Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I recently purchased an xpipe for my thruxton R and noticed the finish on the welds is extremely rough especially on the inside. I have purchased a British Customs xpipe years ago for my T120 and it was beautiful but this one is quite rough looking as you'll see in the pictures. Will the pieces of material hanging on the inside interrupt gas flow and underperform? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Shrugs...as long as the welds don’t leak...I think you will be fine...but yes those welds are not great...

Have fun...cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Should have invested in a Meerkat, quality workmanship and performance, built by a tradesman and not on a production line.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Yeah I know the Meerkat is great and all but by the time it gets to where I live I'd be into the $400's.
You should have contacted Peter at Meerkat as he sells and post to you for way under $400 but as I have always said you get what you pay for in the long run and those welds look terrible plus Meerkat has a lot less welds and are TIG welded.

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
My Meerkat cost $290.60 US including shipping. That was $300 plus $40 shipping AU in July, 2018.

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
You should have contacted Peter at Meerkat as he sells and post to you for way under $400 but as I have always said you get what you pay for in the long run and those welds look terrible plus Meerkat has a lot less welds and are TIG welded.
Work of art. Sounds great too.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the one in the photos is from TEC and I ended up paying $260 with shipping and import fees from the US. Meerkat is $300 CAD shipped but unsure of import charges which could be another $50-70..is it honestly worth the extra $100 to return the TEC and buy the Meerkat?

·
Premium Member
1,195 Posts
So the one in the photos is from TEC and I ended up paying $260 with shipping and import fees from the US. Meerkat is $300 CAD shipped but unsure of import charges which could be another $50-70..is it honestly worth the extra $100 to return the TEC and buy the Meerkat?
I don’t think it would be worth the hassle at this point.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I would as the Meerkat is well worth it for the workmanship and performance, I am not one for putting inferior parts on my very expensive motorcycle, and having big blobs of welds inside the pipe would make a difference to the exhaust flow, as well why should you have to fix or clean those welds after buying it, send it back and get your money back as that should not have past quality control in the first place.
I did my homework before buying the Meerkat, I checked out what others though as well what was on the market, I do this with everything I put on my bikes, as well Meerkat and Peter are only 100 miles away from me and he also opened up my stock mufflers for better performance, so for $500au all up I got performance mufflers and xpipe and the bike still looks stock but performs great.
Going cheap to save a little bit of money is not always good and if you decide to got with a Meerkat you will know the difference straight away and know you made the right decision as soon as you get it in your hands.

Ashley

·
Registered
773 Posts
About 3 weeks ago I put a TEC X-pipe on my Street Twin. Welds, both external and internal, were excellent. It's doubtful you'll detect and power improvements if you take the time to clean up the welds. Ride more, worry less, enjoy, and most importantly be safe.

Paul

·
Registered
219 Posts
With the Meerkat does it make more sense to go with the chrome or stainless finish? I assume it’s pretty much invisible once installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
I believe it's either polished or brushed stainless steel. I went with polished on my T120 to match the pipes...just in case someone happens to be laying on the ground when I ride by.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah wouldnt worry about that upsetting exhaust turbulance too much, maybe if that was inside the head but in ths x pipe it had probably next to no effect.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts