Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home from work, a car pulled out in front of me and I t-boned it at about 35 mph. I went sailing over the hood and slid down the street and ended up in the curb. My helmet did it's job (it's destroyed)) and so did my leather jacket.

I was taken by ambulance to the hospital where I found out I have a couple busted ribs. I also got one hell of a strawberry on my knee.

I am sitting at home doped up on pain-killers today. I am so sore, but I am going to be ok.

Condition of the bike is unknown. The policeman said he thought it was rideable, but I haven't seen it yet.

·
30,533 Posts
Man I'm sorry to hear that. The important thing is that you are OK - worry about the bike in due course - painful though it is to have your pride and joy seriously damaged, that can be dealt with. Heal up and get well!

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
It truly good to hear that you are okay. Ribs heal. Worry about the bike (and insurance) later. Hope you'll get well again soon.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Very sorry to hear, but the important thing is you're (relatively) okay. Agree with the others, worry about the bike later - that, and there's always more bikes out there.

·
Registered
895 Posts
The up side is you are mostly o.k..

Also your local Police attended. So getting reparation to get the bike fixed up should not be too much of a problem.

Still it is a bit of a B++! you were involved in the first place. Speedy recovery.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Great to hear you are ok first and foremost.

I had similar injuries plus a broken leg about five years ago when (my fault) I hit a car. The side of the car was peeled open like a sardine can. The speed of the impact was probably about the same as yours and my then Legend was a complete write-off, so you might need to be prepared for the worst.

Still whatever the mechanical cost, you will heal. Broken ribs are the worst though, so make sure you have good pain relief. Just a tip (I'm a registered nurse) that opiates ie Morphine can have some unpleasant side-effects, so use in moderation.

All the best

·
Registered
592 Posts
Very glad to hear your OK... rubber side down to everyone out there... go for everything you can against the cage driver for embarrasments sake. I'm not talking about financial reward on your part (though surely make sure your costs are covered), I'm more talking about making them understand as strong as possible that causing an accident with a motorcyclist is serious business....

cagers need to be take being on the road as serious as those of us on two wheels do. (well, with a few exceptions we won't mention)

·
Registered
2017 Street Twin
198 Posts
Glad your not too badly hurt, hopefull you'll get some dosh to do your bike up .

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
A most usatisfactory post...but glad you live to tell the tale! My, you must be bummed out. Had an off on my T100 a while ago and it nearly killed me. Took a long while to rid myself of the skittishness once I got back on two wheels.
Again, glad you are not too badly injured and hope yours - and the bonehead's that took you out - insurance treats you fairly!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Rob, we are glad to know you are going to be okay. This is certainly one of my greatest fears, and I am sure it is one that many of us share.

Best of luck in your recovery. We will be thinking of you.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Rob,

Thank "you know who" that your going to be O.K.!
The gear was your best friend in that situation!
I'm curious on the bike, helmet and jacket.
Maybe pic's if and when you feel up to it...

Wishing you a fast recovery,

Flaco

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad to hear you're moderately ok. You can always get a new bike. Way to go on wearing gear!!!

I went down 4 years ago without a leather coat and still have the scars to remember the incident by. Road rash is a PITA.

With summer around the corner, thanks for the reminder to all the riders how important gear is...even in 100'F days!!!

Dress for the crash, not the ride.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Get well soon
Steve

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Hear hear!! Your safety is the priority. Glad to hear you are relatively uninjured. Pity about the bike, but you can always get another of those.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Glad you're ok. I got rear ended stopping in traffic 3 weeks ago. I stopped 4 feet off the car in front of me and looked in the mirror and saw eyebrows just over the steering whel and knew he wasn't going to stop in time. Curb to the right and flowing traffic in the left lane no where to go. I didn't drop it and had the 82 year old gentleman follow me to the next parking lot after I pulled the fender off the tire.
When the cop got ther he asked me 3 questions 1. Did you drop the bike? 2. Did you punch him? 3. Do you have insurance? Well I answered no to the first 2 and yes to the 3rd and he laughed and said there's e f'ning miracles today. He also told me not to contact my insurance company and put the load on his as he was at fault.
His insurance supplied a rental car and didn't mess around about the cost of fixing my T-100. Btw insurance is not required in florida
for motorcycles I'm thinking about gassing up the coverage.......

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Wishing you the speediest recovery Rob. Good you had your gear on.
Only downside I can think of to the pain meds is some constipation but then I'm not a trained medical professional. I think the worst would be you run out or they don't give you enough. Pain sucks and I hope your doctor is understanding and treats yours with compassion.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Rob...I join others here in Best Wishes for a speedy recovery. I hope you get a brand new motorcycle out of the jacka$$ that pulled out in front of you and are back on the road in no time.
Very Best,
George

1 - 20 of 38 Posts