Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

Brand new to the forum and to old triumphs, so bear with me please!
I am looking at buying a '77 bonneville for $1800. The engine and tranny were rebuilt 6k ago, and the valves, seals, rings, bearings were replaced recently. It needs some new tires but is apparently running well enough to ride home.

I love these bikes but am worried that I might end up with something that is rarely rideable or becomes a very expensive project. I have no problem putting in the time to get it running well, but expense is another issue. Can anyone give me some advice on what I should be inspecting or asking about when I go to look at this bike? Also, how much should I expect to spend on this bike to get it into good, not showroom, condition? (pretty tough question i know).

Finally, can anyone point me in the direction of some literature which will help me work on the bike? Any advice is appreciated and feel free to chastise me for my inexperience. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
12,491 Posts
Welcome!

Go to the tech section at the top of the thread list, and look over the "tech section sticky topic" thread for the various subjects.

I've been meaning to make a new sticky for "first timers please read" with a half dozen of the most frequently asked questions, and links to the appropriate threads with all the answers, references & tips.

Without pix and a good bit more info, it's all wild guessing asd to what it would take to get any particular bike roadworthy.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I'm sure you'll get a lot more expert opinions than mine, but I love my 78 Bonnie and I loved my 77 Bonnie when I had it. I can guarentee that if you sort it out it will not be a rarely ridable bike. They are pretty basic machines (which is part of their charm) so you can do a lot more work on them yourself than you realize.

As testament to these motorcycles a Norton/owner/fanatic friend of mine drove down to see me in his car on a recent Indian summer day. I let him take my 78 for a ride and I couldn't get him off the thing. He was amazed at what a fun bike it was.

$1800 seems like a great price although it's hard to judge sight unseen. Running and ridable is a very good starting point. As far as repairs, go one step at a time and ask for advice here. That worked well for me. Once you get it in reliable riding condition you can take the rest of your life to make it a restored beauty.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I love these bikes but am worried that I might end up with something that is rarely rideable or becomes a very expensive project.
Brooks8970,

Welcome to the forum. Just hit some of the the past post like
Paul has already stated for the info you are looking to find.

As for rarely rideable. These machines are so basic, you shall
have no problem sorting one out and get yourself a daily rider.
Just remember, to go over everything and take your time making
sure it is dialed in right. It will save time and trouble later.

Pookybear

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info and encouragement! The sale is still preliminary but Ill update the thread once I get more info. I saw a 77 on the road about 4 years ago and followed it into a parking lot to get some information from the owner. Been wanting one ever since. Crossing my fingers...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts