Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm currently in the market for a Thruxton and have found a 2005 demo model at a dealership for $6,200 OTD.

It's got 450 miles on it and is pretty clean.

It's not my 1st color choice, but I'll probably paint it anyway.

My only hesitation is how hard were those first 450 miles???

Supposedly the bike was given to a couple of magazines to do write-ups on. :( I figure those guys don't give a ***** about proper break-in and the bike was thrashed about.

The flip side is that it's a Thruxton, not a crotch rocket, so maybe it wasn't ridden THAT hard...???

I'm super anal about my bikes and treat 'em better than they probably deserve to be...lol

Am I stressing, or should I jump on it?

Thanks and have a safe New Year!!!

JOHN

·
Registered
799 Posts
No,
The resasons why...

One thing it has 450 miles X 5 = mucho miles - hard miles.

You can buy a brand new one for 8,000 - its worth it when it comes down to repairs and worries.
If your a wrencher and need the 1,800 bucks - then go for it. Never know it may never break - but I would not bet on it.

Is the demo at N. County Yamaha/Triumph?

On the other hand you are into Gracie Jiujitsu and you can always put them into a head lock if something goes wrong
:mad: - lol

[ This message was edited by: Whitehurst on 2006-12-31 19:13 ]

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
450 miles ain't all that. As far as warranties are concerned, dealerships cover demo bikes just like they would a new bike. Unless you think Triumphs are of poor quality - I would not buy it, but other than that, I don't think you will have anything to wory about.

Buy it. Enjoy it. And use the saved money on upgrades, etc

·
Registered
827 Posts
If you can get it for a good price, do it. I'm the third owner of my 2005 Bonnie and the original owner bought it from the dealer as a Demo with 900 miles on it. No problems since purchased from the dealer? And it's still under warranty!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Yup, I bought my Thruxton as a demo bike. Its backed by the Triumph bad boy two year warranty, and I plan on having enough miles in to find any problems before its up.

Didn't bother me a bit, and 13,000 miles later its running fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not only would I, but I did. I didn't get quite the price you're being offered, but mine did have the 600 mile service done 2 days before I bought it. For me, it was a no-brainer. As others have said, the warranty only starts once the bike is sold.

·
Banned
798 Posts
Demos need love too.

Buy it, bank the leftover. How many bikes bought new REALLY got their full break in anyway???? Probably not many.

That's a 23% discount! Not bad mark down when you think about the fact that you would probably not have made it to the full break in without going throttle crazy too.

The shampoo guys say "Rinse and repeat". The motorcycle guys say keep it legal for x number of miles. All these rules get broken. If you're worried, get them (dealer) to sign something that says it was broken in correctly. Then you'll have em by the short and curlies if something lets go.

kjazz

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I wouldn't even hesitate. I'm the third owner of my TBS, and I have no idea how the previous owners treated her. By the way she looks I'd have to say great, but I don't know for sure. The first owner could have spent the first 100 miles close to the red line. Triumph makes quality bikes, so just buy it.

Kem

·
Banned
1,342 Posts
Yup - Mine was demo and it had almost 800 miles on it when I bought and was still clean as a whistle. It was also fitted with aftermarket bars and pipes (which is what sold me on it.) My figuring - I get a couple mods on it already for free, a lower cost, and don't have to worry about break-in miles for sure. Besides - as mentioned already - the warranty starts from the day I purchased it. I've put 6,000 mi on it in 6 months and a ton more mods to boot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got a Thruxton demo too. Ok, mine had 25 miles on it. Looked like it was stored by the salt-water; lots of corrosion. But...the corrosion is covered under warranty, and the only other downside is that the header pipes were blue. I had them kick in a 4 year extended warranty (to make a total of 6 years).

I proceeded to thrash it for the break-in (hit the rev-limit numerous times, but kept cycling the RPMs), but I'm just following that religion.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replys guys, I really appreciate it.

I decided to go for it and just got it home tonight. :-D

Ordered up the Predators, the Airbox kit, the AI Removal kit and some CRG's also from British Customs.

Should have it all in a few days, so I'll have plenty of questions later. I'll do some searching and check out the Carb & Jetting links I've seen posted here.

Now, about that rear fender.............

JOHN

·
Registered
57 Posts
You're gonna love the Predators. Just got them on and they sound sweeeet.

I have before and after vid clips but have no idea how to post them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts