-Performance-Meerkat-x-pipe-crosspipe-xpipe-/122725583047

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your helpful response. Good to hear re-mapping is not necessary. Now I'm hoping the free spirits xpipe was the way to go. Do any of you know if the meerkat is a better product than the free spirits xpipe?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Thank you both for your helpful response. Good to hear re-mapping is not necessary. Now I'm hoping the free spirits xpipe was the way to go. Do any of you know if the meerkat is a better product than the free spirits xpipe?
You can’t go wrong with most of the x-pipes on the market - Free Spirits, Meerkat, TEC, British Customs, Moto Trio, Super Corse, etc. I have only seen one that looked like it wouldn’t work like the others do and was an “I” design. All are close enough in design that the performance gains should be similar.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
I agree.
Honestly, there's not going to be any significant difference between cross-pipes, unless you include the ones with the compression clamp fittings like British Customs, and I would definitely avoid those (the clamps are supposed to be V-clamps, but they went el-cheapo, and the installers report them as a pain to get to seal).
That 'I' design A&J mentions is fascinatingly awful!

Between the FS and the Meerkats I prefer the Meerkats. They have broader piping (about 1.78") for the cross-over pipe, as they report they found this gives a larger expansion zone closer to that used in the original tune, and that also means a larger 'active' link between the two paths. How much difference this makes? I have no idea, because we haven't done a comparison on the same bike between these and the Free Spirits.
I'm also not wild on the Free Spirits brand. The bracket system is superfluous, and FS implied everyone else's systems were inferior because they didn't have it. That's complete tosh, because the bracket is needed to support a 2.88Kg cat, not a 600g exhaust extension tube. That and the fact they've been quite dishonest about things like the benefits of some of their products (like their pod filters), I don't feel much respect for them.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Free spirit x pipe on my thruxton installs easily, good quality , works a treat
Good price and excellent service from A&J

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Free spirit x pipe on my thruxton installs easily, good quality , works a treat
Good price and excellent service from A&J
I think he was asking for a comparison between products. Both brands are good quality, install easily, and "work a treat", although it's good to hear A&J offer good service.

So focusing on the question itself... if anyone has experience of both, or a reason to recommend one over the other, let us all know :)

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
A few interesting points about that video. Firstly, the Norman Hyde is an example of a decat where they don't bother with the V-clamps. In the video they completely skip the part where you struggle to get a decent seal between the rear section and the decat. It's not easy, because they're not supposed to be joined the way they fabricate them.
Secondly, that final shot of the power curve from the dyno run is with a PCV fitted. You can see that they picked up the RPM from the PCV rather than the usual secondary ignition clamp. Perhaps that should have been mentioned or added as a disclaimer?
Finally, I love this on the web page:
"Please treat with an enormous degree of scepticism claims from other less thorough (and shall we say scrupulous) that no mods are required and the bike “self learns”. Some of them have been making these claims before some of the models were even launched. You figure!"
I mean seriously, who made those claims, and who released an x-pipe before the models were released? I know Free Spirits made misleading claims about the power, but did they claim it "self-learns"?

Jeez, I hate it when sellers try and bullsh*t people. I understand it's a sales technique, but I still think it's pretty dodgy.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Same here: bullsh*tting me turns me off, and gets them listed as to be avoided.

Unfortunately there are enough potential customers out there, naive or simply unaware, for them to try and again.

So, I wholeheartedly support your action, pointing out suppliers who have been proven unreliable --as long of course as you agree to some challenge if one differs.

NN

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guess the self learning thing wasnt as bullshitty as previously expected. Step 1 . Start and let idle without adjusting throttle until radiator fan kicks on, I've heard wait a few minutes past that as well...
Step 2. ride at a constant throttle input and speed with 42500-4500 RPM for 15 minutes.
Optional Step 3. Get a $500 PCV and some 500$ dyno time or maybe cheap out and get a $120booster plug if you aint happy with the ecu after that.
If your feeling crafty and dont mind reading alot of warnings on bricking/blowing your bike then directly tune your own with TuneECU.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
Guess the self learning thing wasnt as bullshitty as previously expected.
It's not ********, but it has almost nothing to do with fuelling because it resets and re-calibrates the correlation between the O2 sensors and idle speed at zero throttle, i.e. it's an idle/cruise correction factor when the engine is running at 14.7:1 stoich, as explained in the Triumph dealer bulletin. The whole "self tuning" thing is a myth propagated primarily by internet forum readers and used by sellers of things like exhausts to allay customer fears that their bike might run badly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts