Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm about ready to set fire to this effin bike now. All ready to set the cylinders on so get the pistons on the rods and find only one set of circlips. I had both little pink paks, they're pink so you can keep up with them. I intentionally kept them in the piston boxes until I'm ready for them, I get two in the pistons, pins in and just like magic the other pak is gone. I've cleaned out all the damn trash cans and half the shop, every logical step, two sixty cent clips.... I'm so pissed right now I can't even think straight.
Question is, I don't see a source for the circlips like were in the box, with the straight piece to grab onto with pliers. I'd prefer what the pistons were machined for. Emgo 18-89304. Resisting the temptation to use two from the old pistons and slap it back together, they're not the same and have been heat cycled and pretty warm at some time.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Hi Slofut,
turn the engine upside down and shake it, just in case they fell inside the crankcase.

Replacement clips can be round (I very much prefer pistons machined for round circlips) or square profile depending on the piston manufacture; the circlips must match the piston for profile and wire thickness otherwise you risk the clip coming out.

When you find them, set the gap to the top or bottom, not to the side.

If you really can’t find them:

good luck

Peg.

Reactions: slofut

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Peg, they weren't near the motor, and I didn't put them in the bores while on the motor. So at least I'm sure they're not in the crankcase. And they certainly are somewhere in this shop, and in the little pink pak. I had them still in the sealed pak in the box with the pistons. On the workbench I slit one pack and put them in one side of each piston, at that point I must have done something stupid. Left the other pak sealed and should have been in the box the pistons came in, but I'll be damned... I've kept up with them for three weeks 🤦‍♂️ Those in the link don't look like these and I'm not certain they have the same wire profile or would fit the bores properly. Besides that, I'm done with Bonneville Shop, they lost a customer over two o-rings.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Hi slofut, I had clip go flying…. Found it a month later on the chain that holds Chuck key on drill press.

I’m not big fan of the tanged circlip. My feeling is tang is extra weight that can promote dislodging at high rpm. I generally replace them with non tanged circlip.

However… The wire thickness varies between brands of pistons!! I learned all this looking for Harris piston clip

DO NOT REUSE OLD CIRCLIP!

Measure wire thickness of current new clip.

Here’s my notes…

Original wire thickness from factory installed piston .048”.

UK made from Bonneville shop .050”. (It actually fit original groove fine, even though .002” thicker wire).

Emgo/JCC % Harris I got was .055”.

This thicker wall clip could not nest properly in factory piston where the .048 & .050” would.

I would never use too thick of wire where it doesn’t nest fully in groove.

If you cannot find same wire diameter I feel it’s ok to use a slightly thinner wire. But… verify pin cannot pass by wire.
Ideally tip of pin is ground such, as it migrates against clip end of pin is tapered such it’s impossible for clip to displace.

The opening of circlip should face down or up. Never sideways.
I generally place gap at top or bottom removal slot. Never at side removal slot.

I’ve only purchased pistons & circlips from Bonneville shop. Replaced tanged clips with normal on other motors. My T140 type Harris pistons came with non tanged clips.

In any case measure yours & have sellers measure theirs.

Buy the way I misplace things all the time. Find them in the oddest places. Recently found my needle point oil bottle a year later in a box not related to motorcycle stuff. Just part of life I guess, but it sure does make you mad!
Don

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
i bought a hundred pack of 20 amp glass fuses two weeks ago. went to the shop with them.

when i needed them i found one fuse on the floor, by itself. ninety nine were missing. how do you lose a box of 99 fuses? it isnt small.

i bought another box of 100, put them away, told everybody where they are. i check them daily.

so far so good.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys, it's sad that you can't contact emgo for service like this. If I have to I'll buy another set of pistons and get two damn clips. Maybe find circlips for the new ones later and pass them on to somebody smarter than me. I'm so mad with myself... :rolleyes:

If I knew those replacement c-clips were ok, i'd change all four. I'll get those and measure first.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi,

Errrm ... try reading post #2 ... :cool:

Hth.

Regards,
I didnt feel comfortable that those fit ok, have you used them on emgo pistons to good result? Well, it does say specifically sized to fit emgo pistons... I'll get those, that way I'll find mine the day these arrive.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Peg, they weren't near the motor, and I didn't put them in the bores while on the motor. So at least I'm sure they're not in the crankcase. And they certainly are somewhere in this shop, and in the little pink pak. I had them still in the sealed pak in the box with the pistons. On the workbench I slit one pack and put them in one side of each piston, at that point I must have done something stupid. Left the other pak sealed and should have been in the box the pistons came in, but I'll be damned... I've kept up with them for three weeks 🤦‍♂️ Those in the link don't look like these and I'm not certain they have the same wire profile or would fit the bores properly. Besides that, I'm done with Bonneville Shop, they lost a customer over two o-rings.
Yea so I'm eating my words here and had to order from BS. Only supplier with clips specifically for emgo... I do like the supplier, been buying from them for years, but kinda got brushed off on the o-ring order and left me a bit offended. :cautious:
I'll just get over it.

Reactions: 2011america

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
My garage pixies often take a week to return items. I just got my Monaco hat back after a week. I wear it every day and it vanished. Found this week just inside the garage doorway where they threw it.
My small swivel head ratchet handle was gone for a week so i bought 2 new ones. Next visit, there was the old one under one of the other bikes about 8 foot away from where i had used it.
I lose at least one item a week so i buy something every week just to keep the stock up.
This week, a bright yellow angle grinder has gone. Lucky that this has happened a couple of times now so i have 2 spare ones now.
They will never get all of it !

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
i own five grease guns.

not on purpose.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
Although they are bolted down to worktops, i have 2 bench grinders and keep them in separate buildings. The main object of desire for my Pixies is the autoglym resin polish so i have one container at each end of the garage. Never put two similar items together or they will have both.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So, I'm about ready to set fire to this effin bike now. All ready to set the cylinders on so get the pistons on the rods and find only one set of circlips. I had both little pink paks, they're pink so you can keep up with them. I intentionally kept them in the piston boxes until I'm ready for them, I get two in the pistons, pins in and just like magic the other pak is gone. I've cleaned out all the damn trash cans and half the shop, every logical step, two sixty cent clips.... I'm so pissed right now I can't even think straight.
Question is, I don't see a source for the circlips like were in the box, with the straight piece to grab onto with pliers. I'd prefer what the pistons were machined for. Emgo 18-89304. Resisting the temptation to use two from the old pistons and slap it back together, they're not the same and have been heat cycled and pretty warm at some time.

Any suggestions?
This is just too funny of a post reading everyones experiences! You have made my day!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts

1 - 20 of 49 Posts