Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking about getting a cruiser to complement my Speed 4. For reference, I previously demo'd a SM, but didn't like the forward controls or the wheezy stock 270 deg. crank motor.

Maybe something along the lines of a H-D (Superglide, R-K, R-G) or a RIII Classic (floorboards rather than pegs). Perhaps an RIII with a Corbin fleetliner fairing & Beetlebags. Your thoughts?

If you had the chance to do it over again, would you buy an RIII? If not, then what would you get?

·
Registered
617 Posts
On 2007-02-13 19:12, B02S4 wrote:

If you had the chance to do it over again, would you buy an RIII?

Yes. All things considered, no other cruiser can touch the Rocket for performance, handling, and sheer grin production.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I went from an '00 Thunderbird Sport which I enjoyed for 5 awesome years. I still miss that bike. However, I kept trying to make the TBS into more of a long distance mount as well as keeping it's sportiness. I ended up buying an '01 Harley Road Glide with all the toys.

Truthfully, the Road Glide was a great bike, handled well, was an awesome two-up machine, and reliable as an anvil. Twin Cam Harleys are pretty reliable machines. However, I missed my sportiness. The Harley had almost the same power as the TBS, but was carrying a bunch more weight. After 6 months of the Road Glide, I was wanting my sporting power back really bad.

Enter the Rocket.. I had been watching the Rocket since the first drawings came out, but was intimidated by it's size and power. However, I finally just said to myself "Go for it!". I bought my Rocket last ('06) New Year's Weekend and have not looked back since. I do miss my TBS now and then, but my Rocket more than fits the bill and I'm back on a Triumph where I belong.

The passeger accomodations are NOT even close to the Road Glide, or even the Thunderbird Sport.. lol. I currently run Triumph's gel seats, which have eased the complaints from the passenger compartment. There are more comfortable seats available now so you should be able to satisfy the wife. My wife rides her own bike now, so I won't be upgrading anytime soon. I have close to 19,000 miles on the Rocket now without a problem to speak of.. :)

I've also test ridden a Speedmaster while I still owned my TBS and I was not impressed at all. After your Speed Four, you will not be impressed with any of the Bonnies.. :)

[ This message was edited by: tbsrider2000 on 2007-02-13 20:28 ]

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. Two-up is not a concern, as it will be a solo bike.

Very true about the Bonnies, as much as I like looking at them they just don't do it for me on the road.

Don't know if I will go new or used at this point. I'll need to demo one for sure.

Thanks all
Ken

·
Registered
876 Posts
I would go used now... You can find them for under $10,000 sometimes, which would justify the cost of adding all the accessories you want.. :) I bought mine as a demo for $12,500.. with only 123 miles on it..

·
Banned
557 Posts
Welcome, great question. Yes, yes I would repurchase my bike with no regrets. Second wife, I have some regrets, but that's another post for another board.

You got a speed triple and want a companion bike for mainly solo riding. And the $3k or so for Corbin accessories isn't a roadblock. So adding another $600 for lower air deflectors, shocks and cruise control shouldn't be an issue. Before replacing the seat, I recommend a removable gel seat cushion on the stock seat. I found that on long trips being able to remove the cushion and then return helped.

I promise you won't consider the bike wheezy, highly recommend 3 gear and as much wrist action as you can handle. You will find the bike stable, responsive and with great brakes - for a big cruiser.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the encouragement, I will definitely demo one. I would prefer to stay with Triumph. I think Corbin nailed the Fleetliner, but man, is it pricey. A used bike sure would take some of the sting out of the cost, though. More to follow when the weather breaks. Right now it's nothing but snow & ice outside. At least I ski :razz:

·
Registered
876 Posts
I keep looking at that Corbin Fleetliner too.. Maybe if I sold the Roadster screen and my fly screen.. but I really like the looks of my fly screen as well... :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm 27, and got a RIII Classic after havign ridden trailbikes, a ZZR-250, a Honda Super Blackbird etc... and haven't looked back.

Style, presence, power, comfort... You just can't go past them. Once you take a demo ride, you'll be convinced too :-D

[ This message was edited by: Jagwire on 2007-02-16 00:39 ]

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have a speed triple and a rocket.I like the rocket a lot more than the speedy(I have ridden the rocket a lot more)
I would definitely buy a rocket again as I would a speed triple

·
Registered
403 Posts
Absolutely!!!

[ This message was edited by: RidinSunshine on 2007-02-15 13:18 ]

·
Registered
623 Posts
On 2007-02-13 19:12, B02S4 wrote:
I've been thinking about getting a cruiser to complement my Speed 4. For reference, I previously demo'd a SM, but didn't like the forward controls or the wheezy stock 270 deg. crank motor.
I take it the dealer where you rode the SM didn't have a Rocket demo available. It's pretty obvious what the consensus is here and if you take a test ride on one you'll understand why.

That's what did it for me anyway some 2 1/2 years ago, and the Rocket's been as trouble-free as my '98 Thunderbird I traded in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes I would. I have ridden a nice selection of bikes and enjoy riding just about anything. But everytime I ride a bike other than the R3 I know why I bought it. :-D

·
Registered
623 Posts
On 2007-02-22 12:43, YETI wrote:
I love my rocket III, looking forward to riding it for many years. But no, I would NOT do it again!
What about the OTHER part of his question?

Say (just supposing since not realistic) your Rocket got boosted one night and you were lucky enough to get a replacement-value insurance check for the full purchase price. What would you buy INSTEAD?

·
Banned
141 Posts
I would probably look at the Victory Vegas or Kingpin, or a Gold-wing or the big VTX, and if there is any truth to the rumor that the Vmax is being restructured, I would definitely look at it. PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, as I really do love my rocket, I'm just sick and tired about all the (quote) (dialing-in) my rocket needs. This is my 5th cycle, 4 of them I bought new, the rocket has had more new bike issues than all three of the jap-bikes Ive owned put together. The other one was a Harley, I wont even go into what a pile of S*#% that was!

[ This message was edited by: YETI on 2007-02-22 16:52 ]

·
Registered
876 Posts
I've been pretty lucky with mine I guess.. :) I installed the TORs and cat bypass myself, then installed the Power Commander and used DynoJet's canned tune for my combination and have not had a lick of problems in 19,000 miles. No backfiring or anything.. :) I have not had mine on the dyno, but it runs excellent.. smooth power across the entire RPM range. The dang rev limiter gets in my way sometimes though.. hahaha

I do really like the Victory line up too, but the bags on the KingPin are tiny.. beatiful bikes though ,and they were on my list when I was making sure I wanted a Rocket.. :) I had a Road Glide before the Rocket, but luckily, someone else had already spent the Harley tax to get it to perform to normal bike standards.. :) It was a great, reliable bike but not enough oomph for me.. :)

·
Banned
141 Posts
Hey tbsrider, you mentioned that you did the power commander, and that you have no backfiring issues, I have the jardines and the PCIII, and I do have some popping on deceleration. The dealer that did the work says this is normal, and I have other bikes with after market exhaust on them and they do it to. I was under the impression though, that the PCIII was to put and end to this because of the way it works with the fuel injection, being that this is my first fuel injected motorcycle I'm wondering if this popping is anything to be concerned about? the dealer did a custom mapping, and dyno, so I think it was done right, but there is alot more of this popping on deceleration than before, with just the jardines and no PCIII. If you have any info it might be helpful. thanks

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yes, I would do it all over again. I consider myself a true "Triumph Guy", and would buy it for that reason alone. As it turned out, I ordered mine as soon as they announced they were coming out with it. It was MORE than I expected & I've had very little trouble with it. As I waited for them to be made, I had my eyes on a Victory Kingpin (just "in case" something went wrong) Would now probably consider a Hardley over a Victory since I've "rented" a Softail & was impressed with the workmanship. But to answer your question, in a heart beat! :hammer:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts