Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well if you have been chceking on the tyre sticky at the top of the forum.

You will see I am trying a new tyre (I think I look like a Guinea Pig, I am sorta round) Bridgestones new race / sport tyre ............... the Battlax 002.

Well I had them fitted up on Thursday when I had the 30,000kms service and went for a ride this morning.

It was a solo and pretty hard ride around my favourite twistie mountain roads.

When I got home my nice new front tyre was ok and well warn round the tyre. But the rear, although worn to the edges had a large 50mm / 2" gash near the edge where I had clipped the end of a largish tree branch at high speed while leaned over. :???:

It was really deep down to the case, not worth risking with my riding style.

I didn't realise I had any damage till I got home as I had forgotten about the branch end because I was having so much fun.

One tyre down. :gooff: ">

Anyway I had to look on the bright side, I now have a nice new 190 on the back and it didn't happen with my wife on board and I saw it before it caused tyre disintegration at high speed while cranked over. :)

Apart from that the tyres are fantastic. I will do a review and post some nonsense in the tyre sticky after a few more rides.

Davem :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
.... ding ding ding! we have a winner.

Dave - you have set a new record for duffing a new tyre - 3 days!

You also held the previous record of 3,000km.

My original Bridgestones are now at 10,000km - but the dealer did comment yesterday at the service that the rear is nearing time for replacement.

Sounds like you were lucky - could have been worse?

Grant :cool:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Tree branch? No problem, apply power as required......... Glad you're OK.

Isn't the standard rear a 180? Or am I confused?

·
Registered
70 Posts
On 2006-11-17 20:58, DaveM wrote:
... the rear, although worn to the edges had a large 50mm / 2" gash near the edge where I had clipped the end of a largish tree branch at high speed while leaned over. :???:

It was really deep down to the case, not worth risking with my riding style.

I didn't realise I had any damage till I got home ...
Glad you didn't suffer an injury, Dave M. Er, no injury other than financial, anyway.

--Sparty

·
Registered
561 Posts
Dav, Dave,Dave,
you may be a hard rider with the record for the shortest tyre life. But mate you also think about safety, and the life of your beautiful wife on the back. Once again you have proved to be not only a great bloke, but one which uses his brains as well (Mr Bracks could learn a lot from you). Mate! do you use knee sliders? I'd say no, you rely skill and not a mudguard (all shiny on top and all shitty underneath). Also mate! the tyre companies must love you or at least your dealer. As always take care and see you in Tassie one day.

TTFN The Tankman
:bow: :bow: :bow: :upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:

[ This message was edited by: Tankman on 2006-11-18 04:11 ]

·
Registered
564 Posts
yes,ditto, Dave.... certainly relieved you came to no hartm.

I'll await the review but it seems the Pilot Powers have slid in the rankings?????
coz, Mr Guinea Pig, I'll have to replace mine around early new year and it's always nice to know you've done the groundwork for us all :-D

Steve

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On 2006-11-18 01:50, Tankman wrote:
Dav, Dave,Dave,
you may be a hard rider with the record for the shortest tyre life. But mate you also think about safety, and the life of your beautiful wife on the back. Once again you have proved to be not only a great bloke, but one which uses his brains as well (Mr Bracks could learn a lot from you). Mate! do you use knee sliders? I'd say no, you rely skill and not a mudguard (all shiny on top and all shitty underneath). Also mate! the tyre companies must love you or at least your dealer. As always take care and see you in Tassie one day.

TTFN The Tankman
:bow: :bow: :bow: :upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:

Thanks Tankman and all of you guys,
I appreciate all of your comments.

And Tankman, no,
I do not use knee sliders, I'm more tucked type of rider. You have me pretty well pegged Tanky.

I might stick a knee out while moving weight around a little but I don't try to scrape them at all.

The only bits of me that scrape are my boots. Unless I'm having a very very bad day :-D

Russ,
there will definitely be a review on the new donuts.

cheers guys,

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On 2006-11-17 23:07, Yimm wrote:
Tree branch? No problem, apply power as required......... Glad you're OK.

Isn't the standard rear a 180? Or am I confused?
Yimm the 180 is indeed standard, I always thought the bigger 190 slowed the steering but the accessories manager at my dealer races and says because it is a little bigger it actually raises the rear slightly and is supposed to may it steer more quickly. I let you know after I've tried it.

Cheers,

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yimm the 180 is indeed standard, I always thought the bigger 190 slowed the steering but the accessories manager at my dealer races and says because it is a little bigger it actually raises the rear slightly and is supposed to may it steer more quickly. I let you know after I've tried it.

Cheers,
That's an interesting point of view. I only ever tried a larger rear tire on one bike, NSR250, and it was at a trackday. It completely snotted up my turn-in and actually slowed my lap times. Perhaps it's the profile that really makes the diff, and not the actual tire size.

If we could only arrange things so we could ride every day, and go to the track whenever we wanted, we could answer all these little questions ourselves. By the time the kids are through college, I may be a bit old for that, but who knows...............

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yimm,
I think you could be right about the profile, because I always thought the same as you.

Anyway the real live report is the tyres perform very wellI had a great 270km hard ride on the new 190 rear this morning and am very pleased with them. :)

I can't honestly say if the turn in is any quicker but it cerainly wasn't slower that is for sure in this case anyway. I will post some pics of the new tyre when I upload them.

Cheers,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts