Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have not been to Barber Motorsports in Birmingham AL, you have to make this a must see visit. The entire complex - track, landscape, museum, and of course the motorcycles are absolutley beautiful. I went yesterday and seeing all the bikes in the museum while being able to look out the windows and see the super stock and formula extreme racers ripping around the track for practice was to good to be true. I took 123 photos - some of which you can view in the Barber album HERE.

I'm going back!! JCW

·
Registered
583 Posts
wow thrux-ton I am so freekin jealous

that looks like the christmas tree of my dreams,,, THANKS SANTA,
I think i may have to plan a pilgrimage to this mecca you have shown us.

awesome

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Real "art of the motorcyce" stuff in that album. Could have used a little more "art of the camera" however.

I'm totally kidding. Really, thanks for taking the time to post the pictures.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If that impresses you, go to the British National Motorcycle Museum in Birmingham. It burned in 2003, and has come back better than ever. HogSlayer 2, from Tom Christensen of Kenosha Wisconsin is now there. The best thing to see is the Quadrant. It was a 1000cc 4 cylinder bike that never got past the two prototypes. Their's RUNS and was tested by one of the Vintage Brit Magazines.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The Barber Museum is well worth the visit. Only a percentage of their bike collection is on display and they rotate the displays periodically. The next time you visit, you wil see some different bikes. The museum is well worth visiting.

[ This message was edited by: CarlS on 2006-04-22 13:50 ]

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I have the good fortune to be a docent in the museum and worked Friday afternoon-lots of folks from all over came to visit and view the displays. I live about 8 miles from there. There is also a large collection of Lotus race cars- Formula 1, the 50's racers and some street Lotii. The place is like a living organism-they change it all the time trying to make it better and more interesting. They were running a 1991 Lotus F1 car around the track as well as revving it inside the building-WOW! LOUD! good stuff. Any one who has not been here cannot imagine just how neat it is to see. They had the Ducati Monster finalist bike judging there and they ran most of those too! What fun. I love it. George Barber should be given a medal for saving ,restoring some and displaying all these incredible machines. Thanks George!
Ya'All come on down and visit this incredible place. Alabama is Motorcycle Heaven!!

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could have used a little more "art of the camera" however.
Mancha - you are correct - for some reason my camera lost "focus" on about 20% of my shots. To much glare and lights?? or my hands shaking from from being around so many fabulous bikes??? I don't know, but its the perfect excuse to go right on back over and complete the work properly. :-D :-D :-D

John

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
On 2006-04-22 14:20, Thrux-ton-up wrote:

Mancha - you are correct - for some reason my camera lost "focus" on about 20% of my shots. To much glare and lights?? or my hands shaking from from being around so many fabulous bikes??? I don't know, but its the perfect excuse to go right on back over and complete the work properly. :-D :-D :-D

John
Perfect excuse for ME to go over and complete the work properly, you mean. :-D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yup, I went there a couple years ago; and the collection at the Barber museum is truly jaw dropping. So much beauty all in one place. It was definitely the icing on the cake of watching the AMA races that weekend.

JD

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
That's awesome.And inspiring;I read the topic this morning and remembered there was a bike exhibit at a museum close to my house.I rode over and took some photos.The pics are in Biker Hangout-Bikes in San Diego thread
here's a teaser

Wish I was near Birmingham!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts