Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a few questions about the triumph street fighters, but before I go into that I'd like to give you a little info on how I found myself here.

Im looking for my next bike and a jap one is out of the question. Being italian and loving italian design I was immediately drawn to italian bikes. I looked at the Ducati, but none of them were all that comfortable. Then I looked at Aprilia, and learned that nearly all Italian bikes suck when it comes to maintenance. Neither one of these factors help me out cause I ride year round. This has led me to this forum, and my first questions.

1. Out of the Street Triple and the Speed Triple, which has more relaxed ergonomics?

2. how are these bikes when it comes to maintenance? for example: approx number of valve adjustments needed, chain, etc.

3. Which streetfighter would be best for 2-up? ( most powerful engine + braking )

4. Would you consider this a good bike for daily use year round? whats good, whats not.

Thank you. Im starting to really like the look of these streetfighters alot. I come from a cruiser background ( if you couldnt already tell ) and im looking for something a little more fun, and still practical for me. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
I tried out a Monster 696 the other day. I loved it, but I couldn't see myself on it for very long. I much prefer my Speedy for its all-around fun. Here's a site that may answer your deeply-rooted philosophical questions. http://www.triumphchepassione.com/ Italian customizing with British reliability and pucker power? What's not to like?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I used to strictly be a cruiser rider because I figured I'd never use the full potential of its performance anyways. That was until I found myself sliding sideways through turns and destroying foot pegs on a regular basis. At that point, I knew that my confidence surpassed the limits of a cruiser. To answer your questions...

1) The Street and Speed have similar riding positions. The Street feels like it was built for a smaller rider. I feel more spread out and relaxed on a Speed. You need to sit on both yourself.

2) Maintenance on my Speed has been the same or slightly less than my Hondas. However, Triumphs aren't built as robustly or heavily engineered like Hondas. They don't take kindly to poor maintenance or stupidity on the part of the owner. If you're a good owner, it'll be good to you.

3) I don't do 2-up riding much. The Speed Triple has arguably the best front brakes in the market. The engine will pull you from 2500rpm in top gear. But I do unnecessary downshifts just to hear the engine sing~ :p

4) I'm using my Speed as daily transportation. It's very comfortable (when the suspension is set up correctly) and economical @ 40+mpg in Los Angeles traffic.

The only complaint I have about the bike is the time it takes to obtain parts. The wait is usually a week or two versus the couple days it usually took to get Jap parts. Otherwise, I couldn't be happier with my decision.

·
Premium Member
7,368 Posts
1. Out of the Street Triple and the Speed Triple, which has more relaxed ergonomics?

2. how are these bikes when it comes to maintenance? for example: approx number of valve adjustments needed, chain, etc.

3. Which streetfighter would be best for 2-up? ( most powerful engine + braking )

4. Would you consider this a good bike for daily use year round? whats good, whats not.
1. There isn`t much difference.

2. Ditto

3. Speed Triple. Although neither would be high on my list if I had to take a pillion regularly. The Street is noticeably slower 2-up, than the Speed Triple.

4. Again, not much to choose from but I think if you ride hard, pull lots of wheelies etc, the 1050 engine is more robust and handles the abuse better.

The main difference between the two is the Street Triple is lighter, more nimble, with slightly better (the R version) steering and handling, the Speed Triple has more grunt and is faster.

I`ve just bought my 3rd 1050 Speed Triple, a black 09 and I had to think REALLY hard about possibly getting a Street Triple R instead. In the end it was so close it came down to the fact that I didn`t like the matt paintwork on the R, a mate has one and it`s wearing through in places after just a few months and is hard to keep clean.

·
Registered
360 Posts
if two-ups is of high importance, there are better bikes to fulfill that duty other than the speed triple. I've never ridden the street so cant honestly offer an opinion truth be told.

Dont dismiss Japanese bikes out of hand, make no mistake that they are the benchmarks that all 'us' others aim to out-do. (sans this particular market [naked performance streetbikes~streetfighters]).

Aprilias are wonderfully made bikes, very stout, just like with any italian bike, some call it "the italian Honda", all the same do yourself a favor and dont let them be your only bike and even better, live within a tolerable distance to your dealer, and even-EVEN better understand that bike acquisition is not the full equation, "feeding" that beast comes part and parcel with bike ownership....so be respectably and above 'average-ly' (dont look it up, it's not a real word) gainfully employed so as not to have to live on ramen soup during the riding season.

valve adjustments scheduled at every 12k miles on the speed triple, oil and filter and comprehensive checks are every 6k miles.

this bike is very compact and very naked. High speeds and distance on the interstate are not its forte! It'll do it okay, just twist the throttle but again, there are better choices for those duties. if you remove the stock fender be prepared for the skunk stripe up and over your back if you ride in the rain.

Phenominal bike for what it's made for. City/suburban/rural "street-fightin". Weekend cutting and scratchin' with the boys or solo. everyday commuting in all but "sucky" weather, but that's the case with just about all motorcycles tho.

Best commuter bike (task at hand balanced by cost and maintenance and utility)? My vote is the Kawi versys or bonneville!

is this your first bike?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
no this is not my first bike. My bike is my main form of transportation, and I do it in the rain, cold, and on the couch... I dunno, really like the aprilia and duc but since it will be my only bike... forgettttabat it! Bmw 1200 r, thinkin about it... yet Im not so crazy about it. what to do. Im also open to lightweight cruisers from 1000cc to 1300. Jap bikes just dont do it for me at all. I dunno just cant find ****

·
Registered
165 Posts
Then I looked at Aprilia, and learned that nearly all Italian bikes suck when it comes to maintenance
- Not true. I've owned 3 Aprilia's and never had a single problem with any of them. I wouldn't take a Tuono over an S3 only because I perfer the S3 styling more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts