Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering your thoughts on this bike.. would you buy it.??. Anyone know the previous owner (von shclutt). Really like the pipes, and need a project. What is the 'RAT' opinion on this?
'Cosmetic Damage trux'
Got the cash ready...just need some more opinions. as you can see it needs primary cover, and lever, and headlights.. I reckon about a grand to get it looking good. Then of course, personal mods could start.
thanks.
By the way long time reader. 1st post.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Whoa! That guy went for a "slide" I see. If the price is right, of course. I'd factor in my labor, time, and dough to get it back, throw it out, and see if they bite. Looks like a good project.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
If the 6K price on the front page is correct not a chance. You can get some killer deals on used Thruxtons if you have a little time, and you have the cash to get them. Heck that's within a grand of what many 08 left over bikes have been selling for. And you can find bikes that have never been down for less than that, ready to ride.

If it were me I wouldn't pay more than 2500 for it. You're going to have well over a grand in putting her back together (that is unless there's hiden damage you don't know about) plus you now have a bike with a Salvage title which isn't going to be worth as much as a bike with a clean title.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
He must have been moving out pretty good to have ground the metal down like that...makes you think dont it...

I agree it looks like alot of project for the money...

...plus IMO the exhaust pipe looks goofy...not that that has anything to do with anything...

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
So that motor will have dumped its oil out through the primary case and possibly continued to run dry. thats not cosmetic damage, thats potentialy fugged mains etc.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just wondering your thoughts on this bike.. would you buy it.??. Anyone know the previous owner (von shclutt). Really like the pipes, and need a project. What is the 'RAT' opinion on this?
'Cosmetic Damage trux'
Got the cash ready...just need some more opinions. as you can see it needs primary cover, and lever, and headlights.. I reckon about a grand to get it looking good. Then of course, personal mods could start.
thanks.
By the way long time reader. 1st post.
Let me know if you are looking for a set of used engine cases. I have a second set that I bought on ebay that I will likely never use.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I bought my 05 for 6.5k in mint condition with pipes, springs Ohlin's rear and 1500 miles. no way would I pay more than 3k for that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
thanks for your thoughts on this. One thing that I have left out of this is that we are talking aussie dollars here and it would seem alot of you are north americans. We are about .65c to your dollar, so surley that would change things right? 6000 aus is about 4k US. Over here the 06 trux in mint condition will go for about 10k. There is one on EBAY aus right now...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I would not touch that with a bargepole. Who knows what frame or other damage there has been. Plus it is a dated 06 - the 08 carb with flatter bars or 09 with efi is a much improved bike. You could take on a costly project here 'blind'.

I did that once 20 years ago with a BSA - big mistake from start to finish, well to selling it on at a big loss after spending a fortune and never using the damn thing properly.

"It it is too good to be true, it usually is."

Now who came up with that quote?

Was it Winston Churchill?

·
Registered
141 Posts
There was a wrecked Thruxton on Craigslist a while back for $2500. It needed forks, front wheel, clutch lever, tank, and gear lever. Individual parts for the bike your looking at would exceed the price of a nice used one.

I thought about picking it up for the engine. It would be sweet to have a backup engine to tinker with and a reliable one to use when the other is in pieces.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
There is a lot of damage there.
I wouldn't pay more than $2000 US.

It sounds like you've talked yourself into though.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Hard to say what it looks like under that clutch cover I would leave that one alone

·
Registered
427 Posts
I have been involved with Bonnevilles/Thruxtons for the last few years- I have a speedo, clutch cover, head light assembly amongst other parts for sale if your interested

Just keep your fingers crossed the engine never ran while the oil was draining out of the clutch cover

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
thing is it probably did. Don't touch it.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Do you know if the frame or forks are bent? Engine run dry after losing all the oil thru the casing?
To replace all those parts with genuine Triumph bits will definitely be > US$1000 let alone AUS$1000! I wouldn't touch it for the same reasons as stated below - why buy a crashed bike and rebuild it when you could probably buy a good used one (with less hassle) for pretty much the same price?
Just my opinion!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you know if the frame or forks are bent? Engine run dry after losing all the oil thru the casing?
To replace all those parts with genuine Triumph bits will definitely be > US$1000 let alone AUS$1000! I wouldn't touch it for the same reasons as stated below - why buy a crashed bike and rebuild it when you could probably buy a good used one (with less hassle) for pretty much the same price?
Just my opinion!
I think that if I were in the US, then the choice would be obvious. You seem to pay less for the bikes there, I was just on your ebay and there is a salvages trux there for 3400US (about 5Kaus). this bike seems be worse off than the one I am bidding on. It has bent forks and triple.
On average it would seem that you guys would spend about 6000US on a second hand one there which is about 8500aus. That is about 1000 less than what we would pay here. We have a market value website here called redbook that places the value for an 06 model at $8,500 - $10,100. My repairs would come int at about 7400.00. You simply cannot buy an 06 model here 'ready to go' for anything less than 9500.00.

In regar to the frame and forks, yes they are straight. There are no grazes on any part of the frame or fork legs..
Anyway thanks for your comments.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts